Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
One question though, how hard would it be for an American to fly to the East, buy a bike, and try to ride a quest like yours and how much of a language barrier would I encounter???
If you email Daniel Montejo through his website, he might be able to give you some idea, too. He had mentioned that he had arranged a trip last year some time for a few tourists, and seemed like he was willing to do this type of thing as a side business.

(Not trying to step on your toes, Carl, if you are doing the same, or planning to do the same--let me know and I will delete this post/link)

http://www.danielmontejo.com/

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM   #17

Re: Two-up on a Jialing 150 looking for Gonga Mountain-China

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune
Your thread is just too good to allow to go away!
Nah, it just means people need to constantly be improving and posting their trip reports! That's the name of the game isn't it?

CC

"The Return - Riding Western China" movie site:
http://www.motocyclops.com

Old 01-08-2008, 06:52 PM   #18

Quote:
(Not trying to step on your toes, Carl, if you are doing the same, or planning to do the same--let me know and I will delete this post/link)
While someone could make a few extra dimes doing that, it's not my business and I'll probably stay away from it because it's illegal....not that it can't work though. No worries, Daniel can run anything he wants.

As for me, I still got bills to pay. Right now the only business I got is my DVD...which ain't easy cuz' motorcyclists are some of the cheapest bastid's around.

Will continue the TR very soon. Just got up, it's 8am now. Where's my coffee?

CC

Old 01-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
...which ain't easy cuz' motorcyclists are some of the cheapest bastid's around.

CC
That's why we're into the Chinese bikes, here, LOL!!

Really, I should have the $$ to order your DVD by the 18th...

(...check's in the mail... )

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 01-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #20

Part II - Get thee to a Monastery...

We never made it to Tagong and instead stayed the first night in Xinduqiao as Zach's SO was apparently in dire need of a shower. About 40kms from the town, the ubiquitous engine noise once again erupted to new life. Getting off to inspect the problem, I noticed that this time the nut I had tightened was apparently too tight and snapped the threaded stud coming out of the head now completely disconnecting the pipe from the engine.

Blurting our way into town, Zach went to find some lodging and I went
immediately to a repair shop. All of them were closed. Whelp looks like an
early morning tomorrow, I'm sure these guys open up early right? It's tourist season.

Meeting up with Zach he informs us that all the guest houses with the showers were already booked and were asking ridiculous prices per night. I understand that dealing in tourism means dealing with highly season business traffic but wow! When they turn on the tourist pricing they really turn it on good! Places which would normally cost about 40 yuan or would go for over 300! With the five percent drop in the US dollar, I can say that you do feel more pinch than before.

The cold rain began. Xinduqiao, now mostly guesthouses, was swamped with travelers; some motorcycle groups but mostly cars, SUV's and busses. Guesthouses were taking their pick and those situated in the southern side of the town near the road junction must have made out like bandits. Together we asked and inspected 8 or 9 places and many of the few available accommodations lacked shower facilities, forget about having one attached to your room. We finally decided on a place with a hot water shower outside the building.

That chilly night as I was suited off and organizing things in our room, all the crappy food I overate the night before decided to lodge a complaint...and fast. Faster than any other bad guts I had had before. Spam, fish stuff and instant noodles from earthy bowls, run up to high altitude then shaken, not stirred, by about 90kms of dirt road, gave up the ghost and was wanted out, now.

It was sudden and determined at the same time. All at once the Jane's Addiction line "COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAAAINNNN!" shot into my head. Doing my best to hold my shit together - literally - I pinched my ass as hard as I could and ran out the door like Redd Fox going for Liz'beth. It's amazing how motivated I suddenly became. Another person was waiting outside the bathroom; which incidentally was the only shower stall. I really don't like to cut in front of people in line but I qualified this as an emergency.

