Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Without seeing it, my guess is oil vapour catch can.
I had to google oil vapor catch can, to figure out what it is and does..lol
It seems semi important to crankcase breathing and overall life of the engine.
But that was just my take on the article I read. How important is it? Do I even need to have it hooked up?

Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Fx200Q View Post
The small module in the upper left looks like it comes from the gas tank, maybe a vent? I'm not sure because I haven't pulled the tank yet and I can't tell by just looking. The bigger hose connects to the air box and the smaller hose under the big one connects to the carb. If this cylinder thing is just a charcoal filter I would like to eliminate it. But I'm still unsure. Any input would help, thanks
If it comes from the tank, it is indeed a vent / charcoal canister. It's not hurting anything, so I'd leave it unless you get an air lock. If it gives you trouble, you could delete the system and place a fuel filter on the hose that comes from the tank. Make sure that you route the hose the asme way it is now, and zip tie it to the frame.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #63

Quote:
I had to google oil vapor catch can, to figure out what it is and does..lol
It seems semi important to crankcase breathing and overall life of the engine.
But that was just my take on the article I read. How important is it? Do I even need to have it hooked up?
It doesn't look like a vapour catch can, but I'll respond to your question.

During normal operation, pressure builds in the bottom end of an engine, and it must be allowed to vent (or it will find a way out). Most dirt bikes simply have a vent hose that goes from the top of the transmission (just under the carb) to the ground, routed between the engine and swingarm. The problem with that design is that dust will be drawn in to the engine.

A catch can allows the oil vapour that is forced out to be collected in a reservoir. It is also usually connected to the air box, and that can turn an air filter black due to oil vapour contact.

The simplest way is to use the dirt bike method, but stick a filter on the hose to prevent dust from entering the engine.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM   #64

Hey thanks Weld. I'll just leave it alone it doesn't seem to be hurting anything.

Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #65

I'm betting it's a charcoal cannister to collect fuel vapors. Trace the final hose and see where it leads.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #66

Remove the single bolt for your gas tank and dis-connect the fuel line then pull off your tank and inspect where this line is going to, my personal Xf does not have a separate vent line connected under the tank anywhere just a vented gas cap. Remove the charcoal canister, air pump and all the extra hoses as they are not needed and are not going to damage or affect the engine if they are not in place.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:46 AM   #67

If 09FX200Q's cap is not vented, he'll need to retain the hose and at least put a filter on it. He might be able to get a vented cap through Taobao.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #68

Yeah I took the tank loose and it is an air hose. I removed the charcoal filter and capped everything but the air hose to the tank. Added some extra hose back to the breather hose and it's running great. Thanks to everyone!

Old 08-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #69

Is your tank venting with that hose now?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #70

Quote:
The small module in the upper left looks like it comes from the gas tank, maybe a vent? I'm not sure because I haven't pulled the tank yet and I can't tell by just looking. The bigger hose connects to the air box and the smaller hose under the big one connects to the carb. If this cylinder thing is just a charcoal filter I would like to eliminate it. But I'm still unsure. Any input would help, thanks
What you call a small module is a check valve for the gas tank. You need this to allow air into the tank as you use fuel. The cap is not vented. Check inside the gas tank lip and you will see one or two squares. These are for any overflow. If you over fill the tank, the gas will go down the vent line and possibly dmage the check valve. My XF had all of this stuff also. I took off all of that stuff but kept the check valve and line. I could have just installed a longer line and routed it to the bottom of the bike. My Kawasaki has an overflow line that does this. I would suggest you do the same. I put caps at the carb and airbox and removed the rest. I also made an aluminum plate to block off the air hole at the head.
2016 Tao Tao 125D