Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #1

Anyone interested in riding to Inuvik, NWT next Summer?

Howdy All,

I am in the planning stage of a trip from Colorado to Inuvik, NWT Canada next Summer.

None of my current riding partners are interested because they feel they'd have to ride too slow to accompany me on the paved portions of the ride. I don't ride my RX3 faster than 65 mph normally, and for such a long trip, I prefer to err on the side of moderate speed for increased reliability.

Ideally, I'd like to find 1 or 2 other RX3 riders who might be interested in this ride.

I have scheduled 4 weeks for the ride so that I won't have to make every day a marathon day and still have some time for relaxation and/or unexpected delays. Looking at mid-July.

This is not the exact route I intend to take, but gives an idea of the magnitude of distance.

Anyone interested?

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 07-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #2

The Dempster Highway has been extended to Tuktoyaktuk. You might want to plan on going the extra miles.

I rode to Inuvik in 2015 and I haven't yet ruled out riding to Tuk some day.

https://dualsportblog.wordpress.com/...dawson-inuvik/

Last edited by RockyDS; 07-26-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

No way I will be able to ride that whole distance, and I wouldn't be on a RX... but if you want someone to ride with through Northern CO and most if not all of WY, I can probably get a few days off with the KLR.

Just have to make sure I torqued that magneto bolt to spec... I'm pretty sure I can do that by July next year

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:14 PM   #4

Too bad you're not crossing near my place in BC. I'd be inclined to ride with you for awhile. At the very least, I could be a maintenance stop for you.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #5

I just got home yesterday. I rode my F800GSA and went to Tuktoyaktuk. The Dempster is pretty good when dry all the way to Inuvik but the new extension to Tuk is TERRIBLE. I know they said it was done but not a single foot of it is complete. It's deep loose sand and rock and even jeeps are getting stuck if it rains. Motorcycles are crashing a LOT up on it. Hopefully next year they will have finished it. It's worth the extra 100 miles up and back if the road is done to be at the Arctic Ocean! Here is a thread on Tuk: https://advrider.com/index.php?threa...o-tuk.1199999/

Old 08-07-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Dan, I know a guy who writes the ExhaustNotes blog and who rides an RX3 who's wife just said he could go with you...

Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #7

Dan, I've had this post up on my computer for a couple of days and just now found the time to write up a reply. I would love to do a ride like this, but it's just not in the cards for me right now. I hope to take a long weekend early next year and get some moto-camping in, but we'll see how that plays out. The move out to Phoenix has really cut down on how much I'm able to get out on two (or in the case of the Ural, three) wheels for anything other than running some errands around town. Having a one year old stomping around the house isn't making my time any easier to come by, either. Who would have seen that one coming? It takes a special kind of crazy to be a parent, but it's by far the most rewarding insanity there is. Please keep us posted as your ride comes together.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 08-08-2018, 09:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
Dan, I've had this post up on my computer for a couple of days and just now found the time to write up a reply. I would love to do a ride like this, but it's just not in the cards for me right now. I hope to take a long weekend early next year and get some moto-camping in, but we'll see how that plays out. The move out to Phoenix has really cut down on how much I'm able to get out on two (or in the case of the Ural, three) wheels for anything other than running some errands around town. Having a one year old stomping around the house isn't making my time any easier to come by, either. Who would have seen that one coming? It takes a special kind of crazy to be a parent, but it's by far the most rewarding insanity there is. Please keep us posted as your ride comes together.
You'll have to figure out how to put that car seat in the side car.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 08-08-2018, 10:03 PM   #9

Dan, hit me up if you have any questions as you do your planning since I was just up there.

Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
Dan, I know a guy who writes the ExhaustNotes blog and who rides an RX3 who's wife just said he could go with you...
ÈrJiὺ hái shì DāJiὺ?

I suppose either would do, although I only know Mr Gresh by reputation. If you are serious sir, let me know and we will begin serious planning.

I've already got the go ahead to take a full month off from work, but I told my boss that I'm not certain of the dates yet. So far it looks like mid-June through mid-July is a good window with warm-ish temperatures and not too much rain yet. The road to Tuk might also be an option too.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post
ÈrJiὺ hái shì DāJiὺ?

I suppose either would do, although I only know Mr Gresh by reputation. If you are serious sir, let me know and we will begin serious planning.

I've already got the go ahead to take a full month off from work, but I told my boss that I'm not certain of the dates yet. So far it looks like mid-June through mid-July is a good window with warm-ish temperatures and not too much rain yet. The road to Tuk might also be an option too.

Cheers,

Dan K.
Yep, I'm serious, Dan. I'll float this by Joe 2, although he may be already planning a trip on his RT 360 to the same area. You know how to reach me.

Sounds like fun.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post

You'll have to figure out how to put that car seat in the side car.
I've already got a plan for that, Jerry! The smallest kids helmet I can find is for about age three. By that time, the little Bambino will be able to keep himself in the sidecar and have a pretty good idea of how a motorcycle works. He's going to be a hit when I drop him off on his first day of school!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 08-11-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

Dan, for some reason I cant see the preliminary route image???
Middle of June to middle of July is good time to go.
I would be interested to go also, Meet you along the way before crossing the border.
Just depends on work load or if I retire this winter??????
You camping or staying in motels?
Joe Martin just got back from his Alaska trip so his brain is fresh on the subject.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCDude View Post
Yep, I'm serious, Dan. I'll float this by Joe 2, although he may be already planning a trip on his RT 360 to the same area. You know how to reach me.

Sounds like fun.
I'll shoot you an email Joe.

Dan K.

Old 08-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Dan, for some reason I cant see the preliminary route image???
Middle of June to middle of July is good time to go.
That was just a quick google maps route for illustrative purposes. Don't know why you can't see it? I do have a detailed route that I had planned back in 2009 for a 2010 trip that got cancelled due to unemployment. It includes some dirt roads and is mostly two-lane highways all the way to the Canadian border. Once across the border it's all two-lane highways to Whitehorse.

I chose that time window just based on historical precipitation data. Cold doesn't bother me, but I prefer it to be a dry as possible.

Quote:
I would be interested to go also, Meet you along the way before crossing the border.
Meeting along the way is certainly doable as you'd be coming from the PNW. You could ride up 97 in CA and meet at Prince George.

Quote:
You camping or staying in motels?
My preference is a few days camping followed by a motel night. Personally, I don't usually plan out my daily distances and destinations much. I prefer to just ride and as the day progresses figure out where to stay the night. Sometimes its a roadside stop, sometimes a camp ground, sometimes a motel.

I plan to order a set of tires to be delivered to a shop in Whitehorse so that I can do the Klondike Highway portion on TKC-80's or Kenda Big Blocks, so I think that will be the only town where I definitely want to have a hotel room reserved.

All is up for discussion among they who will be riding with me.

Cheers,

Dan K.