Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Tool and Fuel Tubes - New Farkles

After seeing another member post their tractor manual tubes and seeing how cheap they were at agri supply I ordered a couple of them for my bike. I also purchased a 30oz MSR Fuel bottle. My RX3 is setup with the Tourfella luggage so the mouting points are different than stock. The other member did an awesome job fabricating a bracket and I don't have the tools to do that so I did things a bit different. I purchased 8 x 5/8" Wire Ties. I also purchased a bunch of M6 stainless steel nuts, bolts, flat washers and lock washers and used those items to mount a tube on both sides of the bike. On the left side I have the MSR fuel bottle and on the right I have my tool kit. I'll have to test it out to make sure the exhaust isn't too warm but there is decent clearance and I may put some heat tape on part of the tube. All that is left is to get some reflective tape to cover the working and pictures on the side and cap.

Here are the pictures of the install: http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

You'll notice that the positioning of the bolt mounts are reversed on the right side from the left and that was due to positioning of the luggage latches. I was too lazy to swap the other side to match as I don't think anyone will notice!

Take care and happy farkling!

Old 11-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

We did have to add heat tape to mine, but mine are mounted on the ends of the luggage boxes. Btw, acetone (fingernail polish remover) will remove the yellow from the tubes.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #3

Fjmartin. Very, very nice job. May find you want both as fuel. You have lots of room. Your ready for cross country
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #4

Oh, that is cool that I can remove the labeling with Acetone! I'll do that tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the compliments!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
After seeing another member post their tractor manual tubes and seeing how cheap they were at agri supply I ordered a couple of them for my bike. I also purchased a 30oz MSR Fuel bottle. My RX3 is setup with the Tourfella luggage so the mouting points are different than stock. The other member did an awesome job fabricating a bracket and I don't have the tools to do that so I did things a bit different. I purchased 8 x 5/8" Wire Ties. I also purchased a bunch of M6 stainless steel nuts, bolts, flat washers and lock washers and used those items to mount a tube on both sides of the bike. On the left side I have the MSR fuel bottle and on the right I have my tool kit. I'll have to test it out to make sure the exhaust isn't too warm but there is decent clearance and I may put some heat tape on part of the tube. All that is left is to get some reflective tape to cover the working and pictures on the side and cap.

Here are the pictures of the install: http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/jo...?sort=2&page=1

You'll notice that the positioning of the bolt mounts are reversed on the right side from the left and that was due to positioning of the luggage latches. I was too lazy to swap the other side to match as I don't think anyone will notice!

Take care and happy farkling!

Digging up this thread from last year. I was searching for info on Tool Tubes and really like the way you did this.

I do have a question though, is it worth carrying that MSR fuel bottle? How much range does that 1 liter give an RX3?

Thanks

Old 12-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #6

A couple things I’ll add from that old thread. 1-I rarely use the fuel bottle as when I’m on long trips I carry a siphon hose and a 12 liter fuel bladder. 2-with all my rough off-road rid My I kept breakfast my off those took tubes. The build in mount points were weak. No issue if doing road rides but not good in the rough. So instead I replaced those tubes with ones I made from black ABS pipe and end caps. Connected to the Bike with large hose clamps on the tourfella luggage racks. They’ve held up really well and we’re cheap to build plus some made them longer so they hold more stuff including my tire irons. You can see them in a pic from the Winter Escape thread. Let me know if you have questions!

Old 12-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #7

Thanks for the update!

Old 12-25-2017, 11:59 AM   #8

Tractor tubes pretty much require more than just bolts through the mounts. They are intended to hold paperwork, not tools. I use stainless hose clamps. They last a long time if used with mounts that properly support them and the tools are wrapped in rags to prevent bouncing and bashing. PVC will fail from poor mounts and things bouncing around inside, just like the thinner wall tractor tubes, it just takes longer.

Anywho, the tractor tubes come in 3 sizes and I've found the larger ones (about 4 inches/110mm ) more useful for carrying anything bigger than a liter fuel bottle, like spare tubes, tire tools, axle wrenches, electric compressor, pressure gauge, rags, ... . Everything necessary for tire repair fits in 1 tube. Very accessible and convenient compared to digging through different boxes for different necessities on the trail.

The 1 liter fuel bottles will provide 15-20 miles (24-32 kilometers) of range each.

I've found 1 gallon Coleman fuel cans hold a more useful amount for my purposes, don't leak, and pack easily inside the luggage. It is a lot cheaper to buy a gallon of Coleman fuel ($12, really just finely filtered unleaded gasoline with no alcohol) and dump it in the car to get a can or two than to pay $60 for fuel bottles to hold about the same amount, but take up more space. A Coleman can of fuel provides 60-80 miles/95-130km range.

Coleman cans ride quite well atop the Tourfella luggage with multiple bungies using the hooks thoughtfully provided. Run a couple bungies through the handle to prevent movement. A full tank is pretty dense and needs fairly substantial hold downs, so use enough tight bungies to prevent bouncing around. Put some self-stick rubber that goes on the bottom of house lamps along the top and bottom of the cans to prevent scratching the luggage.

Coleman also sells a filtering funnel and a filtering spout that screws on the can for easy pouring and protection from mechanical contaminants in the fuel tank. The spout has a spring loaded valve that does not allow flow until it is in the tank and you push down on the can. Choose whichever you prefer for about $8 each. Either creates an inexpensive, safe, and simple to use system.

I do not leave the spout on a can because it doesn't fit inside the luggage that way. I have a few heavy ziploc bags to hold the air-dried spout (fuel first, take care of personal needs, spout will be dry) that goes in the toolbox between the left side box and swing arm. The ziploc keeps the spout and filter clean.

Old 12-27-2017, 01:53 AM   #9

There is a few brands of this stuff out there now not just the trufuel brand. Should last about 3 years in the can
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Tags
agri, farkles, msr, tube