Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

I slightly modded the KLX PICS ADDED!

I'll take pics tonight or tomorrow, I did not have any time yesterday. I also owe you all pics of the new little trailer, again no time yet...

In prepping the KLX for a big upcoming dual sport ride and some light adventure touring this summer I fitted a very nice rear rack and a very heavy duty skid plate.

Somewhere down the road I think it will receive a pipe and jet kit. I've seen real dyno numbers for a HP increase from around 20 to around 25 with those mods. 5 HP may not sound like a lot until you think of it as a 25% increase AND a weight loss of a few pounds, maybe enough to offset the increase from the skid plate and rack I just fitted.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #2

Andy ordered us Two Brother's pipes and Dynojet kits. It's gonna be Rock and rollin' soon! :P

Old 03-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #3

The pipe, and jet kit is well worth it. I would also recommend getting rid of the backfire screen, and airbox lid while you already have the carb out.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y
The pipe, and jet kit is well worth it. I would also recommend getting rid of the backfire screen, and airbox lid while you already have the carb out.
I was planning on keeping the lid but removing the snorkel. I've heard it's kinda loud without the lid.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #5

A 5hp increase is a considerable amount for a 250. I'm surprised that there's that much power hiding in the muffler.

Does Uni make a filter to fit the stock airbox?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

They do but the popular opinion on the various forums is that it is not needed.

I've seen dynos that the jetting and the pipe each add 2-2 1/2 HP individually or 4-5 in combination. In stock form the bike is so heavily restricted. I've heard ceiling fans that make more noise than my KLX :? .

Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #7

Wait to you hear my "Q" With the NEW Pro Circuit Pipe. Loud and Proud. LOL - Well shouldn't say that becuase I really don't know yet but will tommorrow. Put the EW Battery in her today and she's been on the battery tender most of today. As long as it's not raining tomorrow's the day. Definately will have video for ya soon. It will be posted in my Pipe install thread. Can't wait to see the Kawasaki Pitures. We all like pictures and videos.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #8

I'm glad your Q is ready to rock! I hope the weather cooperates, be careful out there I bet ther's going to be a lot of sand, salt, gravel etc to slip on. 8O

I currently for the first time in years have no Q in my life. :(

My buddy Roger sold his today for more than he paid for it new! 8O

http://kpr.craigslist.org/mcy/2251331591.html

He bought a 2005 KLX300.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #9

Thats good - That means they hold value. I fOUND ONE ONE ON eBAY TODAY - It's an XF Model - They want $2799.00 Plus sshipping dealer feees, prep, etc....I paid $1395.00 for mine and that was total with FREE Shipping right to my store. I am very happy I bought when I did. I think all bike prices will once again go on the rise since the price of gas is rising. There will be alot of bike purchases this summer I believe. It's proabably a sellers market right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Qlink...Q5fmotorcycles

Andrew
8)

Old 03-08-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

We eagerly await further updates, and photographs, Doc!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #11

Sorry about the quality of the pics and the fact they were flash at night. I've been working so hard I've not had hardly any free time.

Here's the rack and the skidplate on the KLX. They are very strong, were easy to mount, and look like they will serve me well:

I mounted a new tire on The Dirt Rat. Andy suggested and ordered me a Bridgestone motocross tire for soft/intermediate terrain. Since this tire will never see pavement it seemed like it was worth a try:

Some pics of the trailer after a quick powerwashing:

I have acquired yet another perpetual loan KLR650.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #12

I will be taking The Dirt Rat to the Juniper WInlderness Sand Dunes on Saturday and this tire looks like it will do well out there. The only thing that is more aggressive I can think of would be a sand paddle. Roger will be taking his new KLX300 so we will be breaking in my 'new' trailer.

Each time I mount a tire I swear I won't do another one. This one was not too bad though. About an hour from starting to take the wheel off to the test ride. The tube was a Dunlop so I reused it after a thorough inspection.

The rails on the trailer can be placed in any of the three positions. I have one in the middle because I will be towing The Dirt Rat solo to Rogers. Then we will move the rails to the outsides to mount his KLX300 for the rest of the ride to the sand dunes. I hope to fabricate a third rail soon so I don't have to be moving one back and forth.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #13

Holy Kawi stable! 8O You must be living well.

Maybe you could find another XR rim for cheap on eBay and mount a paddle on it. I see good used paddles on CL often.

The trailer looks good! Bonus that you can move the rails around for now.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #14

Thanks for posting the photos, Doc! The new rack and skid plate look great. Is that a Ricochet skid plate?

After I stopped changing tires on my knees, I actually enjoy changing them! I strongly encourage you to get a Moose Racing Tire Changing Stand, or its equivalent.

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.j..._group_id=7816

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
Holy Kawi stable! 8O You must be living well.

Maybe you could find another XR rim for cheap on eBay and mount a paddle on it. I see good used paddles on CL often.

The trailer looks good! Bonus that you can move the rails around for now.
The idea for an extra rim is excellent. I'll see how it does on this tire but will consider a sand paddle. I've never ridden a bike with a paddle. I don't know if my OHC 200cc Lifan has the power for one though :? .

The deal on the KLR's is that if I store and maintain them, and Rand can take them at his convience, I can ride them all I want. Rand is the president of the hospital I'm affiliated with, and is very good at physician relations!