Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #31

Here's the '79 XR185 rear sprocket according to jtsprockets.com:

Maybe you could compare these specs with yours.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #32

That looks like just what I used, and ordered it from the same place. 4 locating pins, held on by irritating circlip.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #33

Yo! To keep my thread alive :roll: here's some photos taken yesterday by KTM lovers from my local Yahoo Group. Nice place to ride (Mattawa aka Saddle Mountain).

http://karmasect.smugmug.com/Motorcy...4_Nx3TE#P-1-15

Old 10-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #34

Nice pictures. Very professional looking quality!

Glad to live here.

I could not take the timee this weekend, although I did get an hour or two in on Saturday after work on the local trails.

How did your bike do? That rocky climb looks like about the maximum of what I'd safely try.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc

How did your bike do? That rocky climb looks like about the maximum of what I'd safely try.
Ya, that guy is good - he's an amateur but I don't believe him. I rode my YZ at Walker Valley this weekend instead of going with those guys to Mattawa. :oops:

However, I did buy a new 27mm carb off of eBay since my gasket grew from the carb cleaner. I got it for $35. With a new sprocket and chain on the way and some new gas and spark plug - I'll be into this machine for less than $200. :P

Will be working on her this weekend! :wink:

Old 10-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #36

THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O

You overspent!

You could have made a gasket out of a used matchbook!

Just kidding, its a Chinabike thing.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O

You overspent!

You could have made a gasket out of a used matchbook!

Just kidding, its a Chinabike thing.
Ya, I know but I figured the needle valve was about shot now. It is a 2004 model. The gasket was round rubber rather than say a flat paper gasket used as a cylinder base gasket. Also the gasket that was on the float bowl drain screw was half rotten too. Hell, $200 is still a steal. :mrgreen:

Old 11-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #38

Anybody know the fuel capacity of the GY200 Lifan knock off? I'm considering fitting a XT225 tank instead. The Kazuma cap is ridiculous. It leaks at about 60* tilt. :evil:

Went and rode some trails today. It doesn't like to slip the clutch too much. Seems to be a large gap between first and second gear. Did some log crossings with ease though. Lots of ground clearance. :P

Old 11-01-2009, 10:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrubitup
...I'm considering fitting a XT225 tank instead. The Kazuma cap is ridiculous. It leaks at about 60* tilt. :evil: ...
I doubt the Yamaha XT225 tank will fit your Honda clone, Shrub. :( If you wish to experiment, try to get someone to loan you an XT225 fuel tank before you purchase one. However, you might be able to acquire a cheap, used XT225 fuel tank from eBay, et cetera. However, I think it is very likely you will have a greater chance of success if you experiment with Honda fuel tanks.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Anybody know the fuel capacity of the GY200 Lifan knock off? I'm considering fitting a XT225 tank instead. The Kazuma cap is ridiculous. It leaks at about 60* tilt. :evil:

Went and rode some trails today. It doesn't like to slip the clutch too much. Seems to be a large gap between first and second gear. Did some log crossings with ease though. Lots of ground clearance. :P
The clutch can be a little 'graunchy' but it never gave me any problems. I think I geared mine a little too high, especially in light of the large heavy Kenda tires I put on it.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:01 AM   #41

Quote:
Does this help with the gas tank, http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7519

Jonathan

Old 11-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by czowner
Quote:
Does this help with the gas tank, http://www.chinariders.net/modules.p...ewtopic&t=7519

Jonathan
Nice find!

I think I'll take the whole bike to Bent Bike (recyclers) and through a process of swapping tanks onto the bike I will find an alternative WITH a gas cap that seals!!!! If their price is too high - at least I find one that fits and then hit eBay - I'd hate to spend $100 on a tank for a $100 bike.... :wink:

Old 11-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #43

Try a tank from a late eighties xr200. I used a dr350 tank, but the fit was not good. Good enough to get me by though.

Allen

Old 02-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #44

Hey hey! Thread from the dead. Didn't end up ordering new chains on top of the already new chains I already ordered once. Took it to a mechanic who spliced them together. No idea what the final length was.

Regeared it to 15/46 and took it for a spin. I wasn't too impressed so I sold it for $500. The biggest issue for me was the flash light head light. The guy who bought it sold it a week later for $580 to cover licensing no doubt.

Found a 1995 Yamaha XT225 with 3,500 miles on it for $550. It had a clogged up carb and rusty gas inside the tank. Cleaned that out and adjusted the fuel screw and it runs great. SOOOOO, if anyone still wants to ride Mattawa say in March I'm game but I'll be on my Serow instead.

Don't take this as a slam on China bikes. I'd prolly go after a Zongshen but this Yamaha was just being given away. How could I refuse? :wink:

Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #45

I'm a definate at Mattawa .

Good move on the Yamaha. Nice price too. I just bought a Kawasaki ATV, and I'm really liking it!