Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2015, 01:38 AM   #1606

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You have a sharp eye. I'm sure CSC has a lot of extra stickers remaining from the camouflage wrap production; I don't know what they plan to do with them. Personally, I prefer the Zongshen logo.
Well, it's official ... the logo is changing to CSC.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=14922

Old 01-31-2015, 01:50 AM   #1607

Boo. I understand the business decision, but boo.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2015, 04:30 AM   #1608

CSC is doing all the work to bring the bike to North America. I prefer the Zongshen logo, but I'm not getting agitated over a couple of stickers.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-31-2015, 05:36 AM   #1609
Banned

To me, as close to a "perfect" dash, as humanly achievable.

Spud, u nailed it, GREAT PIC, and even better design.
Clear analog tach, with sweep needle, and large enough #'s to see, night or day and easily readable speedo! Perfect, IMHO...
I'd LOVE to add the accessory panels, but 100 extra isn't doable currently:(..
Meds, Dr's, unexpected expenses, some related to Hep C, all conspire to cut out most extravagancies....except (hopefully, barring a DISASTER) the bike!
hehe After all this drooling and anticipation, I 'm ready!

Old 01-31-2015, 06:40 AM   #1610

Really is to bad about the branding. If Zongshen's goal is to be a worldwide brand they are not making any steps forward by not controlling they're brand. Why is rebranding so endemic in the Chinese manufacturing culture. I'll suggest that it allows them to build to a price point and sell with little consequence. The quality and value equations are ignored for the sake of profit. In a quality culture ownership of the product ensures continuing high standards.

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Old 01-31-2015, 06:52 AM   #1611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
Really is to bad about the branding. If Zongshen's goal is to be a worldwide brand they are not making any steps forward by not controlling they're brand. Why is rebranding so endemic in the Chinese manufacturing culture. I'll suggest that it allows them to build to a price point and sell with little consequence. The quality and value equations are ignored for the sake of profit. In a quality culture ownership of the product ensures continuing high standards.
I agree, but Zongshen is not interested in the North American market. That is why Zongshen America closed its doors several years ago, and CSC is importing the RX3 to these shores. Zongshen believes it cannot compete with the widespread availability of slightly used, Japanese motorcycles for sale in the United States, and it is probably correct. Zongshen is interested in selling motorcycles to its huge domestic market, and the rest of the third world. If Zongshen thought it could compete successfully here, it would not have shut down the operations of Zongshen America.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 AM   #1612

Zongshen allowed the RX3 to be rebadged as the Minsk TRX 300i in Belarus, because it was not interested in establishing a corporate presence in that relatively small marketplace. However, Zongshen believes it can compete in Russia, so it established a presence in that country as Zongshen Russia.

http://translate.google.com/translat...u/&prev=search

Zongshen believes its market strength in North America is roughly equivalent to its market strength in Belarus, but it believes it can sell a significant number of motorcycles in Russia. Therefore, Zongshen shut down the operations of Zongshen America, and either maintained, or established new operations as Zongshen Russia.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #1613

Lest I be misunderstood, I do believe Zongshen is interested in improving quality control, developing new products, and expanding its markets. However, Zongshen is content to sell containers of motorcycles to North America via CSC. Zongshen withdrew its presence as Zongshen America, because it believes it can sell many more motorcycles in the third world. Zongshen obviously believes it isn't cost effective to maintain a corporate presence in the United States, and it is probably correct in that estimation.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 01-31-2015, 08:15 AM   #1614

Rambling CX3 Thoughts

Thanks again to posters on this thread: its been great following developments while waiting through a cold winter to get my hands on my RX-3.

Random thoughts: Press reported on January 26 that the West Coast longshoremen were close to an agreement, but nothing since. One article said it would take months to get Los Angeles port back to normal, which reminded me of a point made by a poster on this thread.

I concur on comments on rebadging. I liked the looks of the Zongshen badge but would be happy to build some recognition for CSC. I presume the rebadge also changes the logo on the sidecases and the instrument cluster. At least we are not going to have to explain what "Honley" means. (And what does Honley mean, anyway?)

And good on CSC for keeping the RX-3 in the motorcycle press. Motorcycle.com just had an update with CSC's information on the accessories.