Luckily WenLing was inside. I knocked on the door and said "Yeah it's me. I REALLY need to get in." "Okay hold on a minute." Shaking and twitching like a jumping bean I replied: "I mean like NOW." She opened the door, I went right in and the rest doesn't need to be described. Suffice it to say...I didn't make it. Good thing this place has a shower, I felt better afterwards anyway. On the bright side of things, that cleared plenty of room for dinner at a proper restaurant, a package of crackers and the liter of water I was sure to consume that evening.

Fresh, bright and early the next morning, I got up alone and at eight went to see about getting the exhaust fixed but the doors at the repair shop were still closed until after nine when some finally showed up. I showed them what was wrong and they said it shouldn't be a problem. Hopeful, I forgot the number one rule of experiencing China: don't believe anything is going to happen, until it does. Sometimes, unless you make it happen through dogged, even sometime loud persistence, it wont.

One thing turned into another. They tried to file the broken stud down and
reverse drill it. That didn't work. Then they tried to weld a bolt to it and
twist it off - and that only succeeded in destroying what was left of the stud. Two hours later the head was off the engine and two people were trying to extract the broken stud having zero success. Although more expensive, I realized it was better if I just paid for a new head, about 10 USD, and got back on the road. This decision led to another half-hour of trying different heads on the engine as they had apparently taken some out of their boxes and not replaced them correctly. I felt bad that I was holding everyone up with this nonsense but after noon we were ready to go again with an attached exhaust, new head and valves - total about 40USD.

Back on the road I forgot about the bike problems, extra money and unexpected repairs. Riding through these grasslands surrounded by high snow-capped mountains is enough to make you forget about lots of troublesome worries. Gentle essing roads wind through the green hills dotted with nomads, hitchhikers and happy people on holiday enjoying clean air and open horizons.

We arrived at a town called Tagong which was once a Tibetan trading village and is now known for its famous Tibetan horse races. Four years ago this place looked completely different. Now, brand new guest houses and shops line the newly paved main street which was once nothing but rutted dirt and rocks. With this naturally came gridlock on the main street. Cars, trucks and busses were locked up and out the northern side was a two kilometer traffic jam leading into town. I couldn't believe it. We were in the middle of nowhere and there's a traffic jam. Again, being on a small bike proved handy in weaving the obstacle of bumpers.

- Yala Snow Mountain -

To get past one section of the jam, we rode onto the grass and up to a popular old monastery seen in the background of the picture below. I quite fancied a stop to appreciate the madness and snap a panoramic of Yala Snow Mountain. A curious Tibetan woman greeted us and wanted a try at the camera. It was nice to see she went for the optical viewfinder and didn't stare at the back of the lcd screen. I zoomed the 18-50 while she was looking though it and she said "Oooooo." I'm not really sure what that meant but it didn't sound bad so that's good.

- Camera fun -

(WLP)

And it's not really a trip report unless someone takes a territorial pee break.

It was time and a nice spot to take a short, relieving break. Nice beautiful view and a sold 15 meter drop right in front of me. Wind direction, check. Fly clearance - check. Good to go!

-T minus... -

(WLP)

Oh yeah! That's a relief! While enjoying the moment I noticed a spot further down which looked like a couple walking around a bike. I'm not sure if they saw me or not but I didn't mean to pee in their general direction. Zipped up and ready for more water, we coasted down the switchback and check to make sure the couple down below was okay. No worries, they were just doing the same thing as us!

Garther monastary was less than 100kms away and my eyes started to tear...and not the emotional kind. Very shortly after, my nose began to run but I figured that was all effects of the cold air. Wrong. I wasn't cold air, but a cold. I was starting to get chills and riding became more uncomfortable with all the pressure in my helmet. We wanted to make it to Garther monastery that night. Monasteries often put up travelers and Garther was no exception.

- Garther Monastery and main courtyard -

A few minutes after pulling into the gates a young monk greeted us and offered to show us around. We said we were also looking for a place to stay. He said that shouldn't be a problem and suggested we first store the bikes. He led us to a nice tractor adjacent spot, where we began unloading.

