Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #1

Head Scratching training wheels

i got my son a 49cc coolster, anyone know if honda or any other training wheels that fit without any or only light mods ... i cant spend 1/2 what the bike cost for the wheels the dealers want for a set, when yamaha and honda ones are on ebay for $60 or less

Old 02-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

I can't help you with the question of fitment. I have always felt that training wheels were detrimental to learning how to ride. I don't know your son's age or situation, but if he can balance on anything, he should easily take to riding a mini moto.

I'm not trying to be funny or a jerk by referring to this video, the little girl will show you how well a child adapts.

Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

I also think that training wheels can be a detriment more than a help.

That being said, I know that Taotao shows training wheels on its site, and I am pretty sure the Taotao and the Coolster bikes are near identical, but, then again, Taotao does not currently carry a 49cc bike. Here is the link to their 110cc bike, and if you look at the photos, they show the training wheels.

http://taotao.us/index.cfm/dirt-bikes/db10/

Excalibur Motorsports is a couple of miles from Taotao, and if Taotao will not sell you retail, then Excalibur will; again, assuming these wheels will even work with your 49cc Coolster. I can most assure, Excalibur will NOT know if they will fit, but take a look and ask Taotao if they know. Can't hurt to ask...

909-591-8800 ask for Alan or Wade.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #4

i agree with you both, but his bio father has convinced him it will kill him, so now he is afraid to try it ... i got some off eaby and am sure i can force them to fit ... lol ... also picked up a 49cc quad for $75, think when i put some tubes in it and clean the carb, it will run fine ... motor feels real strong when pulling, and it has nice spark, so ill try to get the carb off after work in the morning and take a look ... at a 25:1 mix it does not take much to gunk up a little carb like that ... but for now, it is off to bed for a short nap before work ... btw, he is only 5 and just started to ride a bike at the end of summer

Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #5

The quad is a 2 stroke 49cc? That would be unusual. Please post pics.

/

Old 02-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
The quad is a 2 stroke 49cc? That would be unusual. Please post pics. /
i will do it in the am, it looks a lot like the bike

Old 02-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #7

I have experience with a quad like that. You can get away with a little leaner mixture by using synthetic two-smoke oil.

If you can figure out how to limit the throttle, it'll be easier to teach him how to ride. One way is by adding a piece of tubing above the slide (over the cable), to prevent the throttle from opening fully.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I have experience with a quad like that. You can get away with a little leaner mixture by using synthetic two-smoke oil.

If you can figure out how to limit the throttle, it'll be easier to teach him how to ride. One way is by adding a piece of tubing above the slide (over the cable), to prevent the throttle from opening fully.
never thought of that before, thank you ... i am hoping that with some time on the quad he will learn a little better about how the throttle works, even though one is thumb and one is twist ... got the quad started up today, but i cant get the carb to stop leaking (bad bowl gasket) , so for $10 i just ordered another new carb ... new tubes on the way, as well as a new set of clutch pads and springs (2 of the 3 springs were broken) so for now, i am into it for about $125 and it should go like new again ... still has 1 broken finder, and no nose plastic, but i dont think he will care about that to much ... all in all, i think it was well worth the $75 i gave for it, and the 2 1/2 hour one way drive

Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

here is the bike and the "new" quad
Name:  DSCN9906.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  93.6 KB

Name:  DSCN9907.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  DSCN9908.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  91.8 KB

Old 02-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Ah yes I see those little 2 stroke engines now. I was expecting the standard Honda horizontal clone engines. Put some videos up of them running when you get them going good.

/

Old 02-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #11

bike runs like a top, starts first pull every time i bought it new and it has about 10 minutes run time on it ... was looking to sell it to get a quad, but now i dont really need to now ... the quad sounds so much tougher than the bike though ... cant wait to get the parts i ordered already here so i can get it moving ... he was having a blast just sitting on it today ... not sure if i listed what i ordered or not, but it is a short list ... tubes, carb and clutch pads with springs only need the springs, but it costs less for the pads with the springs ... so in total $75 for the quad, $10 for the carb, $10 for the clutch, and $20 for all new tubes ... if he likes it and rides it, i will get the finder it has broken for $12 for 2, and the front plastic (if i can find it) ... i dont think that is too bad for a quad

Old 09-13-2016, 04:14 PM   #12

Barlow, how is that coolster dirt bike holding up? I think I'm gonna get one for my 5 and 7 year olds for Christmas? Can you limit the throttle? This will be their 1st motorcycle...