Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2020, 08:03 PM   #286

Of course the forum software kinda sucks and it turned my photo upside down. But you get the idea.

Charles.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:45 PM   #287

So in 10k miles, I have relatively little to report. Reliability-wise, the bike has had 3 turn signals, one shifter linkage, and a fork seal replaced under warranty. I've geared it way down and put bigger, heavier wheels and tires on it. It's geared for 80mph at 8900rpm (100rpm before the rev limiter) .Additional upgrades include a free-flowing exhaust, airbox removal, K&N filter, 520 chain and sprockets, and a Barnett kevlar clutch kit with springs (so I can pop the front wheel up)

I ride it between 7000 and 8000rpm for long distances, I shift at 8500 rpm, every stop sign is treated like a drag race. The bike will do 1st gear wheelies, but I'm a little gun-shy on getting it up near the balance point. The most I do is pop the front wheel up a few inches. With a rider who doesn't weigh 260 pounds, it will probably do second gear wheelies. It really tries with me on it, but I'm just too heavy.

This is to say, I ride the HELL out of this bike. I broke it in hard and have kept riding it hard. It kept building power until about 4000 miles and then leveled off. I'm extremely happy with this bike, especially after all the mods. It's not been Japanese reliable, but it's been pretty close. It always starts, always runs, always gets me to where I'm going.

In all those miles there has been a slight hint of cam chain rattle that got louder and louder and then suddenly one day quiet again -- slack taken up by the auto tensioner no doubt. It was never particularly loud or noticeable, but having owned a lot of high mileage Honda V4s, I know the sound well. I have run the bike on 87 octane usually, and ethanol free 89 or 90 when it's late fall and I don't know how long it's going to sit up before being ridden again.

In short, I'm using the hell out of this bike, riding it balls to the walls, and treating it like a Honda or Yamaha. And it's been wonderful!

Parts availability has been one week or less to the dealership, except for a couple of months when turn signals weren't available. Everything I've needed, from o-rings and gaskets to luggage racks and seats to levers and spacers has been available. Only the turn signals had a back order in all that time.

Would I buy this bike again? Yes, in a heartbeat. If I could go back in time and change anything, I'd actually not buy my Yamaha, and buy this two years earlier instead.

Charles.

Old 05-12-2020, 01:13 AM   #288

I recently watched the video from Adam Waheed, the guy from Motorcyclist.com, who rode one along the coast in the Orange County area of So. California. He raved about it, and I even put a quote of his in my signature regarding the bike and how much fun he had at 'low' speeds. You are having a similar experience, but daily! I like the idea of them taking a EFI Lifan cruiser twin and putting it in a café racer; a formula that seems to work VERY well from a performance, aesthetic, and aural angle. I think my only 'complaint' is the front fender. Not sure what else they could have done there, but I think it looks awkward, but NOT something that would stop me from buying it. I think the only thing that would stop me from buying this bike is the recently released Lifan KPM200. Decisions, decisions...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-12-2020, 02:37 PM   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I recently watched the video from Adam Waheed, the guy from Motorcyclist.com, who rode one along the coast in the Orange County area of So. California. He raved about it, and I even put a quote of his in my signature regarding the bike and how much fun he had at 'low' speeds. You are having a similar experience, but daily! I like the idea of them taking a EFI Lifan cruiser twin and putting it in a café racer; a formula that seems to work VERY well from a performance, aesthetic, and aural angle. I think my only 'complaint' is the front fender. Not sure what else they could have done there, but I think it looks awkward, but NOT something that would stop me from buying it. I think the only thing that would stop me from buying this bike is the recently released Lifan KPM200. Decisions, decisions...

Holy cow...talk about planets aligning. I just started reading the forum again and have been drawn to the Buccaneer as well. For those who don't know, culcune was responsible for pointing me toward the TMEC200 many years ago. I didn't own it for very long and wound up on a Suzuki Boulevard C50 (which I wound up falling out of love with and longed for my TMEC200). I sold the Suzuki and have wanted a cafe racer style bike for a year or so now. Decisions indeed!

Old 05-12-2020, 08:09 PM   #290

Nice to 'see' you around here, again! I actually still have the carcass of my old TMEC. I repo'd it from a guy who was supposed to pay me $100 for it, and was riding it into the ground. For months, no cash. Someone here wanted my wheels, so I sold them (I had the 17/17 street wheels/tires). I am still trying to give my bike to someone from Chinariders, but I think I am the only Yuma member. It is probably NOT worth it for someone to drive several hours to pick it up. Who knows...I might take it up as a project?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-13-2020, 09:07 AM   #291

Well that sucks. Something about the simplicity of these bikes keep pulling me in. I've wanted a Triumph Bonnie for years now but can't seem to find one worth buying. That is what prompted me to look at chinariders. Pleasantly surprised to see the cafe style being represented now. Been looking at the CSC SG250, SSR Buccaneer, and for a little more cash...the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. Not sure what to do now....I was also on board originally for the Brozz but I really like the cafe / traditional motorcycle look.

