Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2012, 11:43 PM   #16

The widely accepted list of what was allegedly wrong with that decade includes the Cold War, McCarthyism, racial segregation, self-satisfied prosperity, and empty materialism. The failings are coupled with ignoring poverty and other social problems, complacency, conformity, the suppression of women, and puritanical attitudes toward sex. In all, the conventional wisdom sees the decade as bland and boring, with commonly accepted people paralyzed with fear of war, Communism, or McCarthyism, or all three.

Amazon.com

Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
The widely accepted list of what was allegedly wrong with that decade includes the Cold War, McCarthyism, racial segregation, self-satisfied prosperity, and empty materialism. The failings are coupled with ignoring poverty and other social problems, complacency, conformity, the suppression of women, and puritanical attitudes toward sex. In all, the conventional wisdom sees the decade as bland and boring, with commonly accepted people paralyzed with fear of war, Communism, or McCarthyism, or all three.

Amazon.com
I was definitely not "of age" in the fifties, so I forgot about all those bad things. :oops: I just remember the TV show, "Happy Days." :roll: I also think about post-war prosperity, and cool, drive-in diners. I must admit, my assessment superficially overlooked the blatant racism of that era. :(

I think all days under mankind's rule are bad days, Brother Bill. I long for the Kingdom of Heaven under the Lord, Jesus Christ.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2012, 12:16 AM   #18

I think all days under mankind's rule are bad days, Brother Bill. I long for the Kingdom of Heaven under the Lord, Jesus Christ.

That, my friend, is the Truth.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:22 AM   #19

Can't say much on the 50s and in all reality was to young to care during the early part of the 60s until later when, I began to understand war and the reality of it. My early years in grade school, we lived in a small ks town about 30mi from our farm. One evening while riding my bicycle in a empty parking lot a young draftie came walking up and we started talking. He was being deployed to vietnam the next day. Even at 8 or 9yrs old, I could see the fear in his face. I never suspected it would be his last night alive in Liberal Ks. A week later his name was in the local news paper in obit section. That was when the reality set in. His face was permanently branded in my mind from that point. He's one of the reason's we go to red river nm so often. There's a Vietnam Vet Memorial not far from there and we stop every time we're there so i can pay my respect to him and all the veterans. My wife was a Marine so it's a special place for her too.

People find happiness in several ways. God, money, keeping up with the Jones, etc. The list goes on and whether we agree with others beliefs for happiness or not life goes on. I think we can all agree just by looking at the world today and thru history that man, for the most part, is uncapable of running his own life much less a kingdom. I'm speaking in general and not pointing a finger at anyone in particular as, I guess, I could point a finger at myself at times in my life for stupid things I've done that I'm not proud of but, I feel, I learned from them. I have however lived my life by the Ten Commandments because, I feel they're guide lines to happiness for me. Sorry for the rant fellas.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #20

I don't consider that to be a rant at all, Jim! Thank you for sharing your experience of the young draftee with us. I appreciate your wisdom.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #21

No rant at all. Prayers sent to the young soldier. I'm VERY glad I was born too late for that war.

I think we can all agree just by looking at the world today and thru history that man, for the most part, is uncapable of running his own life much less a kingdom.

That's a fact.

People find happiness in several ways. God, money, keeping up with the Jones, etc.

Only one of those is permanent. Solomon, a wise (although foolish) man wrote a book on that topic once, Ecclesiastes.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #22

Thanks for sharing the touching story, and your feelings, Jim. All human governments are corrupt. Of course, some are much more corrupt than others. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

People find happiness in several ways. God, money, keeping up with the Jones, etc.

Only one of those is permanent. Solomon, a wise (although foolish) man wrote a book on that topic once, Ecclesiastes.
Amen, Brother Bill!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #23

Thanks W&G. I don't share that story much. It's kind of a personal thing. The young man hadn't really had much chance to experienced life. If anything he was just out of high school. I often think what are the chances of such a meeting? Why did he pick me out of all the people in town he could've talked to, or his friends for that matter? I was probably one of the last few hometown people he had talked to before being shipped out. It has had a big impact on my life that much, I know for certain.

Reminds me of another story. We lived on one of the main traveled streets in town so, I saw alot of people. The train station was maybe 6 blocks away. Every day a 50ish woman would walk by our house twice a day, going and coming. I mean sunday through saturday! She didn't miss a day until one day when, I was about ten. Curious, I finally asked my mom who she was and why every day and why did she stop walking by? Apparently the woman's husband was MIA during WWII. Unable to accept the fact he wasn't coming home, she would walk down to the train station and wait for him all day, every day for the previous 23-24yrs. She had passed away was why she stopped coming by. Lonelyness had driven her to alcohol and the drinking finally caught up with her. I guess that one taught me that not all casualties of war are on the battlefield.

Doc, all of my ancestors except the native american side were ministers. They came from England in 1610 to settle here and remained preachers and farmers thru history. One side of my family was forced to leave Scottland or suffer the conciquences of being Protestant in a Catholic country. Alot of thier beliefs of the bible have been passed down and, I fully agree with everything you're saying. However, I think over the centuries people have strayed so far away from the bible's true meanings to accomedate themselves. But, looking at it from a different angle history proves even then people were unable to run thier lives or countries without torturing some one. I wish, I had an answer but, I don't. All, I can be certain of is, I've lived my life to be fair and respectful of people even tho most of the time, I usually come up on the short end but, I don't mind really and don't even get mad nore judgemental. Just smile and go on. I have a good wife, good kids and some extra toys. How much more does a man need? I have more than most so, I'm lucky and happy in the sense that, I've been able to live my life in a decent and honest manner. The One Judge that really matters will have the final say. Ok now, I'm probably ranting.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #24

I have so much to say on your last post I can't put it into words so I will summarize it like this:

'Proud to know you, Jim.'

Old 03-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #25

Like wise, doc! Hopefully we can meet in person sometime. I'd like to shake your hand The same goes to many of the board members here.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #26

Some threads on this forum really inspire me. This is one of them.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #27

Thank you, Grind!! Makes me feel good to know that.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
All, I can be certain of is, I've lived my life to be fair and respectful of people even tho most of the time, I usually come up on the short end but, I don't mind really and don't even get mad nore judgemental. Just smile and go on. I have a good wife, good kids and some extra toys. How much more does a man need?
Amen. But how often we forget that and long for more... I was raised a Mennonite, but not in the traditional sense that most people think. My father is actually a pastor, but you really wouldn't know it. He surfs, rides dirt bikes, taught me all about mechanics, but most of all my parents taught me how to respect life and other people, and the rest sort of falls into place.

Funny how a message board on Chinese motorcycles draws so many like-minded people... :wink:

Old 03-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmcd
Funny how a message board on Chinese motorcycles draws so many like-minded people... :wink:
I've been thinking about that. My guess is that none of us here "worship" our machines, nor do we take them too seriously. As you say, the rest sort of falls into place.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #30

Amen DM.

You can also add the things we see and people we meet that have had major impact on our lives to how we were raised. I think all those things run hand in hand in how we are as adults.