Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Tapered steering stem bearings?

I'm having to contsantly tighten my steering stem to control a loud clunk under heavy braking, and then the eventual anti-clunk when accelerating. Classic loose stem bearing.... but, tightening now is not fixing the clunk, and is just making the steering tighter. So I think it's time to replace the bearings. Is there a bearing and race kit available that fits the RX3?

Charles.

Old 05-10-2021, 03:54 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles View Post
I'm having to contsantly tighten my steering stem to control a loud clunk under heavy braking, and then the eventual anti-clunk when accelerating. Classic loose stem bearing.... but, tightening now is not fixing the clunk, and is just making the steering tighter. So I think it's time to replace the bearings. Is there a bearing and race kit available that fits the RX3?

Charles.
I'm a little surprised that you are in need of steering stem bearings after only 3000 miles or so; having said that there is nothing special about the RX3's bearings. Just pull it apart and measure them - outer diameter, then the inner opening, and finally the width; then replace them with the matching tapered style bearing. According to CSC's website, the upper is a 32005, there isn't a number listed for the lower bearing, but both are available if you do actually need them @ $11.50 a piece, plus shipping.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #3

I am too. There's no notchiness or anything, they just do the clunk/release clunk under hard braking. It's not the forks, it's definitely the steering stem. Maybe I'll take it apart and have a look. Bike was stored outside so maybe it's all rusty in there. Not sure why that would cause a clunk though.

Also, 3920 miles right now

Charles.