Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2018, 07:21 PM   #331

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Please keep it that way.
It will be you next!

Old 12-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #332

So i got the 300 kit installed and am proceeding with putting all the rest of bike back together. Then i notice the intake manifold o ring was missing. Cant find it any where. Im assuming since it was almost directly over the crank case opening that it fell down onto the rag stuffed in the crankcase and when i pulled the rag out the o ring fell in.????????
So my question for all of you is can i see into the crankcase below the crank if i take the clutch side cover off to fish it out?
I definately dont want to pull head and cylinder off again and order new gaskets . Thanks rj

Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
So i got the 300 kit installed and am proceeding with putting all the rest of bike back together. Then i notice the intake manifold o ring was missing. Cant find it any where. Im assuming since it was almost directly over the crank case opening that it fell down onto the rag stuffed in the crankcase and when i pulled the rag out the o ring fell in.????????
So my question for all of you is can i see into the crankcase below the crank if i take the clutch side cover off to fish it out?
I definately dont want to pull head and cylinder off again and order new gaskets . Thanks rj
Sadly no you cant see anything, but I strongly suggest loking around the outside area cause I doubt you lost it in there.

Mind you a rubber O ring in crank area can't do much harm as it is cheing gum n just break up in to pieces and pulp

Old 12-03-2018, 10:54 AM   #334

+1 to what he said. Check your oil filters if you've put a few miles on the bike after it possibly fell in there.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #335

rj, worst case...the O ring gets chewed up into a bazillion bits. The oil circuit will catch the larger bits in those two strainers. What gets past the strainers will be caught by the oil filter before it can be pumped into the engine parts where you find critical clearances. Thus, the chances of any real engine damage are slim. With that said, I'd eat the cost of those gaskets and pull the jug for one more attempt to find that darn O ring. The cost is minimal and the peace of mind is priceless.

Peter Y.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #336

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
It will be you next!
No secrets here. In real life white hair and beard makes kids think I am Santa Claus, but I'm not. Santa and I look alike because we are cousins. However, I don't care much for freezing cold; I'm not the sleigh and reindeer type. Instead, I have a Conestoga wagon pulled by a couple buffalo. Appropriate for a Native Texan, no?

By the way, here is another for you: The only land mammals indigenous to New Zealand are three species of bats. NzBats. Hmmmmm?

Old 12-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #337

rj, that o-ring is a pain. I ended up goo-ing it in lithium grease and it held the little track long enough to mount it. The fact it point slightly down doesn't help.

It's not a tiny oring. I'm sure you would have seen in on the rag you had stuffed in the crank.
It has to be hidden in the bike somewhere...

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #338

For all it’s worth, there is a 298cc 84mm piston kit out there but I’ve not tried more will I - yet if anyone is interested to take the punt PM me
Yes more expensive tho

Old 12-07-2018, 08:14 PM   #339

Quote:
For all it’s worth, there is a 298cc 84mm piston kit out there but I’ve not tried more will I - yet if anyone is interested to take the punt PM me
Yes more expensive tho
Hmmm? Reference to engineering characteristics and installation instructions? I draw the line somewhere. Don't yet know where. Already having heat problems with your kit and the stock radiators on warm days when holding WFO. Only reason I have yet to measure for a stroker crank--stock cooling can't handle any more than what the bike has with your kit under my riding conditions. Close ratio trans also needs different ratios before adding more torque curve, your kit is about all the stock ratios can feel comfortable with. Then, more displacement would just about require a modified head and more radical cam, and the cam is probably not available due to the compression release, but more displacement may then be somewhat compatible with the stock trans ratios.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqwert View Post
Hmmm? Reference to engineering characteristics and installation instructions? I draw the line somewhere. Don't yet know where. Already having heat problems with your kit and the stock radiators on warm days when holding WFO. Only reason I have yet to measure for a stroker crank--stock cooling can't handle any more than what the bike has with your kit under my riding conditions. Close ratio trans also needs different ratios before adding more torque curve, your kit is about all the stock ratios can feel comfortable with. Then, more displacement would just about require a modified head and more radical cam, and the cam is probably not available due to the compression release, but more displacement may then be somewhat compatible with the stock trans ratios.
Then might as well NC450 the RX3

Old 12-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
rj, that o-ring is a pain. I ended up goo-ing it in lithium grease and it held the little track long enough to mount it. The fact it point slightly down doesn't help.

It's not a tiny oring. I'm sure you would have seen in on the rag you had stuffed in the crank.
It has to be hidden in the bike somewhere...
I've looked and looked for the O Ring. Believe you me. Since I grabbed the rag and gently pulled it out from under the piston ,I assume it may of rolled off and fell in the crankcase. Or Maybe a mouse ran off with it, Vermin. Any way it's buttoned up. New O Ring should be here tomorrow. I'll get it installed and run it and hope for the best. Check the screens and filter and if I see it I'll let you guys know. I remember when I first looked at the O Ring when taking the manifold off thinking to myself , wow they really put that in there cause I couldn't just pick it out with my finger nails. Then next time I looked for it was gone, motor put back together. Time stopped, perspiration ran , Oh crud moment.
Got other projects I need to get on to while the weather is cold up here. rj

Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #342

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmorel View Post
I've looked and looked for the O Ring. Believe you me. Since I grabbed the rag and gently pulled it out from under the piston ,I assume it may of rolled off and fell in the crankcase. Or Maybe a mouse ran off with it, Vermin. Any way it's buttoned up. New O Ring should be here tomorrow. I'll get it installed and run it and hope for the best. Check the screens and filter and if I see it I'll let you guys know. I remember when I first looked at the O Ring when taking the manifold off thinking to myself , wow they really put that in there cause I couldn't just pick it out with my finger nails. Then next time I looked for it was gone, motor put back together. Time stopped, perspiration ran , Oh crud moment.
Got other projects I need to get on to while the weather is cold up here. rj
My only word of advise is be real nice to it during break-in and treat it like a new motor. I could tell there were some hot heat cycles, especially during the first 150 miles. Then it really started smoothing out.
Let us know what you think, regarding power band. My bottom end and mid-range became all I wished it had been to begin with but the top end is fairly flat. It doesn't seem to pay any dividends at redline. I figured this is a matter of mapping. Same amount of fuel and timing curve feeding a bigger hole.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-10-2018, 11:01 PM   #343

Quote:
Then might as well NC450 the RX3
EXACTLY!!!

I am seriously considering adding a RX4 to the collection.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:55 PM   #344

I just fired 300 up for the first time. Took a little bit but it finally settled down and ran. I ran it enough to get the fans to come on 2x then shut it down. Will let it cool then maybe run another heat cycle?
Question .........how to break it in?
Will running it on the lift without a load like
running down the street and varying throttle up and down cause the rings to not seat since it doesn't have a load on it? Kinda cold up here now , expecting snow so it may be 2-3 months before I can get it on the road at my age.
Also the radiator hoses and clamps are seeping a little. Grrrr. Time for new hoses and clamps ? Or keep tighten them till they seal?
Are there better hoses available? Think I saw Silicone ones advertised somewhere? NZ ?
It's a 2015 2nd batch to come thru CSC I believe.
At 16,700 miles on it now.
Now maybe I can keep up with Orlando and Thelma and the Berkster
thanks for all your help guys, rj

Old 12-11-2018, 07:10 PM   #345

Interestingly MC Garage recently did about the most scientific comparison of doing the standard break in method -vs- just ride it!

Short story is for this type of bike....it didn't matter.

Joe