Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #1

Biggest Guy on a Helcat/Vader/etc

I find these bikes to be super cool, but I have my doubts about fitment.
6'1" and currently 240. Would a small bike like these stand a chance under a guy like me?.... or would I look like the proverbial bear on the tricycle at the circus, and crush the poor thing while smoking the clutch to get rolling?

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #2

240 will be okay with the stock motor.

Old 04-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #3

You will be fine maybe a bit cramped up!
I’m pretty sure I read the Vader capacity is 325 pounds.

Cheers!!

Old 04-27-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

Here is my sales pitch once again, but I do think you should contact Pete at Kronik Racing. He is the Vader guru and being a California dealer will do all the DMV paperwork for you. He does not sell Hellcats as in his opinion, he is not a fan of Taotao. I disagree with him, as I like Taotao and feel they have been upping their quality year after year, but he swears by the Vader, and talks smack about the Hellcat. Just so one doesn't think he has a stake in Vader, he really likes Icebear's quality and proudly sells the Fuerza and Champion (CT70 clone), although most Icebear products are not CARB legal. Your question reminded me of a story he told of a guy who bought a Vader in Simi Valley at his shop, and rode it back to Culver City in spite of Pete offering free delivery. If you are familiar with Los Angeles' general metropolitan area, that is no easy drive for a 125cc bike. The guy was apparently over 300 lbs which is my point, and never reported issues with the bike. Pete is a stand up guy and would not sell a bike knowing it would be possibly ruined, especially since he can't keep them (Vaders) in stock, and could sell it to the next guy. But, I did speak to him a couple weeks ago, and apparently the supply of Vaders was drying up, and he was able to pick up the last 15 or so bikes that Boom had until sometime in May. He might be sold out right now.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #5

I am a 240lb man. 5'10". Yes, I am a blubber chubber. The bike has no issue getting on its way. Heck, you can get it rolling in 1st without any throttle.

I might look like a circus bear, but my 6'2" friend rode it who weighs more than I. We both loved it. Lots of stupid fun. Too much stupid fun. Riding my big bike is like putting on pants and button down to go to some snazzy restaurant. Riding this is like rolling in gym shorts and hitting up a fast food joint. I am a fan.

One complaint specific to the hellcat. The seat is a bit hard, and the bend angle on the edges seems to hit mid-cheek. That said, I get on my XJ afterwards and it's like riding a quick, agile sofa. I think a seat replacement or re-contour is in my future. Part of it could be that I have ridden it in the neighborhood, which is infested with speed bumps.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:46 PM   #6

I know a lot of people with Groms and Grom clones. They are a bit of popular trend here in Omaha for whatever reason. Truth is, everybody looks like a bear on a tricycle when riding them except for sub 5'7'' tall 140lb people. Imagine all 6ft 4 270lbs of me on one, and I have seen even bigger guys than me riding them lol. I actually wanted to get one myself, but decided I wanted more utility and capability, and thus got a Hawk instead.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-10-2020, 06:11 PM   #7

great guys. I am 6'2" and 255 lbs. just rode my Boom vader for the first time today after waiting 5 weeks to get the registration, title and plate from the VA DMV. ( all offices in the state are closed.) All I can say is that I love the little beasty. I did put on a new HD DID chain and changed out the front sprocket for a 17T one. I do have to re-calibrate the speed-o as it is about 6-7 mph faster than my GPS. Other than that, the little bike will suite me just fine to local and to and from work trips. I did change out the seat for a much better and FLATTER one and that feels really great and seats better than the original.

Carl

Old 05-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonacat View Post
great guys. I am 6'2" and 255 lbs. just rode my Boom vader for the first time today after waiting 5 weeks to get the registration, title and plate from the VA DMV. ( all offices in the state are closed.) All I can say is that I love the little beasty. I did put on a new HD DID chain and changed out the front sprocket for a 17T one. I do have to re-calibrate the speed-o as it is about 6-7 mph faster than my GPS. Other than that, the little bike will suite me just fine to local and to and from work trips. I did change out the seat for a much better and FLATTER one and that feels really great and seats better than the original.

Carl

How do you go about re-calibrating a speedo? I have heard of people doing it but I do not know what I need to obtain to be able to do this

Old 05-10-2020, 08:31 PM   #9

Glad to hear you are enjoying it- and as far as the "big guy" angle goes, there is a guy seen in many Photogromer Grom ride Out videos on YouTube that is a local Legend, he is every bit of 300 + pounds but he can wheelie his Grom like nobodys business. I forget right now what they call him but he is a local Icon amongst Grom riders, literally everyone knows who he is.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 05-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #10

PastorCzo

here is the youtube video I used ot calibrate my speed-o.

just be sure that once you turn the key ON you push both the left and right buttons
imediately and very quickly.

Carl

Old 06-06-2020, 02:43 PM   #11

As a 300+ pound guy the info here was very helpfull.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
As a 300+ pound guy the info here was very helpfull.
In this class of vehicle (I call them Grom-like-vehicles or minis), I would suggest to look into the Benelli TNT 135 or the Lifan KP Mini 150. Both can hit 60 to 65 mph from stock according to members here on Chinariders. You mentioned your weight, but you also mentioned in your signature that the roads are flat where you live.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-06-2020, 11:30 PM   #13

Guide to 20+hp KP Mini:
-Bike
-KP Moto exhaust (200-250)

-PWK30 Nibbi carb with 118 main, 40 pilot. (90)
-Plug-n-Play Performance 70mm big bore kit 223cc with cam, head, 36/31mm valves, ceramic jug, forged piston, pre-sized rings, gaskets, and wrist pin (~640)
-CR85 Clutch fibers (30)
-Tusk CR85 springs (20? or use a 2.2mm shim for the stock clutch springs)

Lean forward when you hit 3rd, otherwise you're gonna wheelie. Accidental wheelie is the scariest wheelie. I did this swap (but with a PE30). It RIPS. That thing will go faster than I am comfortable with. Makes the ZS190 feel like a 125.

If you need/want EFI and don't want to play with top of engine, the TNT comes in a killer green color.