Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2012, 02:45 AM   #16

Thanks for posting the ride report, and the great photographs, Weld! Both bikes look great, but I am particularly impressed with your TW200.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #17

Very impressive, Weld! Looking at all the beautiful ride reports on here makes me want to buy a couple of ds bikes. Last year the wife and I hardly rode our atvs. It was so dry all the trails were closed, even out west in the mountains. You couldn't even park on the side of the road without getting a ticket because of all the wild fires going on. We've been getting rain lately so hopefully this year they'll reopen

Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Thanks for posting the ride report, and the great photographs, Weld! Both bikes look great, but I am particularly impressed with your TW200.

Spud
Thanks Spud! That just shows how crummy my camera is, because we haven't even hosed off the bike that my Son is riding.

We need to get started on his four stroke project soon. We filled up yesterday after work and went for a 50km / 30 mile ride, and he used half a tank! That 250 two smoke is really thirsty, and it's still jetted too lean. 8O

My TW is coming along nicely, but I still have some noise to work out. Despite adjusting the cam chain twice, it still makes more noise that I care to hear (under load). I'm going to order two new comression springs and install them soon. Perhaps that will help.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Very impressive, Weld! Looking at all the beautiful ride reports on here makes me want to buy a couple of ds bikes. Last year the wife and I hardly rode our atvs. It was so dry all the trails were closed, even out west in the mountains. You couldn't even park on the side of the road without getting a ticket because of all the wild fires going on. We've been getting rain lately so hopefully this year they'll reopen
Thanks Jim! We lucked out with the bike that Son of Weldangrind is riding. We picked it up for a song and have only changed the oil and installed a new China carb. It had been stored in a garage for several years, so it was a time capsule. We're now going to take the time to go through it and maintain it properly.

I highly recommend DS bikes. We're getting a huge kick out of exploring the local area. Our small city is within a large country setting, and we have 359 square Km or 139 square miles to discover, without leaving the county limits.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #20

Been having some internet problems for a couple of days. Don't know if they're upgrading some systems or whats going on? Anyway, I've been thinking about selling our atvs and getting a couple of ds bikes but haven't talked myself into it yet. It took me a couple of years to finally find a couple of smaller 4x4 atvs I could afford so, I'm reluctant to part with them.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #21

Why not have both? Old DS bikes aren't that expensive, and you certainly know how to make 'em pretty.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #22

X2. I think you will probably experience seller's remorse if you sell your ATVs, Jim. :(

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #23

Thanks, weld. I do what I can. Those yamaha tw's are good bikes and not to tall in the saddle so that's what I would like to find. I sat on my nephew's tw and it's a good fit. Plus, I like the wider tires

No doubt, spud. Just thinking about parting with em brings on remorse. Around here it's hard to find the 250 to 300cc 4x4s. Most are 500 to 800cc and use alot more gas and even tho they don't really hold that much gas cost wize they still use alot of it. Shoot the ones we have will run most of a day on a little over a gallon. Even tho they aren't as nice and comfy as the big ones they're more fun since they don't cost as much and they'll go anywhere a big one will

Old 04-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #24

I would rather have a smaller lighter atv. Bigger is not always better.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #25

Absolutely, Kato. Especially if it gets on top of you

Old 04-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #26

My ATV is only a 250 2WD. Even it weighs almost 400 lbs fueled. I don't want a bigger one. The 250 can go places a more powerful heaver one can't.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW
Thanks, weld. I do what I can. Those yamaha tw's are good bikes and not to tall in the saddle so that's what I would like to find. I sat on my nephew's tw and it's a good fit. Plus, I like the wider tires
The TW's are great fun, but they're real money (usually). Since you're in the U.S. of A., you can find Zongs for cheap, and they're a close TW cousin. For that matter, you could likely find Q-Links for a decent price. Of course, the Honda clone bikes are typically the lowest priced, especially the older pushrod motors.

That said, I recall that you have a fondness for old Suzukis, and the TS bikes were available from 75cc to 400cc for several years. I believe that they're still in production for other countries, so parts are plentiful on eBay.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #28

I agree with Allen and Bill. A lighter ATV or motorcycle is better for off road riding.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #29

Jim has demonstrated a fine record for finding good deals on both ATVs and motorcycles. I'm sure you can find a good deal on a dual sport bike, Jim!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM   #30

I've seen some pretty good deals in the last several months. Mid to late 80s xl250 hondas in vg condition priced in the 1000.00 range. Pretty certain they could've been bought cheaper. Finding 2 in the same town at the same time has been the problem. Since my wife and, I enjoy the same things it would be a big plus if it worked out that way because the price of gas eats us up if we have to drive very far for one and there hasn't been anything local that, I've seen. I would prefer 4 strokers so that also adds to the problem of finding what, I'd like to have. About a month ago, I saw an 07 tw230 with 600mi the guy wanted 1650.00 for. Needless to say it sold within an hour of posting it. It's possible the china dealer in edmond has a couple of those hensim 250 ds bikes left over but the tall saddle has me concerned. In my youth the hieght wouldn't have mattered but it does now.