Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Dealer & Distributor Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #1

How should I handle my dealer?

Hey all. I wanted to get some thoughts about how to handle my dealer and their complete lack of post sale service. I don't want to thrash them on here, although I am getting close to that point, as well as contacting my credit card company.

Complete story. A few weeks prior to Christmas I ordered three TaoTao 125D's for my kids Christmas morning. The quads shipped on time and were delivered by the freight company promptly and in good physical condition. Monday night before Christmas I assembled all 3, gassed them up and made sure they ran prior to going to bed. Tuesday the 22nd I did a more thorough inspection. Two of the 3 ran OK. The third would not idle well at all and usually stalled quite a bit. It also has an issue where the F-N-R transmission sometimes won't shift into neutral properly taking 2/3 attempts before it properly is out of gear.

At this point, I called the dealer who didn't answer so I left a message though their automated voicemail. Never received a call back.

Later that afternoon the wife and I had the quads out for a shake-down ride, and you can read my thread about one of the other quads failure , and my diagnosis finding that the piston hit the intake valve.

So I now have 2 flaky quads 3 days before Christmas. On the 23rd I called again. Again, no answer, left a message, and again no call back. I also filled out the online technical support inquiry on the dealers website. Nothing came of that inquiry either.

So I'm in the mode of self diagnosis and repair at this point hoping I can get these things fixed before Santa comes. After swapping lots of parts I finally find the top end engine failure late night on the 23rd.

This is also the point that I realize that my TaoTao 125cc ATV's actually have 110cc engines as designated by engine codes (all three are TZ152FMH )

I did not call the dealer on the 24th, figured they'd be closed anyhow. I was lucky enough to find a 110cc complete head assembly on amazon for $47 that was guaranteed same day delivery. I promptly ordered it knowing it was a long shot really getting it being Christmas Eve and all.

Luckily it did show up, and I was able to rebuild the motor before Santa arrived. I was also able to get the one quad with flaky carb and flaky transmission working well enough that it's ridable.

So today I call the dealer again and again there is no answer and again no call back. At this point they know I have 2 jacked up quads though I didn't say in my message that I fixed them for the most part already. I also have not mentioned on voicemail about the engine displacement discrepancy. What they do know is that I bought almost $3000.00 worth of product and that two of them suck.

How do I handle this at this point? At first I gave them the benefit, understanding that they are probably buried because of the holiday, but it's been a week now and I never received as much as a email saying we got your message and someone will contact you. Remember I've called them 3 times and filled out an online support form. The more time that goes by, the more I am getting angry, most angry because of the engine displacement lie. I also have the unresolved F-N-R problem, but the quad is still drivable, it hasn't been a big issue really.

I don't want to name them on the forum yet, because I know stuff happens and I'd like to give them an opportunity to do right without going the internet smear campaign route. I'm also debating calling the credit card company which will force some traction... also might make the dealer really mad and less likely to do anything. I think I have some leg to stand on though as the engine is wrong... no denying that.

What would you do?

Old 12-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #2

You are unhappy with what you bought ,they haven’t had the decency to even return a message ,let alone have they helped you in any way shape or form ,to me it’s very simple ,get on the credit card company to initiate a refund and a return ,and purchase elsewhere from a reputable dealer .

Old 12-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

The engine displacement isn't so much a lie... that's typical Chinese branding.

The Hawk 250 is branded and sold as such, it's really 229cc. This is common. Somewhere there is a published and printed spec sheet stating as such. So on that point, I think you have nothing.

On all else, oh hellz yes. Basically two defective items within a few days of delivery. Now... probably the best you're going to get is maybe a new carb for the flaky one, and partial reimbursement for what you spent to rebuild the other one. Any warranty on that one's engine is now null and void since you opened it up (but seems you kinda had to...).

If you got that much, I'd say you did alright. But first, the seller really needs to communicate back with you.

No shame in mentioning the seller by name btw, we do it all the time here when a seller/dealer mucks up this badly. Others need to know about it.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #4

I will blow them up on here if this continues. Just want to give them a valid chance to make it right. FWIW, on the product web page, the engine displacement is listed as 125cc specifically.

Old 12-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatawnt2b View Post
I will blow them up on here if this continues. Just want to give them a valid chance to make it right. FWIW, on the product web page, the engine displacement is listed as 125cc specifically.
Whoever they are, my guess is that they have been blown up on here in the past as well

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 12-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #6

Sorry you had a bad experience with your purchase. You managed to mostly save the Christmas experience which is huge, and way to go!

Not sure you'll get anywhere with the displacement claims. Somehow manufacturers are getting away with stating the displacement of the "class" of vehicle being sold in a lot of different makes & models. My guess is tariffs and racing size limits.

The poor customer service was a no no however. Christmas on a Friday is huge temptation for some businesses to shut down for sometimes over a week due to how the holidays fall in. If that's the case you may find Monday the 4th will be the day of reopening if nobody is answering today. A small guess but might be possible, even though the dealer has no excuse for it.

Yes you have some sort of buyer protection with different rules regarding debit/credit cards but in addition it would be best to write a good old fashioned certified snail mail letter as well (If you don't get the problem worked out soon).

I think the sign on the inside of the 'ol warehouse door was turned to "Closed", and will not turn back to "Open" until the prescribed time.