Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2021, 11:35 AM   #1

TaoTao 125 strange no start issue

Good day. My kids have a TaoTao125 that we have been enjoying for a couple years. Things are generally pretty good. But we recently started having an issue I cannot track down. I have watched a ton of videos and searched all over, but our symptoms are different than anything I can find online. Hoping maybe someone has seen this or has an idea how to fix.

So it started out that it would start just as normal and then run for 5 to 10 minutes and turn off. I thought it might be the battery, as it required me to charge it every time it turned off. So I bought a new battery and installed it.

It fired right up. Ran for ten minutes and then the engine stopped, but the starter just started cranking and cranking, but it wouldn't start the engine. Turned the key off and it stopped cranking. Now this is where it gets strange.

I locked the brake on like normal, made sure the remote safety lock was set to let the engine start and gear was in neutral. AS SOON AS TURNING THE KEY, it started cranking. It shouldn't do this. I put the kill switch in the OFF (not running) position and it still cranks.

The only way to stop it from cranking is to turn the key off. I have created a video and uploaded to Youtube (sorry for camera angle, new to youtube uploads). Maybe it will give a better idea what I am facing.

I feel like this is more an electrical issue than a mechanical one. Probably one of the safety systems (remote lock, tethered kill switch etc) and maybe there is a way to simply bypass them. At any rate, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDragon View Post
Good day. My kids have a TaoTao125 that we have been enjoying for a couple years. Things are generally pretty good. But we recently started having an issue...
I don't have experience with the ATV's but similar to the bikes - I believe.. Have you checked out the starter relay / solenoid?

That kind of sounds like the solenoid is being grounded out to the frame or something nearby. Or it could be stuck. Give it a nice peripheral smack with a small hammer when it's cranking; might loosen it up, but would be the issue for sure if a tap makes it stop crankin'.

Starter switch maaaay be sticky? I've had to un-stick one of mine before. Did the same thing - persistent starting. Quick shot of WD40 took care of the sticking.

Sorry man! I know how frustrating this stuff can be!! But, hopefully it's just something small.

Old 06-25-2021, 10:24 PM   #3

Hey man!

Have any updates on your TaoTao??

Old 06-27-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

No luck yet.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #5

Kind of odd that it cranks regardless of brake and safetys being on... Almost sounds like an issue with the computer or possibly the alarm. I'm sure you checked this already, but did you try disconnecting the battery for a minute or so then hooking it back up and giving it another shot? I had a car once that used to go kind of goofy occasionally and disconnecting/reconnecting the battery would straighten it out.
Barring that, maybe a fried solenoid that's on all the time when it has power?
Hoping you get it sorted

Old 06-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfDragon View Post
No luck yet.
No worries man - just checking up! I'm almost certain it's your solenoid bein' weird. I did get a chance to see about how much they cost; 'bout 6 bucks on Amazon! Hopefully it's just stuck and you can get it back slingin' mud!

Old 07-19-2021, 02:25 PM   #7

Fixed it. Bottom line, the remote control kill switch box was what caused this all. Once I found it, I unplugged it and the thing runs like a champ now.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:37 PM   #8

Noice!! Glad to hear man; sling that mud!!