Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #1

Tao Tao Rhino Sputtering at 3/4 to full throttle

Could it be the valves need to be adjusted? It was running fine. Parked it for about a month. Started right up but now it sputters like it is running rich. I have checked the oil level and it is correct. I have emptied the gas tank and put in fresh fuel. I always use stabil in my fuel and only use high octane.

I appreciate any help.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #2

Is your choke in the "halfway" setting? It's cable driven so maybe it slipped?

If the choke is ok, I'd lean more toward carb gunk from sitting. If you still have the stock carb, it's all sealed up (at least mine was) so there's no getting to the jets. I'd try running the heck out of it, getting it hot a bunch of times and hopefully it will clear up.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 07-11-2016, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks 2LZ. I think the choke is fine because I can start it and it idles fine. Works fine when I'm riding it until I got to about 3/4 throttle. Then it sputters. I rode it for about 2 hours so I would think it would have been plenty hot (Central Texas and about 100 degrees). It is the stock carb. I know I can't do anything to the inside of the carb. I just didn't know if that was a symptom of the valves not right. I have opened the carb bowl screw and let all the gas spill out from there which is how I drained the tank.

I may have to do the Mikuni carb upgrade quicker than I thought.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckred17 View Post

I may have to do the Mikuni carb upgrade quicker than I thought.
Just in case, I'd stick my finger down into the carb area and push on the little black plastic choke flap to ensure it's all the way off. I had some cable issues with mine prior to switching to the Mikuni. The little thumb flipper up on the bars worked loose and the choke flap wasn't witting right. Once I got the Mikuni, I eliminated the cable. Just as easy to flip the choke on the carb.

For what it's worth, I really like the Mikuni I put on my Rhino. I think I have it a wee bit rich but jets are readily available.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-11-2016, 04:25 PM   #5

Wouldn't be the valves because that would give you a problem at idle.

Mouse nest in the air filter?

What color is the spark plug?

Old 07-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Just in case, I'd stick my finger down into the carb area and push on the little black plastic choke flap to ensure it's all the way off. I had some cable issues with mine prior to switching to the Mikuni. The little thumb flipper up on the bars worked loose and the choke flap wasn't witting right. Once I got the Mikuni, I eliminated the cable. Just as easy to flip the choke on the carb.

For what it's worth, I really like the Mikuni I put on my Rhino. I think I have it a wee bit rich but jets are readily available.
I will check that out then. I did use the choke to start it. It may be that flap. I put my finger up there and see if I can feel anything. (I feel like I should be a proctologist or something)

Old 07-11-2016, 04:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post

Thanks Mudflap. I have a new air filter for that I will put on tonight and a new spark plug. I will check out the color.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post

Valves on these also would show as a starting problem too. That's usually my first indication of needing resetting.
The mouse nest! Man...I get way too deep sometimes.......... My friends car was full of mouse nests and back-stocked cat food. Good call Mudflap!

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

Ok Guys,

Thanks for the help. First of all the plug is black. I assuming that means rich. The NGK plugs I bought were the wrong ones

So I pulled off the air cleaner canister and it runs great at full throttle. What is the hose that goes into the air cleaner for? When I opened up the canister, the filter was real oily. It looks like it came from that cause it is oily. My new filter is the blue one that someone on here recommended and it does not have a connector for the hose on it. Not sure what to do with that one.

I have about 5 hours on the oil but I am changing it today.

What do I do with the hose?

What NGK plug do you use?

Thanks

Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Ok Guys,

Thanks for the help. First of all the plug is black. I assuming that means rich. The NGK plugs I bought were the wrong ones

So I pulled off the air cleaner canister and it runs great at full throttle. What is the hose that goes into the air cleaner for? When I opened up the canister, the filter was real oily. It looks like it came from that cause it is oily. My new filter is the blue one that someone on here recommended and it does not have a connector for the hose on it. Not sure what to do with that one.

I have about 5 hours on the oil but I am changing it today.

What do I do with the hose?

What NGK plug do you use?

Thanks
You still have the original garbage canister on it? Toss and get a pod.
That mystery hose comes from the crankcase breather. Do what I did and flip it around toward the ground. If you feel so inclined, put a little filter on its end but I've never done it. No problems in 50 years of riding. Some will warn you otherwise though.

The plug is a NGK D8EA. That's what I'm running with no problems. Man...black. Sure sounds like the choke is half way on.....

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #11

Thanks 2LZ. Here is the filter I put on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the new filter on it, I seems to run great standing still. I haven't rode it yet because of the tube that was on the canister. I think the filter had so much oil on it it was having a hard time getting enough air through the oil. I am going to put just a little fuel filter on the tube so dirt and water or bugs etc. do not get into the motor.

I have watched the choke and when I choke it wide open, it kills the motor. It does however seem to have some play in the cable at the switch when it is closed all the way. Is there someway to adjust it?

Old 07-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Thanks 2LZ. Here is the filter I put on it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With the new filter on it, I seems to run great standing still. I haven't rode it yet because of the tube that was on the canister. I think the filter had so much oil on it it was having a hard time getting enough air through the oil. I am going to put just a little fuel filter on the tube so dirt and water or bugs etc. do not get into the motor.

I have watched the choke and when I choke it wide open, it kills the motor. It does however seem to have some play in the cable at the switch when it is closed all the way. Is there someway to adjust it?
That's the same filter I'm running. No problems.

The cable is probably adjustable on a hold-down on the carb. Push the thumb paddle on the handle bars full right (open). Loosen the screw on the carb holddown (carb end of the cable) and slide the cable sheet. Make sure the actual choke flipper on the carb goes all the way open (full down position?), then tighten the screw. You don't want that mal-adjusted sheath not allowing your choke flipper to open all the way. My suspect, from my keyboard, is still there on your situation, especially showing a heavy rich condition on the plug and the symptoms that you are explaining.

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #13

FWIW, this is the filter I use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-42mm-B...FUi8Cu&vxp=mtr

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Yes, these filter awesomely, especially in dusty conditions. I need to get over my psychotic phobia... ;-)

2009 Q Link XP 200

Old 07-24-2016, 07:32 PM   #15

2LZ,

Thanks for the help. I put the new filter and the new spark plug and it runs great. Now if I can fix my rear end, it will be great.