Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2015, 02:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
There's always mail order. I'll bet you could get one mailed from Active Components or someplace similar for cheap.
You are def correct on this! Im sure with enough research i may find something that may work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Stock 6N4B-2A-3
102*49*94 | Terminal position http://www.gs-battery.com.tw/images/...erminal-2w.gif = W17
This http://www.active123.com/BT6V5-6-Vol...-Prodview.html seems can be jammed in
Hmmm you know..you may be right on that one...i will def need to yank the battery out of the bike and do some measuring! a SLA type battery is def a step in the right direction.
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-19-2015, 10:24 AM   #17

I think the battery that HB provided a link to is exactly what I used. YMMV.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-19-2015, 12:22 PM   #18

Quote:
I think the battery that HB provided a link to is exactly what I used. YMMV.
It looks like a battery pack that would be used for emergency lighting and battery back up for alarm panels as well as for UBCs for computers. Those i know i can get here in town as i have seen them in many places before...Just never considered their use in motorcycles. It would only make sense it would work fine on a more basic bike like my DT since all it would be doing is powering the lighting.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 08-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #19

This battery looks to be around the same size dimensions as the one HB posted its lower rated at 4AH but as Weld pointed out thats the size of battery he ran in his bikes...So...i may actually try this one first to see if it will work.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/6-...l#.VdUT831BkkQ
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-20-2015, 10:57 AM   #20

Why not? Price is right.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-20-2015, 02:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Why not? Price is right.
This is true...the only thing i do not like is changing from the larger ring terminals already on the bike to the spade terminals but eh....i may just make a jumper that has a ring terminal on one end and a spade on the other and bolt them to the existing wires then wrap them heavily with electrical tape...other option is replacing the ring terminals with decent quality spade terminals and making adapters that are the same as the jumpers i mentioned above...just reversed..
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-20-2015, 02:49 PM   #22

Could you use bullet connectors to be able to switch them out whenever you wanted? That way you have two leads each with either spade or ring terminals to use on whatever application you wanted. Not sure if that would work.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:11 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbiskut View Post
Could you use bullet connectors to be able to switch them out whenever you wanted? That way you have two leads each with either spade or ring terminals to use on whatever application you wanted. Not sure if that would work.
It could def be done that way, But then again if i use good quality spade connectors like ones from Grote with their heat shrink sleeves and the new ratcheting crimper i have i would only need one set of spare leads which would be the spade to ring terminal adapters.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-21-2015, 12:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
i may just make a jumper that has a ring terminal on one end and a spade on the other and bolt them to the existing wires then wrap them heavily with electrical tape..
Exactly what I did.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Exactly what I did.
Nice! Good to know i was on the right track with this...Now i just gotta ask..can i charge these SLA batteries with a normal charger or will i need to look at getting a charger like you got from ebay Weld?
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-21-2015, 12:43 AM   #26

For the price, I just decided to grab the eBay charger and not risk battery damage. I presume that a smart charger would do, but I'm not sure.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 AM   #27

Quote:
For the price, I just decided to grab the eBay charger and not risk battery damage. I presume that a smart charger would do, but I'm not sure.

Do you happen to have a link for one of the chargers you got? I may go that route just to play it safe as well but im not against the idea of getting one of the Genius chargers as well to try...if i cant charge the SLA with it..i can still use that unit on other vehicles like the Rat rod..i already have a Honda smart charger for the Interceptor.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 08-21-2015, 01:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
...can i charge these SLA batteries with a normal charger
What's the amp & volt output of that "normal" charger?
The older "dumb" charger often use linear power supply+ some "bridge ie. Charge voltage up & low as mains voltage changes …
This http://www.aliexpress.com/item/US-Pl...264347085.html is the newer "dumb". Steady volt output / current small enough to leave it charge overnight (won't boil it dry) ...

Last edited by humanbeing; 08-21-2015 at 02:24 AM.

Old 08-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #29

That's exactly what my charger looks like. Sorry, I don't have the link anymore.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
What's the amp & volt output of that "normal" charger?
The older "dumb" charger often use linear power supply+ some "bridge ie. Charge voltage up & low as mains voltage changes …
This http://www.aliexpress.com/item/US-Pl...264347085.html is the newer "dumb". Steady volt output / current small enough to leave it charge overnight (won't boil it dry) ...
This is the charger i was looking at...i actually had one here awhile ago for another project but ended up returning it because it turned out i didnt need it at the time.

http://www.geniuschargers.com/G1100

Quote:
That's exactly what my charger looks like. Sorry, I don't have the link anymore.
Ahh ok
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: