Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Started working on the Jialing 200cc

Well, today I finally started working on the Jialing that I was told (by the seller) had probably thrown a push rod.

I went to remove the cover but it wouldn't clear the frame so I peeked into it with a flashlight.

The Good News: Both push rods were fine.

The Bad News: I then pulled the spark plug and lightly pushed the kick starter; no spark and no compression. Then about the 3rd time I pushed down on the kick start lever it all locked up.

I don't want to do anything to further the damage so I am going to remove the engine so I can properly work on it. If it's too bad, I'll pull the engine from my "parts bike" which is also a 163FML.

I'll probably be asking some questions soon!

Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #2

sounds like fun ... i would do a few more tests before taking it out ... like putting it on a stand and trying to turn the wheel backward in high gear see if it will move ... get a small wooden rod and put it in the spark plug hole and see if the piston moves ... with no spark it could be as easy as the stater coils came loose, but it sounds like it could be bad ... we also require pics, hehe

Old 01-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

BARLOW - It didn't appear that the piston was moving up and down. There was absolutely no compression at all. Strangely, the engine rotated several times before it locked up. Something must have jammed up.

I started the process of pulling the engine: Disconnected the electrical, removed carb, removed exhaust, removed chain, skid plate; basically got everything out of the way to pull the engine. At this point I only have a couple more bolts remaining.

I'm curious as to what might have happen. Once I have it on the bench I'll start pulling the top end apart. I'll be sure to post pics!

As far as not having spark. I think the kill switch was left on. It's been a long time since I've worked on motorcycles

Old 01-08-2018, 01:53 PM   #4

Sounds to me like the valve timing is off and a valve is open during the compression stroke, that would explain the no compression. If said valve was open at the wrong time when the piston came up, it may have also jammed into the valve and locked the motor up. Just speculation, but that is one guess.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

Being a push rod motor I don't think it jumped timing. If it were a OHC I would say yes. Been there done that. Have had it happen when I had too much slack in the timing chain. It's like jamming on the breaks at WOT when it does jump. It's possible your connecting rod end cap is sitting in the base. The engine will turn free until the connecting rod hits the crank. Open her up. Parts are cheap for these bikes.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-08-2018, 02:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Being a push rod motor I don't think it jumped timing. If it were a OHC I would say yes. Been there done that. Have had it happen when I had too much slack in the timing chain. It's like jamming on the breaks at WOT when it does jump. It's possible your connecting rod end cap is sitting in the base. The engine will turn free until the connecting rod hits the crank. Open her up. Parts are cheap for these bikes.
My assumption is, somebody took this motor apart to some level trying to diagnose the previous issue and may have slapped the cam and rocker assembly back together incorrectly.

That said, your theory is also very possible. I am also speculating that the item that bent in the motor may have been the connecting rod.

In any case, the right path is to definitely pull the motor apart. That will definitely reveal all.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
My assumption is, somebody took this motor apart to some level trying to diagnose the previous issue and may have slapped the cam and rocker assembly back together incorrectly.

That said, your theory is also very possible. I am also speculating that the item that bent in the motor may have been the connecting rod.

In any case, the right path is to definitely pull the motor apart. That will definitely reveal all.
Ahhhh! I must of missed that post. Very possible. We need pictures, Lots of pictures. You'll have enough help here if you have any questions.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Ahhhh! I must of missed that post. Very possible. We need pictures, Lots of pictures. You'll have enough help here if you have any questions.
There wasn't a post that stated that directly. Just an assumption. Supposedly a mechanic looked at it and diagnosed a bent push rod. However, the more I think about it the more I doubt this possibility, because no bent pushrod was found. So either it was a lazy mechanic, or a blind one.

Old 01-08-2018, 06:04 PM   #9

Thanks guys - Unfortunately, I didn't finish getting the engine out today as today got away from me. I work late swing shifts but also help my wife (with her job) and special-needs grandson during the day. It might rain tomorrow, but if it's decent out I'll finish pulling it, get it on a bench and start pulling the top-end apart...and take pictures.

Just to recap: The seller said the motorcycle mechanic told him it probably threw a push rod, it had no compression, but the engine turned freely with no noise.

What I found: Upon lifting up the valve cover (couldn't remove it as it hit the frame) it appeared the push rods were in place and moving freely up and down when I pushed the kick starter by hand. I pulled the spark plug and there was absolutely no compression at all. Then after a few rotations - by hand - the engine locked up. It might possibly still be something in the valve area but I can't get the cover off without pulling the engine. This frame has a gusset and thick welds that make it impossible to remove the cover. Makes be wonder if the valves were ever adjusted as that would have been a challenge - but possible, I guess.

At this point it sounds like the mechanic simply ventured a guess rather than actually diagnosing this thing. Supposedly the seller was going to have this mechanic fix it but the mechanic was backed up with work and couldn't get to it.

I am hoping the problem(s) are found in the top-end. If so, I would be fine with purchasing whatever is needed if I can find the right parts. I don't know if the 163FML parts I see on Ebay are compatible with this Jialing engine (JL163FML) or not.

My other option is to see if the LC163FML off my Loncin parts bike is any good. The seller claims it ran great when he got it but has sat in a garage for over a year. Absolute worse case scenario would be to purchase a Lifan engine off E-Bay but I think the ad said they only offered a 14 day warranty. I sent the seller a question regarding the transmission cover and he said they did not come with one. I know the one on my Jialing is different and my Loncin bike doesn't have one.

I'm getting excited to explore this mystery, especially now that title and registration is complete.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #10

Just an update:

I was so excited to finish pulling the engine and start the diagnosis process when.... my whole family came down with the flu!

I'm now at the tail-end of it. Aches and pains, bad cough, exhaustion. Other than that I feel wonderful. Little David, our grandson, is about where my wife is in the process. I was not scheduled to work Monday (MLK Day) but already called out sick for tonight. That's the first time I've called out sick in around 20 years.

I just thought I'd drop by and explain that the "new guy" hasn't flaked out. I am very serious and excited to get this engine diagnosed so I can get this project underway.

In the meantime, I am staying motivated by reading other peoples threads and learning from them.

Stay healthy my friends. Getting sick really sucks!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyD View Post
Just an update:

I was so excited to finish pulling the engine and start the diagnosis process when.... my whole family came down with the flu!

I'm now at the tail-end of it. Aches and pains, bad cough, exhaustion. Other than that I feel wonderful. Little David, our grandson, is about where my wife is in the process. I was not scheduled to work Monday (MLK Day) but already called out sick for tonight. That's the first time I've called out sick in around 20 years.

I just thought I'd drop by and explain that the "new guy" hasn't flaked out. I am very serious and excited to get this engine diagnosed so I can get this project underway.

In the meantime, I am staying motivated by reading other peoples threads and learning from them.

Stay healthy my friends. Getting sick really sucks!
Hope you get well soon. Can't leave the bike hangin to long as it s sick too.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #12

Hey, it happens. I came down with a long term case of the overtimes, so I can't work on my stuff much either. At least I will have plenty of extra cash to throw around... I might have to pick up another bike.

Hope you feel better soon.

Tags
163fml, jialing 200cc, restoration project