Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2016, 06:48 PM   #1

Hello from Iowa!

Hi everyone, I'm a 19 year old guy from Iowa who is mostly new to motorcycles. Right now I'm riding an rps hawk and looking forward to getting a csc tt250 in the next few weeks. I only just finished assembly of the hawk yesterday but it seems like a great bike so far.

As a new rider I do have a question:

I haven't adjusted the carburetor yet and the bike won't idle, so when I was riding I gave too little gas and accidentally killed the engine while in 1st or 2nd gear. This caused the rear wheel to seemingly lock up and caused me to slide a bit until I stopped on the gravel.

Is this normal for motorcycles when the engine dies in low gear? I wouldn't think it would happen if I was going faster in a higher gear, but it's not something I'd like to test out...

Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDryder View Post
Hi everyone, I'm a 19 year old guy from Iowa who is mostly new to motorcycles. Right now I'm riding an rps hawk and looking forward to getting a csc tt250 in the next few weeks. I only just finished assembly of the hawk yesterday but it seems like a great bike so far.

I haven't adjusted the carburetor yet and the bike won't idle, so when I was riding I gave too little gas and accidentally killed the engine while in 1st or 2nd gear. This caused the rear wheel to seemingly lock up and caused me to slide a bit until I stopped on the gravel.

Is this normal for motorcycles when the engine dies in low gear? I wouldn't think it would happen if I was going faster in a higher gear, but it's not something I'd like to test out...
just find the idle adjust screw and turn it up, right?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
just find the idle adjust screw and turn it up, right?
I thought I needed to do something like that, but I haven't had the chance to check for the screw yet. I'll have to look at the bike later.

Aside from the idle issue, the rear wheel locking when the engine dies is normal? I figured it should roll to a stop.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

You are a first time four stroke rider. It is normal for the rear wheel to do that. It's called engine compression braking.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #5

I had it happen to me upon clutch release in second gear, it's called clean your drawers.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-27-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

It's a common problem for two stroke riders getting on a four stroke for the first time. Going from a four stroke to a two stroke is also scary with out that third brake in the first dirt corner.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDryder View Post

Welcome!

At the risk of sounding like your Dad, please take a MSF course; it'll teach you terrific skills for the road.

Turning the idle up might only be a Band-Aid. If the slow jet is too small, it'll continue to give you trouble, especially in colder weather.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-28-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

Yep, the only prior motorcycle experience I've had was on a little 2 stroke Yamaha rt 100 when I was younger. That bike never seemed to lock up to my memory which made me question this one.

Right now I'm just riding the hawk as a dirtbike. It's actually my brother's bike and he will likely keep using it mostly on dirt. He's letting me use it a bit to get practice until the tt250 arrives. I've discovered I'm not that great at riding yet and I can take an MSF course close to home so I'll probably sign up.
Thanks for all the help!

Old 06-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #9

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on the Hawk and the upcoming TT...... Ride safe, be smart and have fun.....oh and big time ditto to Weld...the class is a good idea.

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-29-2016, 12:48 AM   #10

When I did the MS a few years ago (1981) we had Yamaha DT100 Honda Twinstar 185 bikes. I always got a DT 100. I was a big boy on a tiny bike when I was 14.

Old 06-29-2016, 04:16 AM   #11

Thumbs Up

welcome to the board there is a ton of good info on tuning up a hawk here and soon to be pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the tt250. use that search engine
I too am awaiting my imminent tt250 by the way, what color did you order? he,he,he
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 06-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #12

greetings to iowa! that locking means that you have good compression ie the motor stops the rear wheel from turning. if you don t want the wheel to lock up you need to pull the clutch.

you ll work out how the bike behaves, but you need a reliable ride to begin with. getting a steady idle is a good start, and you ll find posts here on how to do it.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post
When I did the MS a few years ago (1981) we had Yamaha DT100 Honda Twinstar 185 bikes. I always got a DT 100. I was a big boy on a tiny bike when I was 14.
As someone who is 6' 3", I quickly became too tall for the rt 100. I actually rode a friend's old pw50 once as a joke...I'm not sure who had more fun, me or the people watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
welcome to the board there is a ton of good info on tuning up a hawk here and soon to be pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about the tt250. use that search engine
I too am awaiting my imminent tt250 by the way, what color did you order? he,he,he
I've been following some threads here very closely which has been very helpful. Also I was going to purchase the tt250 in black, but I decided on white since it's the fastest color.