Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2019, 06:56 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to maxhdrm
Rear sprocket replacement instructions

Anyone know if there are any tutorial/instructions on replacing the rear sprocket? I have seen front sprocket tutorial/instructions but not rear sprocket. I am approaching 9000 miles on my RX3 and figure I will have to replace my chain and sprockets soon! Thanks!

Old 12-17-2019, 02:43 PM   #2

Remove wheel, remove sprocket bolts, replace sprocket, install bolts. No tutorials are needed for either sprocket, dead simple jobs done in a few minutes.

I get all my sprockets from Mr. Spacely.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #3

You Need Heat!

I would highly recommend a torch, either propane or acetylene, to heat the bolt bosses of the hub. This is due to the Loctite red that Zongshen uses, to ensure that the bolts do not vibrate loose. This stuff is tenacious as hell; it holds too well, in my opinion; you may end up stripping the bolt heads out if you don't heat them. I stripped one on my 2015, as I was swapping out the sprocket bolts. When I did the rest, I put a socket and ratchet on the bolt, applied torque and heated the hub boss at the same time, until the bolt broke free easily. I then cleaned out the old Loctite Red in the holes with a tap and replaced it with Loctite 243 Blue, as I installed the new bolts.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

If you don't have an impact, I'd agree with that. I found that a medium impact driver broke them free quite well. Also, high quality tight-fitting sockets, not junk sockets.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:00 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to maxhdrm
Thanks! May not need a tutorial, but these are the tips that a non-mechanic like my self needs!

Old 12-18-2019, 11:36 AM   #6

I changed the rear sprocket on my 2018 and didn't need heat or an impact wrench or anything of the kind. Maybe they changed that for 2019+?

Definitely put at least blue loctite on when you reinstall.

If you're changing sprockets, consider going down one tooth on the front and up 2 on the rear. Totally transforms the bike.