Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2015, 08:09 PM   #1

Heated Hand Grips

Ok, we are still dealing with temps in the low 90's, but it's not too early to get ready for fall and winter riding.

CSC just sent out an email about heated grips. The price looks reasonable, but wiring things on the bike has never been one of my strengths.

I'm already using a1 for the 10W aux lights, so I'm wondering how the grips should be wired? There is no tutorial that I noticed.

What do you think?

Heated Grips for the RX3!
Available Now!

With winter just around the corner, it’s time to add some heated grips to your motorcycle. Featuring a new elegant grip design and a revolutionary heating structure to deliver heat faster than ever, these are a perfect addition to your RX3 and a fantastic way to stay comfortable while riding in the cold. And the new 5 level temperature controller allows you to accurately adjust the grip temperature, making sure you can enjoy your ride instead of just tolerating it.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:58 PM   #2

dave92029, from the picture on CSC it looks like that is going to be a plug and play, you wont be using the Aux switch, probably a direct wire to the battery with the grips main wire harness; don't think you need to be too worried about installing it. I'm sure CSC will provide instructions if they aren't already with the kit.

I used to have heated grips on my bikes back in Las Vegas, wonderful thing in the cold, not something I need here in the Philippines.

You'll appreciate having them.
www.medicalmissionmatters.org

Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

You can wire the heated grips directly to the battery, but be sure to turn them off when you leave the bike. Otherwise, you can drain your battery.

You can also wire the heated grips to the Aux2 plug, which I recommend. The auxiliary plugs are only active when the ignition key is turned on, so you don't have to worry about draining your batter.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 09-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #4

If you have wrap-around hand guards installed, you probably won't be able to install these heated grips.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-01-2015, 12:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
You can wire the heated grips directly to the battery, but be sure to turn them off when you leave the bike. Otherwise, you can drain your battery.

You can also wire the heated grips to the Aux2 plug, which I recommend. The auxiliary plugs are only active when the ignition key is turned on, so you don't have to worry about draining your batter.
Now that I have my bike, I've been pondering heated grips and the Aux plugs. My dilemma is that I can't decide how I want it to work-maybe one of you experienced fellas can give me some guidance. If I get heated grips and some LED driving lights, and I want to have my lights on so people can see me, but my hands are cold, how do I get both? Do I wire one to the battery, and one to the Aux plug? And then, what's the point of having two Aux plugs if only one works at a time?

Old 10-01-2015, 01:09 AM   #6

I'm considering the grips too, wondering the watt/amp draw on the highest setting as CSC doesn't say.

The amp draw could be a factor of using with the *A* selector. I'm thinking perhaps a relay drawing grip (and it's controller) straight from battery power (fused) and controlled by A1 or A2 which could then also power auxiliary lights.

Spud, why do you think use with the guards might be a problem?

Hmm, heated grips with Hippo Hands. Toasty hands.

Old 10-01-2015, 01:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
I'm considering the grips too, wondering the watt/amp draw on the highest setting as CSC doesn't say.

The amp draw could be a factor of using with the *A* selector. I'm thinking perhaps a relay drawing grip (and it's controller) straight from battery power (fused) and controlled by A1 or A2 which could then also power auxiliary lights.

Spud, why do you think use with the guards might be a problem?

Hmm, heated grips with Hippo Hands. Toasty hands.
I think powering a relay with A1 or A2 is a good idea.

If you trim your grips to mount wrap-around hand guards, the Bikemaster heated grips are probably too long to fit inside the hand guards. You can't trim the Bikemaster heated grips, because the heater elements are molded inside the grips. If you do trim the heated grips, you will create a short circuit, which ruins the grips.

I believe heated grips must be 110 mm, or shorter, to fit inside my Tusk D-Flex hand guards. If the Bikemaster grips are longer than 110 mm, I can't install them with my hand guards.

However, the Oxford Premium Touring Heated Grips can be trimmed to a minimum length of 110 mm, as described in the following thread.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=14944

http://oxford-products.com/us/produc...ted-Grips.html

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220