A recent question was posed on the volume of the stock luggage. I would guess low to mid-20 liters per bag. But I'd also like to know the permitted weight for the bags.

And speaking of accessories, one of my 'dream' options would be a set of extra size lids that could replace the lids on the stock bags. Swap the locks, bolt the new lids in place, and have space (possibly) for a full face helmet or two. Honda did that with their NT700V (aka Deauville), offering wider accessory lids for the integrated panniers. Although only offered in Europe, most US NT owners (including me) have swapped. But the side panniers still have the original modest weight limit, so you need to be careful.

And last, based on the users manual, it seems the RX-3 has a chain with a master link, rather than a continuous chain. One more check in the "plus" category Means you'll be able to remove chain for a good occasional cleaning (kerosene recommended), just be sure the mount the master link clip in the right direction.

Last edited by NoVa Rider; 01-31-2015 at 11:26 AM. Reason: RX-3, not CX3. Sorry

Old 01-31-2015, 09:52 AM   #1615
Banned

Re the accessories list..

Spud, the grip warmers, how difficult is the install? How long do they last usually? Has anyone resolved the "handlebar (alum) pulling the heat away" issue? (How much of an issue is it, really?)
My list, currently (repost) PLUS CSC accessories added when they made them available...CSC accessories:Tank Bag, oil filters (until the stainless reusable ones are available).Is there a list for these anywhere or has someone started trying to source them, yet?Count me in, pls if so!
Ebay (alredy have it!! Ram mount for the bike and GPS!
RMMC sourced: Bar "Mitts", some type of grip heating, loop bag, led taillight/blinker assy,heated vest, header(possible) if a pipe bomb gets developed, Electronic Jet Kit, and exhaust.
Seat solution to give some leg room and more comfortable longer rides in comfort.

For the initial buy and trip home:
Bar Mitts & heaters (if cold), loop bag, seat solution of some type (air?) until seat customization gets done., GPS mounted(have Ram mount now, heated vest, (if cold), drilled muffler central baffles, open air box, and EJK (if available). MAY drive to Dobrek, if needed, for EJK manufacture template.
Someone else posted on here they were also considering this as well.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:34 AM   #1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by detours View Post
Well, it's official ... the logo is changing to CSC.

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=14922
It's not a deal breaker by any means, but,

Old 01-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #1617

People, you guys have short memories. Then again, not sure if this will play out the same here (i.e. exclusive distributorship which is probably the case due to CSC doing all the emissions stuff) but the Spud-based Zongshen was sold under three brand names in the US: Zongshen, Qlink, and Vento at one time. The Vento-branded bike had a camo-graphics scheme, and I don't remember what colors the Qlink was available in, while the Zongshen came in black, and super-duper fast, Spudrider orange and I believe one more forgettable color. I liked the camo theme of the Vento, but overall I coveted the orange Spudrider color the most.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-31-2015, 04:24 PM   #1618

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
Lest I be misunderstood, I do believe Zongshen is interested in improving quality control, developing new products, and expanding its markets. However, Zongshen is content to sell containers of motorcycles to North America via CSC. Zongshen withdrew its presence as Zongshen America, because it believes it can sell many more motorcycles in the third world. Zongshen obviously believes it isn't cost effective to maintain a corporate presence in the United States, and it is probably correct in that estimation.
I completely agree, hence my "boo" commentary above. I'm not agitated by the decision to mask their brand, but I am disappointed. I admire Zongshen, and I'd be pleased to have their name on my clutch cover.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 01-31-2015, 04:27 PM   #1619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolftrax View Post
I would say there is an element of truth and reality there, but not necessarily with Zongshen. They (IMHO) are a breed apart from most Chinese manufacturers.

Despite rebranding, Zong makes an excellent product. Aside from the rebranding, they have total control over manufacturing and quality.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:29 PM   #1620

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
And last, based on the users manual, it seems the RX-3 has a chain with a master link, rather than a continuous chain. One more check in the "plus" category Means you'll be able to remove chain for a good occasional cleaning (kerosene recommended), just be sure the mount the master link clip in the right direction.
I'm also careful to mount the chain in the same direction, and the same side up. I don't know if it makes any difference at all, but I do it anyway.