Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #16

A few updates. First, I finally got my papers from powersports max, and they were filled out wrong. First of all, instead of notarizing the MCO, they included a notarized sheet of paper with the titles, and on the odometer disclosure they signed twice and didn't print their name. I took the papers to the notary (Where we go for titling here in PA) and they said they could send it to Harrisburg and see what they say, but they likely would just send the paperwork back. I have yet another ticket in to PSM insisting they send my the correct papers, we'll see how that goes. The worst part is that on the MCO it has a section that says essentially "Notarize here", Flipping morons.

I did take (Or attempted to take) the Lancer around the block. Unfortunatly, the dang thing doesn't want to idle, I was able pull it up the driveway, and as soon as I let up on the throttle, it stalled. Pulled the seat bucket, and adjusted the throttle up, after about a half hour of tweaking I could ride it, for a little bit but then it will randomly stall out after a couple of minutes riding. I just can't to seem to get a steady idle, it's either too high and try to take off with out throttle or too low and ends up stalling out. For the record, I was shooting for around 1800rpm, and even when I'd get it stabilized at that number, it would still stall out after a little riding.

Really have a string of frustrating days, so pardon my venting.

Old 03-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #17

Did a little more playing with the idle and got it to the point that it was stable sitting on the stand. So I for my gear and tried it out again. I put about 2.4 KM (or a mile and a half) and had no stalling issues. To me it seems the idle should be a bit lower, but it works as is so I'm not going to complain.

I really need to get this thing legal ASAP. Part of my frustrations this week is that I got into an accident in my commuter car, which was deemed my fault. A guy was merging on to the highway ahead of me, so when he started going I looked back to find my gap. I found one, and went for it, and as I looked forward again I saw that he had decided to stop and I hit him in the left rear corner. This is my first at fault accident in 20 years, and since I haven't had any accidents I set the deductible to $2500.

So up until the accident, I had planned to sell a truck I have that I don't use, and get a small car for my wife to use to take our son to his doctors appointments, now that money is going to have to go to paying off the deductible. Which means my wife will need the Fiesta to get to the doctors appointments 2-3 days a week, and I'll either have to use the Excursion for my 36 mile commute (Tried that, it costs around $90 a week in gas!) or get this scooter on the road and spend $5 a week.

The sad thing is I have 5 vehicles right now and all of them have one thing going wrong or another. The Durango has three transmission codes, so that's on CL for essentially trade in value. The Dakota is in decent shape, but needs shackles and shocks to pass inspection, I tried to tackle that today, and all the fasteners are frozen, so I'll need to have a shop take car of that. The Fiesta is crumpled and goes to the body shop on Monday, and the Excursion goes through gas like I go through beer . Then there's the scooter and the bashan which both need titled and plated.

Hopefully things get better soon.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 PM   #18

A little update. I got a hold of PSM about the notary issue and they emailed me saying to call them. My wife gave them a ring and after being hung up on 6 times, they told her they would not reissue the MCOs without documentation that the title itself needs to be notarized. They also insist that the old MCOs need to be returned to them (At my expense, of course). The problem is in PA the title process has to go through a notary, and then sent to Harrisburg for approval, so I have to pay for all the fees and wait ten days to see if Harrisburg will approve it or not before I can send it back to them.

I'm definitely not going thorough PSM again, this is the absolute worst experience I've had with a company ever. I also won't be able to ride for a while since I just had the bulk of my teeth knocked out today due to genetic issues with my jaw. So it's really been a bad week for me.

Old 04-01-2017, 12:06 AM   #19

Holy cow! Phager76
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 04-03-2017, 12:23 AM   #20

Sorry to read about all the issues with your health and your bikes!! I love how PSM has screwed yet another member over!!!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #21

Update time.