- Imagine the conversations they'd have -

Before too long another monk showed up who looked to be the man in charge of the lodging.

"How much for a person?" We asked the "monk" in the Terminator sunglasses.
"40 a person."
"Okay, how about food."
"No food."
"Well we have to eat right?"
"You can buy the materials from us but you have to make it yourself."
"What? Okay."

Since my head was ready to explode and I had been here before, I laid down to rest while others explored the beautiful grounds for a while.

- Dormatories and Lamas to be -

(WLP)

Looking out the window I could see the sun was setting and knew some golden light was about to arrive and quickly disappear. Having only had a short rest I still felt much better and decided to tighten up my boot straps, blow my nose and prepare to head out for some pictures.

- Temple Deluxe -

Walking around, I noticed a new five story temple being built behind the old
one. The old temple's interior was in quite good shape and made me wonder why they needed a new one. Over only the past few years this place has clearly become more tourist oriented. There was once a huge hand written scroll inside which told the story of the temple in both Chinese in English. It told a classic tale of an early Dalai Lama being carried here by his mother who told him to construct this temple and then it's successive destruction and rebuilding over the past 200 years.

- A picture of that hanging four years ago -

- The Reflective Zach -

Downstairs I caught Zach on the front steps contemplating the day. He looked at peace with himself so I continued inside to visit their room of ashes.

All of the rooms, including our guest rooms, were elaborately decorated in carvings and paintings like the one shown below. Even in it's newness, endless trails of animals and stories hand painted on the walls still tease the senses with craftsmanship, color and detail. Behind the many small windows which line three sides of the wall, are small paper folders - each with the ashen remains of past monks.

- Dem' Crazy Bones -

Moving on up to the roof, sunset lighting cast the temples shadow across the courtyard. The rich blue sky, puffy clouds, green grass and strong red walls of the dormitories screamed 10-20mm lens. Now, it's all waiting.

- Whhyyyyyde -

- Last slivers of Sun -

-Shooting the slivers -

(WLP)

The sun set behind the temple and darkness would fall fast. Ready to lay down again, I returned to the guestrooms to find Zach and his girl friend already making dinner by flash light in the kitchen using a full size wok!

- Go team! HACHOOO! -

I tell you there was some sizzle going off that thing and the food was good. A grounds keeper was keeping them company while helping them find the tools and food. The odd thing is that the grounds keeper looked like he was hungry so we shared our meal with him. I wondered when and where he was supposed to eat dinner.

That night was absolutely miserable. I worried about not being able to ride
tomorrow. Maybe Zach could just go on ahead? I wouldn't want them to wait for me. Am I ruining this experience for WenLing, on her first trip? Then my body spoke to me. My bones ached and despite having a clear fever, had severe chills. My nose ran into forests worth of tissues that ended up making their own Gonga-Shan of snot and paper next to my bed. We turned out head-lamps at ten but I didn't get more than 2 or 3 hours of sleep. My eyes watered so badly that when I squinted I got that earthquake rumbling sound in my head. You know...the sound you get when you make tight fists and stick your thumbs in your ears. Yeah, it was that kind of night. All night I sweat while my body fevered and burned the sickness away.

Away!

Final Part: The next morning and unspoken goals home

Old 01-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #21

Quote:

That's why we're into the Chinese bikes, here, LOL!!

Really, I should have the $$ to order your DVD by the 18th...

(...check's in the mail... )
No worries man, take care of bills and stuff first. Then if you got a little extra to support the cause then that's super cool and much appreciated. Thanks already for your ideas and attentiveness to the China moto-market.

We all'z need to eat. Eat first!

CC

Old 01-10-2008, 02:09 AM   #22

Part III - A long ride home

The next morning, to my surprise, I could breath and see again! In one night the fever had run its course and, despite lack of sleep, felt energized. You never appreciate the value of good health until you've just been horribly ill. I also appreciated this turn of luck because we were already a bit behind schedule and this day's ride would prove to be long and difficult.

