Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #1

Wheels Up!

Just sent Mrs. 2LZ and her dad off to Alaska early this morning! (vacation for me!? 8) ) Unlike myself, they both have that gene that's preprogrammed for adventure and they have this internal Wanderlust that always has them looking to the next horizon.

Her and her dad like to go and volunteer to work the Iditarod, the Skwentna checkpoint, to be exact. Only accessable by skid/pontoon plane or river all year. Myself? I like the minor pleasures in life....like electricity and running water. 8O

This is a very special trip for the both of them, this time. Her dad is now 75+ and this will most likely be his last trip to work it. Plus, the fine folks who have opened their home to host the checkpoint for the last 30 years are calling this their last. Joe and Norma just doesn't have it in them anymore. It's quite an undertaking, to be sure.

Anyway, as news and pics come in, I'll keep you posted for all who may be interested. This is the first year for reliable cell service there, so hopefully it won't be pure 'blackout' like in the past.
Used to be I'd wave as the plane left.....and hopefully hear from them in 2 weeks. A little contact will be nice. Helps with the sleep knowing my lovely wife hasn't become a steaming pile of bear scat! 8O

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350