Last week, PSM resent the MCOs properly nortarized, so small kudos to them. I still haven't titled them, since money is super tight. The Fiesta is taking another week to finish, so I'm on the hook for another week of rental car. I've had a ton of ups and downs with the whole dentures thing. I'm slowly adjusting to the new teeth, but I have another month until I can get my partials so for now I have no molars on the bottom, At least I'm finally back to eating some real food, probably no steaks for a while, but stuffed manicoti for dinner is going to be a whole lot better then soup! Last Friday, I developed an infection which laid me out for the whole weekend, but things are going pretty good for now,

On to the more important stuff! Rhiannon's gotten a lot more comfortable riding after getting freaked out by her siblings being out at the same time she was riding (She stayed off the bike for two weeks after that) I finally pushed her to go out yesterday and try riding again, she was super tentative at first, basically just walking it around at idle, but after about 20 minutes she started riding in earnest, and really took to it. About two hours in she said the younger kids could come out and play while she was riding!

Today, she wanted to try out the helmet camera, so we hooked it up and away she went. It did fall off a couple of times, so I need to reapply the double sided tape to her helmet, but the camera held up well. Here's a couple of videos from today:

Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 PM   #22

Another pretty big update. I'll let the picture do the talking:

After 2 MCOs, much griping from the notary office, and a two plus week wait time, the Lancer is finally legal for the road. It didn't get to the notary until 7:45 this evening, so no time to take her on the road, but after work tomorrow it'll be time for a short break in ride.

Rhiannon's managed to plow through a tank of gas, so it's just about time for the next oil change on that, probably this weekend. I'm hoping to get my bike legs back over the rest of this week and hopefully start using the Lancer for some commuting next week, we'll see where my confidence is, I'm not going to push it too much since I've been off bikes other then short rides around the neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #23

Since a just put up a separate complaining post about fueling issues. I figured I should post some good happy stuff in this thread.

I've now put about 30-35 miles on the Lancer so far, the bulk of those occurring yesterday. At first I was a little disappointed, this being SW PA, there's plenty of hills around here and my mile long test loop includes a curvy 1.5 lane road that climbs a kind of steep hill. Going up it, the best I was able to do was about 25-30 mph. Once it flattened out, it got up to about 40 before I backed off due to the speed limit (30). My concern is part of my commute has a steep climb about a mile long that's a 45 zone, and I'm not sure it's going to sustain that, Fortunately, it is 2 lanes on the uphill side, and one on the downhill side, so people can pass me.

After that ride on Wednesday, the rain came in and didn't let up til yesterday. Since it was mother's day, and the two of the kids were at church with their aunt, I took my wife out to the local HS 3 miles away with range cards from the BRC and a bunch of flat cones, and let her get some practice riding the scooter, since it will be hers someday. In the video below, I set up a fast stop, followed by and wide u turn leading to a pause and go, then an oval to the right and back in to the pause and go and back to the starting line. Sure, she put her foot down at the pause and go once, and she over shot the fast stop mark, But she had a ton of fun and got a lot more comfortable with the scooter and really boosted her self confidence and self esteem. She enjoyed it so much she asked if we could do it every other Sunday! The key for me, was not being judgmental, and just explaining what the rider coach's were wanting to see, and when she did something wrong, and I had done the same thing, to tell her "Yeah, I screwed that up a lot too!"

After that I took the scooter out on an 12 mile loop on some back roads around here, the wind had picked up some, and I got hit with some ~20 mph side gusts, let me tell you, as a newish rider that made for some interesting times, but I stayed in my lane and didn't panic, and it all worked out.

I'm learning that short rides of less then a mile are really a bad idea for me at this point in my relearning to ride. I'm nervous and tense for at least a half mile to a mile, so it's not that much fun, after that though as long as I don't have someone tailgating me, I loosen up and the smile just grows on my face. I'm slowly increasing my range, I've got a 14 mile round trip planned for Friday, for my eldest's girl scout bridging ceremony/year end party, and about a 20 mile RT on Saturday to a local park.

Next week I'll be commuting for the first time (Unless I try it before then) since my wife needs the commuter to take my son to an appointment at Children's Hospital, so it's either the scooter or the Excursion. As long as no more issues pop up with the lancer, my choice is clear!