Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2024, 02:26 PM   #1

ATV just 'clicks' when I turn the key - is it this loose wire?

When I turn the key on my atv, all it does is make one quiet click sound. I had to look at the CDI box to see if it was a problem, and I noticed that one of the wires coming out of it was disconnected (pictured). The other wire is connected to something that looks like a heat sink. What is that other wire supposed to be attached to? And could this be all the starter motor isn't turning?

Last edited by gio2008rider; 01-18-2024 at 03:29 PM.

Old 01-18-2024, 12:54 PM   #2

Probably it is the starter making a single click and not turning over.

1. Are you sure your batter has an acceptable charge level?

2. Try tapping on your starter with a metal tool as you are pushing the start button. It might get it to turn over. Light taps, don't beat on it.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:30 PM   #3

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bando View Post
Probably it is the starter making a single click and not turning over.

1. Are you sure your batter has an acceptable charge level?

2. Try tapping on your starter with a metal tool as you are pushing the start button. It might get it to turn over. Light taps, don't beat on it.

Okay, I'll try that. Also the pictures I posted didn't upload, but I did them again - so now you can see the wire I am talking about.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:51 PM   #4

I updated the pictures

I updated the pictures.

Old 01-18-2024, 03:55 PM   #5

Beating on electrics generally does not help. They do not understand what they have done wrong and therefore are difficult to train.

That round thing with a positive and negative terminal you show in the photo is your solenoid. It connects and disconnects battery to starter. Take a heavy lead and jump from + to - on that solenoid and see if your starter turns over.

If it does your solenoid, the starter switch, the Bendix in the starter or the wiring is at fault.

If it still clicks and does nothing your battery is low and needs a full charge or replacement.

9 of 10 times it is the battery or corroded connections at the battery. These machines have a low tolerance for low battery power and the difference between working and not working is only a fraction of a volt.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:16 PM   #6

Your wiring looks monkey rigged. The solenoid needs big wire from the battery in one side positive, big wire out to starter positive other side. Small yellow and red hanging there I believe is hot from key or push button, the small green and red is for ground. The two smaller wires are supposed to connect to the solenoid to energize it for start. The big black wire that’s connected on the right-side in the picture is why I said monkey rigged. It is stranded with no end connector. That’s what I was looking at? Again hope I Made myself clearer on my thoughts as that wire was confusing me why its there…

Last edited by J4Fun; 01-19-2024 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarify post

Old 01-18-2024, 04:19 PM   #7

Loose wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by krat View Post
Beating on electrics generally does not help. They do not understand what they have done wrong and therefore are difficult to train.

That round thing with a positive and negative terminal you show in the photo is your solenoid. It connects and disconnects battery to starter. Take a heavy lead and jump from + to - on that solenoid and see if your starter turns over.

If it does your solenoid, the starter switch, the Bendix in the starter or the wiring is at fault.

If it still clicks and does nothing your battery is low and needs a full charge or replacement.

9 of 10 times it is the battery or corroded connections at the battery. These machines have a low tolerance for low battery power and the difference between working and not working is only a fraction of a volt.
What about that red and yellow wire coming out, that isn't connected to anything?

Old 01-18-2024, 04:20 PM   #8

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Your wiring looks monkey rigged. The solenoid needs big wire from the battery in one side, big wire out to starter other side. Small yellow and red hanging there I believe is hot from key or push button, the small green and red is for ground. The two smaller wires are supposed to connect to the solenoid to energize it for start… my thoughts

Aren't they coming out of the solenoid?

Old 01-18-2024, 04:26 PM   #9

As mentioned before. Check all connections for corrosion and having good connection. Make sure you have a good fully charged battery. Checking voltage will not tell you if the battery is good or not. Your local auto parts will do a free load test for you on the battery.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 01-18-2024, 04:31 PM   #10

Your solenoid is rubber mounted and the two smaller wires as mentioned are there to energize it. There should be contact points for them on the solenoid. If not look and see where they broke off. You may need a new solenoid if the spades are broken or however yours are attached.

Old 01-18-2024, 04:40 PM   #11

Yep the two smaller wires come right out of the solenoid to a connector. I’m looking at mine as we speak.

Old 01-18-2024, 07:48 PM   #12

THIS PIC shows a typical solenoid connector with the same wire colors as yours.

As stated above, there should be a red wire from the battery to the solenoid, and then a second red wire from the solenoid directly to the starter motor terminal. I have no clue what the extra white and black wires attached to the solenoid terminals are for, or where they go, can you tell?

Old 01-18-2024, 07:52 PM   #13

Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
THIS PIC shows a typical solenoid connector with the same wire colors as yours.

As stated above, there should be a red wire from the battery to the solenoid, and then a second red wire from the solenoid directly to the starter motor terminal. I have no clue what the extra white and black wires attached to the solenoid terminals are for, or where they go, can you tell?
But what do those 2 colored wires connect to? On mine 1 is attached to a heat sink looking thing, and the other one is hanging loose.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:18 PM   #14

They are supposed to plug into the harness, the yellow/red tracer usually comes from the starter button on the handlebars, the green goes to the common ground in the harness. Yours isn't hooked to that "heat sink" (regulator/rectifier), it is just using the mounting screw as a grounding point.

Old 01-18-2024, 08:35 PM   #15

Oh, I see. I assume it would be a problem that its cut?

Also would that explain why it makes 1 soft click but doesn't turn?

Tags
cdi, starter, starter motor