Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM   #91

I'd be checking the pilot jet in the carb. I bet it's full of shellac.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy469
OKIES, got it all put together, new oil, new filter, topped off the tank and went to start it.... :( No Joy! Methinks I forgot to put fuel stabilizer in it when it was just sitting there for months. And me without any ether...

daddy 8)
You might try disconnecting the fuel line from the carburetor, and draining the old fuel from the tank. Then try starting the bike after filling the tank with fresh fuel. If you didn't drain the carburetor float bowl before you left, try draining it now; perhaps you will get lucky, and not need to clean your carburetor.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #93

Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I held the throttle wide open and never smelt gas. I also found a mystery knob on the side by the emission controls.My battery is dead :roll: . I'm kinda tired of taking it apart, I just wanna ride it . Although, it is/was raining pretty hard this evening. When I went out to the garage after getting home I found a single drop of oil on the ground. Looks like a remant off the skid plate from something. Better be or I'm burning something. The spiders tell me to do things....
Here is a picture of the mystery knob. It is not the choke. The choke is on the carb and says choke on it . I didn't have a ton of motivation to follow it, but it does look like it has something to do with the carb cuz there is a cable headed that direction and I can't for the life of me figure out what else it would go to.

daddy 8)

Old 03-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #94

Quote:
...I'm kinda tired of taking it apart, I just wanna ride it ...
Amen!
Quote:
...Here is a picture of the mystery knob. It is not the choke. The choke is on the carb and says choke on it . I didn't have a ton of motivation to follow it, but it does look like it has something to do with the carb cuz there is a cable headed that direction and I can't for the life of me figure out what else it would go to...
Perhaps the "mystery knob" is the idle speed adjustment screw?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #95

Hmm, you are prolly right - I've just never seen one so far away from the carb before. "They will never figure this one out ha ha ha, pass the rice." My new plan involves tilting the bike against the corner of my garage (near the fetal mat), removing the flywheel nut cover, attaching the proper size deep well socket and attaching a drill. It is my tried and true method for starting stuff that hasn't been started in a while . We shall see what we shall see! I also forgot to tighten the stator ground. I remember putting it on its post, but I'm 99% certain I didn't get it with a wrench. A bad ground is never a happy thing.

daddy 8)

Old 03-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #96

I've seen a number of machines with a hard to access idle screw with such a knob. My 2008 Ninja 250 had one.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:43 AM   #97

That mystery knob is well below the drain screw on the float bowl. if it is connected to the idle screw, I presume it uses a cable.

When I find weird stuff like that, I stuff my camera in and take a bunch of pics, hoping that something will be clear. That's how I figured out that the petcock on the Hummer 250 was installed, it's just backwards and inaccessible. :roll:

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM   #98

On my Ninja 250 it was hooked up with a cable. It was the same setup on a ZX-11 Ninja I had years ago, and maybe another bike or three from my past.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #99

yes it is idle speed adjusting knob.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:23 PM   #100

one way i have found to clean carbs when your feeling lazy is to buy some aerosol carb cleaner with the straw, drain your float bowl then fill it through the float bowl drain tube (this bypasses the needle valve and allows it to fill all the way past the jets) once it is filled try starting the bike, it will take a bit because it will be flooded, if it worked it will eventually start. yes your bike will run off of pure carb cleaner although not very well. you will probably need to hold the throttle open a little to keep it running and burn off the carb cleaner then your good to go

Old 03-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #101

Clever idea. :idea:

If the bike runs but has a plugged jet you can also rev it and suddenly put your palm over the intake, blocking it. The sudden rise in suction will also sometimes clear a plugged jet if you are lucky.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #102

I have had good luck with an air hose. A couple of blasts towards the throat of the carb with a blow gun gets the juices flowing again.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:19 PM   #103

It was coughing and sputtering last night until the battery was dead. I've got a 1/2" drill that says it starts up this afternoon.....

daddy 8)

Old 03-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #104

Kinda like starting a model airplane! :P

Old 03-23-2011, 08:59 AM   #105

LOL so I get home yesterday and my afternoon / evening was booked up by wifey who needed my assistance with such items as:
  • putting up another wall in our basement.
    measuing tape assistant.
    cook.
    child chauffeur.
By the time we (she) got the frame built and tacked in place it was dark and cold and my interest in being in the garage went to 0. Today for certain, i'll be home a good three hours before her :twisted: .

daddy