Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2017, 01:01 AM   #1

OK... Those who have them.. Educate me on the TT250

I know there are various threads on the TT250 on here and literally scattered all over this place in this section alone. Now that spring is here and summer fast approaching i am looking at the idea of starting to put money away towards the idea of getting one. I know they are out of stock right now but given they are the only china bike that i can get shipped up to canada....

Anyways those of you who own them on here please tell me pretty much everything you think i should know about them to make a final decision on the idea of getting one.

What mods work best for them
What quirks do they have out of the box

Thanks in advance guys
'80 Honda XL185S
'76 Yamaha DT250C dual sport
Baja Wilderness Trail 250
'07 Honda Shadow 750 Areo Trike
'01 Harley Davidson Softail Deuce
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyj812 View Post
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #2

Since he rode his most of the (COLD!) winter in Pennsylvania, Sullybiker would have the most up to date threads. I believe he posted quite a lot in his 'welcome to chinariders' thread above. Much information to be gleaned just from him!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-08-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Since he rode his most of the (COLD!) winter in Pennsylvania, Sullybiker would have the most up to date threads. I believe he posted quite a lot in his 'welcome to chinariders' thread above. Much information to be gleaned just from him!
Thanks for pointing those threads out! I got some reading to do..gotta reread 2LZs thread on his wife's as well. I am assuming most who order these bikes order them pre assembled from what i can see so far. So i am looking at an investment of a little over 4K all in after conversion (rough estimate of $500 or so for shipping). Hmmm that does put me in the cost territory for buying a brand new CRF 250L here as they are around $4500 new. Hmmm gotta ponder this point a bit.
Save
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
You can't pin this one on me, my wife is still mad at me. I don't need your wife mad at me too. LOL
Quote:
Disclaimer: The above post by 2LZ is in no way the view of this site, other members or Bruce's llama. It is the opinion of 2LZ and 2LZ alone. ;-)

Old 04-08-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post

Hmmm that does put me in the cost territory for buying a brand new CRF 250L here as they are around $4500 new. Hmmm gotta ponder this point a bit.

Save
If that is the case the main reason for buying Chinese is no longer there..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 04-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
If that is the case the main reason for buying Chinese is no longer there..

Yea when one looks at it from that perspective it does make far less sense. Especially considering i could probably find a somewhat new CRF250L for less... or quite likely be able to find an older XR650L for less.

Edit: Yea i can find several late '90s-early '00 XR650s, KLR 650s for under 3K...that may end up being the route i go as the cost conversion makes the numbers so damn close to getting name brand over the TT250.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #6

You can buy a brand new 200cc Suzuki van van for that money in Canada

Old 04-08-2017, 06:28 PM   #7

As great as CSC is for those in the US as far as service/parts go, I wonder how it would work out for you in Canada? If a new Honda can be bought for $4500 vs. closing in on that price for the TT, that is the route I would take. The Bashan bikes and the Hawk are lower priced in the US vs. the TT, but with duties and whatnot, you are looking at, most likely, low mileage GOOD used Japanese bikes. I wonder what is stopping Venom from adding the Bashan bikes or the Hawk (or both) to whatever they are doing bringing in the other bikes they send to Canada? I mean, they charge the same for the bikes they do carry in both the US and Canada, including shipping. I know the distributors they deal with in So. California are near Bashan's distributors (physically), so whoever from Venom is in So. Cal. could surely knock on some other doors? Whatever magic or voodoo they do to bring you guys and us the same bikes for the same price and include shipping could be stretched to enduros, surely!? Call them and see!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-08-2017, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
You can buy a brand new 200cc Suzuki van van for that money in Canada
Never even heard of this bike till now...Not a surprise though given there is no Suzuki dealer where i live anymore. Interesting bike though kinda reminds me of the old RV series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
As great as CSC is for those in the US as far as service/parts go, I wonder how it would work out for you in Canada? If a new Honda can be bought for $4500 vs. closing in on that price for the TT, that is the route I would take. The Bashan bikes and the Hawk are lower priced in the US vs. the TT, but with duties and whatnot, you are looking at, most likely, low mileage GOOD used Japanese bikes. I wonder what is stopping Venom from adding the Bashan bikes or the Hawk (or both) to whatever they are doing bringing in the other bikes they send to Canada? I mean, they charge the same for the bikes they do carry in both the US and Canada, including shipping. I know the distributors they deal with in So. California are near Bashan's distributors (physically), so whoever from Venom is in So. Cal. could surely knock on some other doors? Whatever magic or voodoo they do to bring you guys and us the same bikes for the same price and include shipping could be stretched to enduros, surely!? Call them and see!!
Yea This is one of those times that the Jap bikes win the situation. I keep getting a bad vibe when i read the Venom website however...