- The ladies back out on the road -

Leaving Garther Monastery we had decided to ride without a determined
destination that day and see how we felt. To be honest though, I think both Zach and I knew we had to make some distance back to Chengdu - from Garther to Chengdu, over 470Kms.

- Yala Snow mountain from the north side -

That's 470kms of passes, mountains, valleys, rivers and roads that follow rivers to another and final 4550m pass, Balang pass, before descending the remaining 250km into the Chengdu basin of 400m/asl. Some may think that that's not a great distance to cover but at 60kph flat out it's like doing 470miles with a more powerful machine.

Stopping about half way through, I asked if everyone wanted to stay at ZhongLu a mountain top village I'm quite fond of. Only 2kms east of Danba is a small bridge which takes you straight up switchback to the top of the mountain. If you keep following the road you'll find a guesthouse where you can stay, eat good food, shower and explore an fantastic Tibetan village in the mountains. You've got watchtowers, fields of corn, barley and endless foot paths. If you go at the right season, around October, women who still wear traditional clothing will be out in the field bringing down the corn, chattering away while they work. Land of valuable photographic memories. Beautiful place. Great times.

- ZhongLu Village in October 2005 -

- Looking west off the mountain 2005, Danba is in the valley below -

Nobody seemed interested in my idea and, at that time, it became clear people wanted to get closer to home. I guess I could have gone either way but a good part of me also wanted to get some rest and take account of only 4 days riding in the familiarity of my own bed. We fired off towards Chengdu to see how far we could make it. Our goal was to sleep at home that night.

Continuing east, we eventually reached the climb for Balang pass. In the high mountains you can get snow year round, especially at passes which range from ~4,200 to 5,000m/asl, average being around 4,500. Freak snow storms can cause wicked twisted traffic jams up these winding roads.

- Clouds at the peaks -

(WLP)

As we climbed Balang pass, only a few hours away from Chendu, the weather turned from sunny green valleys to clouds, to rain, sleet, snow, then ice at the top. We passed a local rider on a green Kawasaki Ninja 400 sport bike. As soon as he started moving the bike, the rear tire went sideways. Totally useless. He would have to go back down and wait for tomorrow. This simple 1500cc dual sport was equipped with the best tires I could find in Chengdu and made a great difference biting into the snow...we puttered on by.

At the pass, cars and trucks packed the snow into a solid layer of ice. Snow and fog blocked visibility. A local rider on a cruiser stopped to wait for his friends still coming up the west side and told us the road was very dangerous ahead. He suggested we wait for a while.

"Why?", I asked.
"The sun will come up and melt the snow."

My watch read after three. Looking at the thick growing clouds, humid air,
falling temperatures and loss of daylight I knew that waiting up here would be dangerous. Spending a night stuck on top of this mountain would have been an extremely unpleasant experience...and that's if you had the equipment to survive it.

- Balang Pass: It's twistier than it looks here -

I told him I didn't think the snow was going to melt and that the sun is going down soon. We said we'll continue on and crept our way down the pass with an over 1000m drop to the side. Before we set off, it was nice of him to say he would carefully watch after us on the way down. All down the switchbacks various vehicles had slid into each other and some trucks jack-knifed. Here, unless the vehicle is brand new, many of the trucks, busses and cars run on bald tires. Things were moving all-whicha-ways. Larger vehicles were stuck not even being able to turn around. Take everything you ever learned about Chinese drivers and then add snow!

Much of the time WenLing had to walk though quite long sections of cars and was faster than the bike which becomes some weight to keep upright on packed now. Eventually we slipped through the traffic and continued down to about 3500m where the snow became a misty rain. Cars were still on their way up. I can't imagine!