Old 05-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #292

Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
Pleasantly surprised to see the cafe style being represented now. Been looking at the CSC SG250, SSR Buccaneer, and for a little more cash...the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. Not sure what to do now....I was also on board originally for the Brozz but I really like the cafe / traditional motorcycle look.
If you like the more subtle look, the Lifan KPM200 should be added to your list as well. There is a video from the Dorito and the Luchacabre channel showing it topping out on one of the greater L.A. metropolitan area's freeways at an indicated 79 mph, but no GPS. One of our members here, Ceasar, who has the Small Engine Velocity channel on YouTube, has three Lifans including the KPMini 150, the KPR200 (same engine as the KPM200, but his is the sport bike with fairings) and the Lifan Lycan cruiser (the Buccaneer uses the Lycan's V-twin engine). In all his videos, he has shown a discrepancy of 5 mph between his 3 different Lifan bikes' speedos and GPS, so it would seem the KPM is capable of 74, or 75 mph. Plus, the KPM200 in the Dorito... channel is new, so not fully broken in, so it might have a bit more pull? The Lycan has been seen on Small Engine channel hitting 75 or so (GPS), and in one video cruising at around 70, so my guess is the Buccaneer's natural seating position allows one to get a few extra mph over the cruiser. I really like the Buccaneer's styling, and the idea of its V-twin, so it is difficult to decide which one to pursue. Then again, I am not dead-set on a café bike, and still contemplating the Lifan X-Pect 200 dual-sport!?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 05-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #293

If you put a fairing on the Buccaneer, even a small cafe fairing, it will go much faster. Wind pressure is what keeps it from higher speeds. If I get behind a large SUV or a truck, I can do 80+ mph on my GPS. (Well, before the last gearing change). With lower bars and a large fairing you could probably do a lot better than me, especially with a 15T front sprocket and stock wheels and tires. Even more so if you weigh closer to 150 than to 250

Charles.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:25 PM   #294

Oh I know (not much to do right now but read...read...read). I read all of ChopperCharles' thread on the Buccaneer and it's really got my interest. I need to contact the SSR dealer in South Hampton and see if he has or can get one and what he charges. Like I said, the SG250 looked like a great option as well. But it is a little smaller and I've gained quite a few lbs in the last few years. Going under a 250cc (or 230cc) is not something that I am looking for although the TMEC did well for a 200cc.

Old 05-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #295

Ugh...the more I look at the KPM200 the more I like it. I just wish the Blue one came with spoked wheels and not the mags. Very nice bike indeed! Now I am really torn!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:31 PM   #296

I actually really like the look of that KPM200, but 12kw is only 16hp. The Buccaneer has 18 and I wouldn't want to go any less than that for street use. 2hp makes a huge difference at these low performance levels.

Charles.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:49 PM   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
I actually really like the look of that KPM200, but 12kw is only 16hp. The Buccaneer has 18 and I wouldn't want to go any less than that for street use. 2hp makes a huge difference at these low performance levels.

Charles.

My old TMEC 200 only had 14.5hp and I never had an issue doing what I needed with it. I'm not traveling on the highway so 16hp should be more than sufficient for me.

Biggest issue now is actually finding a place that has it in stock and can ship it. I would consider the Buccaneer but can't seem to find a place that will ship one either. Unfortunately, that is a requirement at this point.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonCat View Post
My old TMEC 200 only had 14.5hp and I never had an issue doing what I needed with it. I'm not traveling on the highway so 16hp should be more than sufficient for me.

Biggest issue now is actually finding a place that has it in stock and can ship it. I would consider the Buccaneer but can't seem to find a place that will ship one either. Unfortunately, that is a requirement at this point.
Call Pete at Kronik Racing in Simi Valley, Cal. He is the Vader guru (sells those mostly to L.A. locals), and likes to keep his image as a 'mini' dealer and pitbike dealer. But, he used to sell SSR full size bikes, and might still have the connection to them (SSR is 'local' to him). He shows the Lifan KPMini on their site currently, but has assured me he can get any Lifan (he is 'local' to them as well). www.kronikracing.com

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 06-21-2020, 06:35 PM   #299

So yeah... anyone remember me talking about how the passenger section is unsupported? Well 10,300 miles and metal fatigue happened. The passenger seat loop has no bracing on the 2017, and the constant vibration and extra weight of the rack and small bag (max load one 6-pack, in accordance with the 9 pound limit) was too much stress over too much time. I’m just glad I never let my girlfriend ride on the back.

This is downright dangerous. I’m 4 months out of warranty... I’m hoping SSR will spot me a new 2018-up style frame.

Charles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 45F155DF-3A45-4D59-95A3-2F002D1FA167.jpg (20.0 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg B41F417F-ED4B-4CD7-9C15-9AC5E5603F68.jpg (20.6 KB, 334 views)

Old 07-04-2020, 10:14 PM   #300

SSR is going to replace the frame! And they’re taking a 2017 frame, welding the supports onto it, then powder coating it for me. Because it’s going to take less time to do that than to wait for a container to fill and have a frame shipped from China.

Charles.