Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2016, 07:14 AM   #1

Lifan 250cc Magneto Side Hot

Hi Guys!

I am new here and am really happy to find you, I have been working on a 2014 Lifan ATV for the last month....purchased with no spark...not running...beaten up. I have been working without direction...just the odd youtube video.

Anyways, I found that the stator was cooked, and replaced it. When I opened the side, I found a small trace of burnt smelling oil in the coil/flywheel area. I assumed that there was a small leak or something. Not thinking about it too much more, I re-assembled the side and ran the engine. (no gasket maker was there to mate the case) It seems to run OK now, but after running for about 15min I noticed that the starter/case is very hot.... I mean very hot. I shut it down and will not run it again for that long until I find some more answers. I fear this is why the original stator was fried)

The engine seems to be exactly like this one

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Shineray-250C...3D260978886616

I have searched the threads and found out that it may require lube on that side....but if so - how much and with what? Apparently this Lifan 250cc engine is bulletproof....and maybe a clone of the XR200 engine? There is a gear on the starter pinion that seems like it should be lubed somehow....the lube is shared between the crankcase and the gearbox, but does it somehow find its way over to the mag side?

I don't think that this thing should get so hot, I mean I burned my finger on the starter....

Thanks for being out there...

Last edited by carlk; 12-04-2016 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Pasting link of engine Pic

Old 12-04-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

Beaten up ATV
Check there's no short circuit 1st... Stator should be oil bathed...ALL oil paths / centrifugal oil filter MUST clean enough to let it pass...
===
Engine is steroid CG125 http://world.honda.com/history/chall...125/index.html
Shop manual http://josemaco.files.wordpress.com/...h-62ktjam5.pdf covers the basics ...
===

Old 12-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #3

Is the starter running even after the engine is running? Or is the starter being turned by the running engine as if the starter clutch is stuck?

Old 12-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.

The Stator is not shorted, and seems to produce good 14vdc when running.
From what I can tell, the starter is not running with the engine during the engine run period, but it would be hard to tell I guess.

The engine manual is for an engine that is very similar, and it should provide some more information. Thanks! The starter motor is molded to the housing, different than what is illustrated, but I get the gist.

What ports must be open for the oil to be bathing the stator? I drained all of the oil this morning, and refilled to the site glass 1/2 filled level. I guess I will try it again, and then possibly re-open the side again for an inspection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Sump.JPG (23.1 KB, 101 views)