- East side of Balang pass on a clear day in October 2003 -

The cold bare exposed rock of the pass gradually turned Alpine green trough the WoLong nature center. This area, by the way, is also a natural habitat for wild Pandas as well as a breeding center and research base. The last 40kms of this road is pretty nasty roadworks which becomes quite muddy and tricky when dealing with larger vehicular traffic. Ultimately it opens up to smooth sealed road and the new 40km long Dujiangyan Skyway which winds us back to the basin of Chengdu.

Through darkness and pelting rain we arrived back in Chengdu around 9PM after 12 hours of riding over 470kms, from 4500 to 400m, averaging a blazing 40kph, 2 up on a 150cc. This kind of travel is such a stark contrast to the Bandit1200 I came off in the US and it really made me appreciate the benefits and deficiencies of both. One thing is for sure, don't under-estimate yourself or your machine.

WenLing enjoyed the experience and is trying to get her motorcycle license. As for me, well...I'm still hungry. There's a whole world of people out there trying to do more with less. For some people it's a lifestyle choice, for other's it's an affordable way to get through the days. Either way, if you love what you do, don't be afraid to create something from it...and post it!

CC
-------

To supplement the read, I threw together a quick 2 minute video of clips taken from WenLing so you can get a very digitized idea of what the roads are like.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #23

You know, you could probably make a pretty cool book about riding in China by combining all your ride reports, tips on cool places to see, maps, and amazing photos

Then again, I can read the free version on China Riders

Your reports make me want to get out on my bike some more

Old 01-10-2008, 02:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
You know, you could probably make a pretty cool book about riding in China by combining all your ride reports, tips on cool places to see, maps, and amazing photos
Ya know I've thought about it but having just released the film my plate is rather full. Other projects in the works as well. Long road in fornt of me holmes....and a bumpy one at that! Time to get off my ass and on the pegs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Your reports make me want to get out on my bike some more
Well every day that goes by is one less day of riding. I suppose it just depends on the value that has at the moment. I've also been out of the touring saddle until recently and I still need to get out more. Spring will bring more opportunities!

CC

Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM   #25

I hope the dvd sells a lot of copies for you, I'm waiting on mine . If you do in the future do a book let us know

I think when spring comes around I will get more riding in, there's a whole lot of rain here now, but it is a good time to modify the bike

Old 01-11-2008, 12:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I think when spring comes around I will get more riding in, there's a whole lot of rain here now, but it is a good time to modify the bike
Hell yeah it is. Spinning wrenches is an important part of motorcycling and one of my favorite pass-times. You still riding the Lifan?

CC

Old 01-11-2008, 12:18 AM   #27

Yeah, the only reason I have it listed for sale is there is a new model Lifan I want to get, but I can't justify having two of em

Right now the Lifan is the only vehicle I have insured for the road.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:30 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Yeah, the only reason I have it listed for sale is there is a new model Lifan I want to get, but I can't justify having two of em

Right now the Lifan is the only vehicle I have insured for the road.
I never thought about the insurance costs of these bikes in the US. It must be pretty low yeah? Nice not to have a lean from a bank.

CC

Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 AM   #29

I'm actually in Canada, but I think it is around 350 for the entire year, but that is basic coverage only. Definetly a lot cheaper then my vulcan 800 though.

Old 01-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I'm actually in Canada, but I think it is around 350 for the entire year, but that is basic coverage only. Definetly a lot cheaper then my vulcan 800 though.
I've heard the cost of motorcycle insurance in some provincs of Canada is unreasonably high...some pumped up hype about how dangerous they are.

When I had the 98 Bandit 1200 I paid about 350USD a year for basic which I viewed as not bad. I got a real bad taste in my mouth for insurance compainies in my early twenties when I owned a then new Honda Prelude. After a while I got so many stupid tickets that I had to pay over 400bucks a MONTH for insurance. That was more than the car payment!

Sold the Prelude, bought a $1,100 89' Acura Integra and a Bandit1200 with the money. Lowered my costs to 800 a year for two vehicles...three really with the 82' Magna.

Insurance - where we pay for something we hope to never have to use.

CC