Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2024, 09:29 PM   #1531

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Try a shifter for a Honda XR400 that might work.
The OEM shifter is short, tight in against the motor, and has the folding tip. It resists grasses getting threaded in there pretty well, and the short shifter is sweet (quick short throw shifts). I'd just contact PSM. My guess is $20 or less. You might be able to spend less elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2024, 10:18 AM   #1532

I don't know anyone with an XR400 I could borrow off and new ones run like $25 so I guess seeing about a stock replacement would be the next move.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:40 AM   #1533

Any templar improvements that any of you think would also benefit a Xpro Titan 250?

Old 01-30-2024, 04:40 PM   #1534

For posterity's sake: My speedo was way off. Please disregard any of the numbers I posted. I finally got a chance to check it against a gps this morning. @ 25 mph indicated, I was actually traveling 35 mph. 40mph indicated = 55 actual mph. With that in mind my indicated top speed of 50-ish probably results in a true land speed of 65+ with the stock 13/49 gearing. I am guessing the gauge must be calibrated to a different wheel size.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:24 PM   #1535

Hey there,

I finally settled down, bought a truck, and am ready to get a bike now! I used to go dirt biking every weekend with my dad, but when I moved out a few years ago he decided to sell my bike from under me. Been dreaming of being on a dirtbike since then. I love wrenching on stuff, and it seems if care is taken on assembly, the Templar X is pretty good.

I am 5'7" and 200 lbs which seems to be pretty close to what the suspension on the TX can handle max. I am working to get down to 160-170 which the bike's stock suspension would hopefully handle pretty decent.

From what I've read so far there are mixed results on getting a FL title for this bike. It would not be the end of the world if I can't get it street-legal. Most of its life will be on trails and OHV areas anyway, but it would be really neat if I could get it legalized for the road. I heard the MCO comes with "offroad only" but some seem to have success with contacting the seller to get an amended "motorcycle" MCO. I plan on sending an email in after I place my order to request the motorcycle MCO.

I'm planning on ordering from PowerSportsMax as this seems the best deal for me. Mixed reviews on their customer service. Seems half have great experience and the other half can't even get a response from them.

TLDR;

Anyone here who was able to get a "motorcycle" MCO and register the Templar X for onroad in Florida? Should I buy from PowerSportsMax, would ordering directly from XPRO USA be better, or maybe even Amazon?

Thanks,

Vek.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:26 AM   #1536

I bought two Templar X from PSM. Both came with "motorcycle" as vehicle type.
Geico insured both. Just call them and read them the VIN. About $35 for liability only.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:47 PM   #1537

Yo! I finally bit the bullet and ordered the Templar X from X-Pro. I couldn't pass up $2171 with free shipping. I want to be prepared for when it arrives. What sorts of things should I have on hand to make assembly easier? I'm looking for lists like, blue loc-tite, zip ties, certain types of oil, etc. Thank you in advance for any help. I came across this forum and am very impressed with the breadth of knowledge and advice.

Old 02-02-2024, 12:49 PM   #1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greathouse View Post
Did some searching and came across this. Thoughts? It sure looks like it could be a bolt on cat delete header...

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/22518...mebLJrmC482Zt0
Let us know that looks very tempting if it fits. Thanks for the find.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:37 AM   #1539

Hi,

I'm stuck deciding against the Templar M and X.

Does Anyone know the actual weight specs of both bikes? The official XPRO USA and PowerSportsMax both list the same spec sheet on the X and M (258 lbs net weight). That does not seem right that they would be the same weight since the M loses 1 gear and the engine counterbalancer. My guess is the M would be maybe 5-10 Lbs lighter than the X in reality.

Here in FL most of all the trails are whoops in sugar sand, so lighter bikes (usually the 2-stroke motocross) tend to do better at not sinking into that sand. I doubt a 5-10 lb difference in weight would make a difference, but maybe 20 lb+ would.

The weight is the deciding factor, as well as the M being a couple hundred cheaper, enough to buy all the riding gear and come out the same as buying the X alone. I think in the end I will choose the X. I don't plan on riding the road too often ( too many idiot drivers in FL) but having the option to is great. Being able to go from home to trail without taking the truck sounds neat as well.

Thanks,

Vek.

Old 02-04-2024, 12:47 PM   #1540

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
Here in FL most of all the trails are whoops in sugar sand, so lighter bikes (usually the 2-stroke motocross) tend to do better at not sinking into that sand. I doubt a 5-10 lb difference in weight would make a difference, but maybe 20 lb+ would.

The weight is the deciding factor, ...
I suspect that paddle tires would matter more than +/- 20 pounds? ... and, I doubt that many ride paddle tires on paved roads?

Where only a net weight spec is offered, I estimate wet weight as follows:
258 pounds net + (6.1 pounds/gallon * 2.3 gallons) + ~3 pounds fluids etc. ~= 275 pounds wet

Riding 'on the beach' is really tough going ... on two wheels; I don't see many Y.T. videos with bikes riding on the beach! In Florida heat + humidity, I imagine that riding in beach-like conditions would REALLY wring one out? Fun? ... maybe not?

Old 02-04-2024, 09:58 PM   #1541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discoveror View Post
I suspect that paddle tires would matter more than +/- 20 pounds? ... and, I doubt that many ride paddle tires on paved roads?

Where only a net weight spec is offered, I estimate wet weight as follows:
258 pounds net + (6.1 pounds/gallon * 2.3 gallons) + ~3 pounds fluids etc. ~= 275 pounds wet

Riding 'on the beach' is really tough going ... on two wheels; I don't see many Y.T. videos with bikes riding on the beach! In Florida heat + humidity, I imagine that riding in beach-like conditions would REALLY wring one out? Fun? ... maybe not?

The sand sucks, so does the heat and humidity. Florida really sucks as a whole. You get used to riding the sand after a while but it's always boring and tiring. We would veer off the sandy main paths into the forest as soon as we could, but it's impossible to avoid the sand. The forest also has shade against the sun in the summer, which helps just a bit.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:05 PM   #1542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
The sand sucks, so does the heat and humidity. Florida really sucks as a whole.
Best of luck with your choice; it sounds like you have a BIG choice to make.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:36 PM   #1543

For me I decided on the X over the M mostly for the adjustable suspension and counter-balancer. I'll use mine probably 85% on dirt so the 6th gear wasn't as big of a deal for me. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2024, 02:38 PM   #1544

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weresquatch View Post
For me I decided on the X over the M mostly for the adjustable suspension and counter-balancer. I'll use mine probably 85% on dirt so the 6th gear wasn't as big of a deal for me. Good luck!
The nice thing about the 6 speed is that if you leave it with stock sprockets, at least you have a 6th gear. So you still get a low first gear. Or bump the gearing a little to make top gear faster on the highway, but still have a reasonable first gear for off road.

Old 02-06-2024, 03:25 PM   #1545

My X is literally on the road somewhere between me and Texas but I have the southern start to the WA BDR about 20 minutes from my house. I can see myself riding country roads to get to dirt but this thing will likely be a trail bike/light off-road tourer. I *so* appreciate the wealth of information people have dropped on these pages though. It's really great.