Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

....new to forum with special needs Zongshen 250GS

Hey folks, I'm really excited to find this site, hoping I can get some tips/ clues/ help/ hope in dealing with my ZS 250GS it's been my bane for going on 5 years now and one of my biggest personal investment regrets. Locally there is nobody who will touch this bike, the few people I have attempted to have work on it have either ripped me off or just shrugged their shoulders and advised me to find someone else. On top of all of this I have no way to get it to anyone but I am, however, very technical minded and well versed on the inner workings of at least an idea of how this bike works. I'm including some pics in my introduction, any info is greatly appreciated, I'll do an item specific post at a later date but initially, my issue is not getting a spark on it....battery is brand new and fully charged, spark plug is brand new. Bike has roughly 5000 miles on it, Thanks in advance....Cheers.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:57 AM   #2

Welcome. Doc has been intimate with one of those bikes.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:29 AM   #3

Welcome!

The device in the first pic is the ignition coil, and that's how they're all assembled. Remove the plug wire from the coil and plug cap and test it for continuity. Check your cap for an impedance value; I'm guessing about 5K Ohms. Disconnect the two wires from the primary side of the coil and connect a test light to them; the test light should flash upon cranking the engine.

Beyond that, please start a new thread in the Street forum to gain more exposure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 09-26-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

This is a problematic model, unlike the 200cc Zong which is very reliable.

The stator and CDI are common failure points in this bikes ignition system. Even with both working will the spark is weak. :?

I'd recommend a new CDI to start with. They are cheap and you'll need a spare in the future anyway. The usually fail with time and are important in the troubleshooting of motorcycle, especially Chinese, engines.

If that does not fix it replace the stator and gasket.

Parts are available (slowly and with aggravation) from the Zongshen warehouse in Miami. The guy who heads up that department is (was?) Manny. Check the website.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #5

Thank you so much guys...I'll start a new thread.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:52 AM   #6

Welcome; you came to the right place! We are glad you joined us.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894