Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2012, 12:01 AM   #1

still wont idle correctly

guys and gals?...have 09 xp200 that awhile back jus twould not idle, so after 3 times of total tear down took to back yard guy and after 3 hours and a slight drill out of slow idle jet i was back in business...didnt find any dirt rust or crud at any time.....anyway now my mpg went from 90 to 67 so could i be running way to rich?, and also somethimes it still stalls at stop lights, running strong down the road with no problems but some times will high idle at stops also.....any thoughts on where to start this whole process again?....where should the fuel air mix be from factory? any help always appreciated

Old 04-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #2

You drilled out the slow jet? How? The smallest numbered drill bit I have is a #60, and that's less than 1.02mm. What did you use? i suspect that's at the root of the fuel consumption issue.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-18-2012, 02:30 PM   #3

the guy used a hand drill?...very small smaller then pencil lead...but why would it not idle smooth then?....very rich almost flooding it?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

I fixed the idle issue on my pit bike by charging the battery full, new cdi, new ignition coil, new rectifier, new spark plug and it runs like a champ.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentman
the guy used a hand drill?...very small smaller then pencil lead...but why would it not idle smooth then?....very rich almost flooding it?
That still doesn't compute for me. Are you sure it was the slow jet and not the main jet that he drilled out?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #6

well at first it wouldnt ilde at all but would run good over 4000 rpms.....anyway now it dies on the highway if i run any amount of time just dies like it has no fuel, let sit a minute and fires right up and runs again like 4/5 mins then dies....if i stay below 4000 it will run good...?.....and to your question we drill wha twe could easliy reach from below with out taking carb off, hope that helps...

Old 04-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Another possibility is a bad CDI unit. However, I defer to the knowledge of the gentlemen who understand carburetors better than I.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #8

Quote:
well at first it wouldnt ilde at all but would run good over 4000 rpms.....anyway now it dies on the highway if i run any amount of time just dies like it has no fuel, let sit a minute and fires right up and runs again like 4/5 mins then dies....if i stay below 4000 it will run good...?.....and to your question we drill wha twe could easliy reach from below with out taking carb off, hope that helps...
Like Spud says, it could be a CDI, but I think the problem is fuel.

I believe that it was the main jet that was drilled out. If the engine dies over 4000 rpm, my guess would be a clogged fuel filter. Do you have an inline filter? If so, it's time to change it. If you don't have one, then drain the tank and remove the petcock for cleaning. Perhaps it's clogged.

The key is that it will run well below 4000 rpm, which indicates that the engine is using the fuel more slowly than the tank can supply it.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #9

pulled petcock and there was some scank in it....nothing on petcock thought....i am running inline filter and very fine "dust" rust in it, could it really be clogged on that?....just put on like 3 tanks of gas ago.....still doesnt idle 100%

Old 04-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #10

Have you had the battery completely checked out: load test, amperage, charge rate? your local auto parts store can do this free of charge and it is something that can effect the idle of your bike. Also have you checked for vacuum leaks at the front intake manifold and rear air boot? I have seen a bike with a loose stator bolt and after the guy spent a ton of money on replacing everything on his bike it was the one thing no one ever thought to check for a probelm idling.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #11

Re: still wont idle correctly

Quote:
.....any thoughts on where to start this whole process again?....where should the fuel air mix be from factory? any help always appreciated
Well, since we haven't brought this one up...
Go back to the idle jet adjustment.
Watch this video:
...makes more sense by hearing/watching the explanation and he gives all the advice and does it exactly how I do the check.
Possibly there may be an air leak that comes on when the bike warms up. Ride it to get it warm and check for leaks with the old WD40 squirt.
Good luck.
Bill R