Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 03:08 PM   #1

Engine run-in speed 5000 RPM max...

5000rpm is pretty low for such a small, high revving engine in the RX3. That's 500 miles of 45mph or less travel... not to mention a lot of down shifting, and crawling up the hills in VT (with my fat butt). Are these motors really that delicate?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:23 PM   #2

I decided with my hawk that I would take the route of not babying it. there are two camps when it comes to breakin. those that go by the book and those who say to ride it like you will be riding it in the real world. I took the ride-it-like-you-stole-it approach....but used some discretion. mine is doing fine at 1000 miles now.

BTW...these motors do take some time to break in, in terms of power and such. for about the first 500 miles it just seemed like they got better and better.

I'd say don't worry too much about babying it, but don't flog the crap out of it either.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

I think it's good to follow the guideline for 100 miles.
Then run it like you stole it.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:51 PM   #4

If you break it in reasonably by the book then I've found my RX3 to be dead reliable and never left me on the side of the road.
I think at least one other owner road it down the highway ignoring the breakin period to keep up with traffic and toasted his motor before 500 miles? They do seem to settle in and run smoother , better after 1000 miles of reasonable break in. These motors being water cooled and EPA certified are build to tighter tolerances then the older 70's bikes we grew up with so they need a little love for the first several hundred miles .
Now mine will go all day long 65-70mph at 7500-8000rpm happily with 12,000 miles on it's ticker. rj

Old 02-28-2017, 05:29 AM   #5

Yeah... I'll be keeping it easy until I hit 100 miles and change the oil. A 4 mile stretch of 50mph highway isn't much to ask until 500, though. Lol.

My work commute is about 10 miles one way of varied terrain. So far (80 miles) I'm very happy with this bike... Can wait for warmer weather!

Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

As an aside....the TT250 (air cooled Zongshen 230cc engine) owners manual has that same 5K rpm limit for the first 500 miles. The bike does not have a tach. I take that to mean 5K was pretty arbitrary and what it really says is to be sensible in those first 500 miles, don't hit redline in every gear or stay WOT for miles and miles. Full throttle in gears 2-5, then coast down with engine braking, repeat...let the engine cool....do it again. This seats the rings. The other parts will mate with normal operation. Most break in is done in the first few hundred miles. Note that modern high performance automobiles don't even have a break in warning except for brakes. I guess that reflects higher manufacturing tolerances.

Peter Y.