Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2015, 07:33 PM   #16

Great idea on the "pre-flight" check over , I do the same and having been a Helicopter (Cobra) mechanic in the Army a few hundred years ago, I also have marked many of the bolts with paint, always want to know if that "Jesus Nut" comes loose .
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
Great idea on the "pre-flight" check over , I do the same and having been a Helicopter (Cobra) mechanic in the Army a few hundred years ago, I also have marked many of the bolts with paint, always want to know if that "Jesus Nut" comes loose .
Jesus nut? The one that holds the stick & pushes the rudders?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM   #18

Back to RTKing

Latest ride report, RT?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Jesus nut? The one that holds the stick & pushes the rudders?
LOL! That may be how my CFI (certified flight instructor) refers to me. :-P

Been a little busy with work and the family, so no real rides to speak of. But it looks like Joe's got something cooking on Saturday to ride up in the San Gabriel mountains. (See the CSC blog.) Wish I could make it... but have to take the car to have 4 tires replaced before (if?) El Nino whips up into a frenzy. Maybe I'll get up to Santiago Canyon on Sunday AM, and if I do, I'll write about it here.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #20

It's a WELL MADE bike

Now that I'm getting to put a few miles on the bike:

I've had mine taken a prat, removed all the plastic, the carb, changed the tires and rear wheel, installed headlight modulator, relay's, re-shaped and covered the seat, installed bar risers, removed all the crash bars for re-paint so I've been "into" the bike and I can say it's well built, even over built in some ways.

That rear passenger grab rail/top box holder... Man if you ever want to shed some weight that's the item. The Tourfella racks would drop weight for sure; that grab rail thingy must weigh 67 pounds (I swear, maybe 67.5), it would make a great Bruce Anchor for any boat up to 23 foot.

The wire harness seems sufficient, better than that old KLR I once had. And there is plenty of wire under the tank to allow for a one inch bar riser as I did, no strain.

Somethings could be better, at least for me. The OEM bags leak, could be better but as a standard item they are ok better than none for me. I will probably change them next year.

Now that I got the carb and performance issue taken care of I can say it's a very good bike for the money, I'd be willing to bet that this actually starts a new class of adventure bikes. With the spreading of the RX3 around the world as it appears to be doing, I'd think other manufactures might go this way, there is a real market for this, not everyone wants, needs or can afford a 1250GS or Tiger or the other BIG bikes.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
LOL! That may be how my CFI (certified flight instructor) refers to me. :-P

Been a little busy with work and the family, so no real rides to speak of. But it looks like Joe's got something cooking on Saturday to ride up in the San Gabriel mountains. (See the CSC blog.) Wish I could make it... but have to take the car to have 4 tires replaced before (if?) El Nino whips up into a frenzy. Maybe I'll get up to Santiago Canyon on Sunday AM, and if I do, I'll write about it here.
Ah, so you live near the Mother Ship,,,,,,, er,,,,,,, CSC Central.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceburner View Post
Now that I'm getting to put a few miles on the bike:

That rear passenger grab rail/top box holder... Man if you ever want to shed some weight that's the item. The Tourfella racks would drop weight for sure; that grab rail thingy must weigh 67 pounds (I swear, maybe 67.5), it would make a great Bruce Anchor for any boat up to 23 foot.

Somethings could be better, at least for me. The OEM bags leak, could be better but as a standard item they are ok better than none for me. I will probably change them next year.
Between You and Spud, I'm impressed with how much customization has been done on what the uninformed would call a *throw away bike*.

Yes, that grab rail is a lot of metal. Been idly pondering what I might bodge up as an alternative to that. Perhaps remove the rear seat and start a luggage rack further forward, also removing the passenger foot pegs. After all, it's best to keep luggage as low as practical and as far forward as possible.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Between You and Spud, I'm impressed with how much customization has been done on what the uninformed would call a *throw away bike*.

Yes, that grab rail is a lot of metal. Been idly pondering what I might bodge up as an alternative to that. Perhaps remove the rear seat and start a luggage rack further forward, also removing the passenger foot pegs. After all, it's best to keep luggage as low as practical and as far forward as possible.
Jay In Milpitas, funny, I've been thinking of doing something with that pass seat to. I don't ride two up often, maybe five times all year on the YBR. Unfortunately due to a neck injury and constant pain, my wonderful wife can not ride with me much, a helmet is too much weight after a few miles and then this RX3 is way too high for her to get on. So I have been thinking of making the seat more of an additional storage box, great place to keep the tool roll, spare tube, Duct Tape and other paraphernalia.

And those rear foot pegs are HEAVY too, another "over build".

Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

Woke up early this AM to do a ride and ended up putting about 50 miles on the bike. Some observations:

1. The bike is really happy all the way up to terminal speed (on today's ride, about 81 mph.) There is some buzziness after 75 mph, but the bike didn't seem to mind cruising with the throttle nearly pinned.
2. I purposely rode the bike over the 73 Toll Road because the hills are about as steep as I'll encounter just about anywhere where I'd ride. (Other steep highways are the 101 in Castaic, and I-15 going over Gorman Pass on the way to Vegas.) With my weight (250 pounds) and no panniers (just top case), I had to drop to 5th gear, but still maintained 62 mph (GPS speed) over the steepest hill on the 73 toll road.
3. I really like the bike's handlng. I only have mild twisties on Laguna Canyon Road, but will try Ortega Highway or Santiago Canyon next time. The bike leans into turns with ease, and the wider handle bars makes maintaining a line (through the turn) easy.
4. The front brakes, as others have noted, are OK. I don't think they're bad, but they just don't give an immediate bite on the rotor. The rear brakes feel great and subconsciously, I was using them a bit more as they were a bit more effective. I understand that CSC is working to bring us sintered metal brake pads and, when those become available, I'll give them a try. I think that's all that's needed to give the bike a bit of an edge in the braking department.
5. Fall is here in Southern Calfornia. It was cool this morning, and I wish I had worn the inner liner to my mesh jacket. But for the next few months, I am seriously thinking that heated grips (that CSC just released) would be a great thing to add. That and the hand guards would make me a (mostly) happy camper. Depending on how cool it gets, a heated vest would be nice too.

Other things I noticed, but not necessarily RX-3 Cyclone related?

1. When I had my previous motorcycles (years back), I learned that Harley riders don't give the motorcyclists' wave. This is still true today.
2. People sure seem to be in a hurry lately. I had a guy in a pickup truck go full-throttle just to get in front of me, only to slam on the brakes and slow to 20 mph. Not sure what that was about, but a little lane splitting up to the traffic light and onto the freeway onramp, and he was behind me.
3. I must be a magnet for really peeved-off Prius and Lexus drivers. In just about any vehicle I have, I always find Prius' flying by at very un-eco speeds. Seems they picked the wrong car for their purposes. And Lexus drivers... just seem so oblivious around me as they cut me off without a second glance and refuse to make eye contact. That's OK, I'm a magnet for mosquitos too... and have learned there's not much I can do about them other than to not put myself in proximity to mosquitoes. Same goes for Prius and Lexus drivers... as much as I can.
4. Just for safety's sake, I'm thinking of replacing the RX-3 Cyclone's horn with a pair of Hella Supertone horns (wired via relay.) I think a dual-tone horn gets cagers' attention more readily. Heck, it's not just the RX-3... I need to add those to my Jetta as well.

Anyway - enough babble about me, more about the bike. I'm still impressed by the RX-3 Cyclone. It's not meant to be a super-slabber motorcycle for triple digit speeds, but it does 75-80 mph, and it'll do it all day long. (Besides, faster than that on just about any highway gets you lots of attention from the constabulary.) And as an adventure bike, knowing it can handle pavement, fire roads, and any speed between 5-80 mph makes it a really versatile machine for my needs. I would not hesitate to take the bike on a long ride up to Mammoth Lakes, and out to Bodie. In fact, that's something I am thinking about for late Spring 2016... a ride out to the Eastern Sierra, and out to Bodie and into Nevada on the dirt trails.

Hope everyone has a great weekend on their RX-3s!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #25

Thanks for posting your first impressions of the RX3. If you don't mind, please post this information in the RX3 Megathread, as well.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...13440&page=285

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
4. Just for safety's sake, I'm thinking of replacing the RX-3 Cyclone's horn with a pair of Hella Supertone horns (wired via relay.) I think a dual-tone horn gets cagers' attention more readily. Heck, it's not just the RX-3... I need to add those to my Jetta as well.
These are awesome:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #27

Yes, thanks for the nice, detailed review!

A suggestion on the front brakes. Go to an empty parking lot and do enough emergency stops to heat up the brakes. Then do some mild braking and let them cool down. Repeat two or three more times. The hard stops really help to bed in the brakes and improve braking power.

But I'll still be ordering the sintered brakes as soon as they're available.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 10-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #28

I lived in OC for 27 years before moving to Peoria, AZ and dread facing any of the drivers, be they Prius or Lexus, on my return trips. Although a louder horn would be of some benefit, I would prefer 360` mirrors. Good luck and stay safe.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L