Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #1

problem - fuel leak

Darn. Was away for three days and came back. My bike had a small wet patch near the kickstand. Fuel. Where the fuel petcock attaches to the gas tank is leaking...pulled off - gasket looks okay. Might need tank replaced (under warranty)...one of the nuts where the petcock screw goes into is quite ratched. Might try goop or fuel stopleak or something first.
Has this happened to anyone else?

R.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:11 AM   #2

Haven't had that happen, but mine leaks from the lousy gas cap.
I have fuel marks in the paint on the tank cover. Might look into
a new tank. I have the metal one and am looking for a plastic one.
Good luck to ya...

Old 07-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #3

Sure it's just not the fuel line? I've heard some have problems with the fuel line not being attached properly.

"The beatings will continue until moral improves"

Old 07-02-2006, 02:01 PM   #4

The tank that came with my bike had a bad weld where the tube that petcock screws on meets the main tank. at first it wasn't leaking, but after 100 miles it vibrated open and I would get fuel on the floor. I would get it fixed before riding the bike, becuase my fuel was first running to the engine then the floor. Hot metal and gas don't mix. I ended up replacing the tank, but as soon as I get a feed welder I'll fix the old one. Also I would change out the rubber hoses on these bikes, their rubber gets stiff and cracked about after a year. The hoses that need replacing on my bike are, the fuel line to the carb, the carb bowl drain line, and the oil overflow line off the engine.
Just because something is cheap doesn't mean it good, it also doesn't mean it's bad, an item's value can only be calculated by comparing how much it costs, how much use you get out of it, and how well an item preformes it's intended use.

Old 07-21-2006, 07:14 PM   #5

Similar to what was described above - my tank was leaking through the plastic that surrounded one of the nuts the petcock screws into...there was nothing to do except replace the fuel tank (which I did yesterday - under warranty). If it happens again, it probably could be sealed with a good plastic weld job (which I probably can do on my own).

I'm a bit disappointed but, actually, other than a damaged brake part (due to shipping) this has been the only defect. No big deal to replace (5 mins?) either.

R.