Save
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #9

The van van is the new Suzuki rv ,they stopped making them around 1981 ,then brought out a 125 four stroke version around 2000 ,that was sold in England and Europe and very popular with the ladies.This is the first year for us to get them ,and 200 cc will be a great little bike ,with the tires sizes being comparable to the Yamaha tw ,and the reliability of the Suzuki 200 engine ,the tw will have some competition .

Old 04-08-2017, 09:14 PM   #10

I just noticed musictreks posts about comparing his bike to the dr650 ,in his pictures is a shot of the van van .

Old 04-08-2017, 10:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce's View Post
The van van is the new Suzuki rv ,they stopped making them around 1981 ,then brought out a 125 four stroke version around 2000 ,that was sold in England and Europe and very popular with the ladies.This is the first year for us to get them ,and 200 cc will be a great little bike ,with the tires sizes being comparable to the Yamaha tw ,and the reliability of the Suzuki 200 engine ,the tw will have some competition .
I had a '79 RV125 when i was a kid. Granted that one was stripped of its street lights but it was a great bike none the less. Traded it to a buddy of mine a few years ago and he made a 3 wheel car out of it. Biggest reason i got rid of it was being unable to get a rear tire for it. He ended up swapping the front rim to the back and fitting a car tire to that rim. Kinda wish i had figured that out when i had it then i would have gone looking for another RV parts bike and ran front rims on both ends lol. I may need to look to find where the closest Suzuki dealer is now to see if i can get a look at a Van Van.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #12

I bought my TT under the Don't Miss The Boat presale for $1895 it was delivered to me on June 14th and came fully assembled with the exception of having to mount the levers and I did have to bleed the front brake. I put gas in it fired it up and was ready to ride in 10 minutes. When I went to get it registered which I was very apprehensive about due to stories that I had heard about problems getting china bikes registered. I was amazed as I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. I did have a few small issues with it. The odometer was reading in km's but the speed was in mph, I had 2 speedometer cables snap and then the odometer in the replacement speedometer failed. It also had one of the adjustment screws on the fork cap started leaking. Everything was replaced under warranty and I had the parts to my door in Florida in 3 days. I am using this bike mainly as a commuter and it has worked great. I ride it about 40 miles daily to and from work at speeds up to 60 mph and have put almost 10K miles on it since I've had it. Other than having to replace the chain and tires due to wear the only things that I've done I did to make it better suited for me. They come extremely lean from the factory so I rejetted the carb and opened up the exhaust a bit. I also switched to a 45 tooth rear sprocket to get the rpm down a bit and give it the ability to cruise at an honest 60 mph and I swapped out the stock speedometer for the digital cluster since the stock unit wasn't exactly accurate. All in all I'm happy with the bike and I'm planning on doing more off road exploring once I get some free time;
2016 CSC TT 250, 17/40 sprockets, JT 428 chain, Stock Keima carburetor with needle raised 1 notch and 115 main jet. Modified stock exhaust, Tachometer/Digital cluster upgrade. LED headlight, Superbrightleds 1157 Tail light bulb, Shinko 705's 90/90-21 and 120/80-18.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
If you can get Skyteam bikes in Canada there is the Raptor250.
I have seen the odd skyteam show up here. I almost bought one of their Honda CT70 clones a few months back. Though i think it was sold under the Pitster name as well.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote:

Old 04-10-2017, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkrider View Post
Hmmm that does put me in the cost territory for buying a brand new CRF 250L here as they are around $4500 new. Hmmm gotta ponder this point a bit.
Really!? I never thought I'd see the day where it cost LESS to buy a bike in Canada than here in CA....and this price doesn't even include doc and prep.

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/crf250l/street.aspx

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-10-2017, 10:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Really!? I never thought I'd see the day where it cost LESS to buy a bike in Canada than here in CA....and this price doesn't even include doc and prep.

http://powersports.honda.com/2017/crf250l/street.aspx

Here is what they start at here in Canada.

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/model/dir...t/crf250l/2017

However of course as we all know dealers are allowed to set their own pricing. That number i posted up earlier was one such thing when i looked at the CRF last year... though i am kinda wondering at this point if it wasn't the 230L i looked at. I do recall looking at both models at one stage.
'80 Honda XL185S
Polaris Magnum 425 4x4

Quote:
Quote: