Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2019, 10:36 AM   #1

The (in)famous starter overriding clutch issue that seems to plague the bikes sold in South America. CSC/USA ones didn't reported as high an incidence of this as ours. If the part the mechanic replaced was only the collar with the pieces held by a spring, and he did NOT replaced or at least polished the holding gear/bush, it's not rare that it failed again fairly soon. No diagnostic can be made from the outside without opening again the right crankcase cover. But is the symptoms you describe are those... whirring noise when pushing the starter button but the engine not turning over, then there's almost no doubt that it's the same problem than before. Low battery symptom is different; clicking or rapid tapping noise from under the seat, where the starter solenoid is located.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

I don't really have much of a choice but to start ripping it apart... but, I did check the battery again, and now it's sitting just under 11. Could it really drain that quickly? Testing the battery while pushing the starter button, it's at about 5-6.

Also, just tried starting it again and the bike was really close to turning over, but made a clicking sound then shut off. Should I just go ahead and get a new battery?

I guess I'm the idiot for buying a bike and not thoroughly researching it beforehand, and just finding out now this is an infamous issue. Juanro, you described what happened exactly, the spring collar was replaced, but the holding gear/bush was not. So does this mean the entire starter assembly needs to be replaced to fix this problem? Would I really be able to do anything if I take off the right crankcase cover, without more replacement pieces? Or would it be helpful to still inspect/clean the parts?

How can I check the starter solenoid?

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #3

Just checked this (starter relay?) and it's at 10.6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191217_134645.jpg (91.3 KB, 356 views)