Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2015, 09:40 AM   #1

Snowbirding with China bike and quad

A couple pics from here near Quartzsite Az where I'm spending the winter. The Zongketa and Taotao are running great. Thought I might have to tow the Ranger back to camp after it died on the trail but we got it going again.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-05-2015 at 09:50 AM. Reason: wrong pic

Old 12-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #2

Thanks for posting the great photos from the sunny, warm Arizona.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 12-05-2015, 08:52 PM   #3

We're practically neighbors! I haven't ridden my TMEC 200 enduro for a few months since I got the TGB scooter (I need a battery for it), but I have been waiting for winter to take a run up the 95 to visit a friend in Havasu--if I go one of these weekends, I'll stop by. If you plan on coming to Yuma for whatever you guys up in Quartzite come to Yuma for, let me know!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 12-05-2015, 11:21 PM   #4

Looks like we're getting enough folks for an Arizona meet and greet.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 12-06-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

If any of you guys happen to be in the area, PM me so we can meet up. We'll be here most of the winter.

Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #6

Awesome pics Mudflap!

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 12-06-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

Looks nice and warm, I'm jelly!

Old 12-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICRider View Post
Looks nice and warm, I'm jelly!
Quartzite is about 80 miles north of me. While this part of AZ stays dry, it does get 'cold' here--of course, not snowdrift, icy-road cold, but my commutes in the morning, before sunrise are in the mid to low 40 degree F temperatures. Dry, but cold enough to often get numb fingers, and such.

The ironic thing is speaking with people who have transplanted themselves from the north or the midwest (i.e. Minnesota) permanently perhaps a year or two ago; they state that they feel colder on some days than from where they came from! The only explanation (no, not scientific) that we can deduce is that since the desert is dry most of the time, a 'dry' cold is apparently worse than a 'wet' or humid cold?

But, we have gotten this weather quite quickly. Literally, a little more than a month, it was over 100 F, then for a few weeks, it dropped to the 80's, and then the past 2 and a half weeks, low 40 F in the early morning up to the low to mid-60's F during the day. It 'feels' colder much earlier this time than in the past. But it will mellow out and we will have higher temps, I believe.

But as Mudflap's photos show--it is dry, and during the day, riding around is no problem.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Quartzite is about 80 miles north of me. While this part of AZ stays dry, it does get 'cold' here--of course, not snowdrift, icy-road cold, but my commutes in the morning, before sunrise are in the mid to low 40 degree F temperatures. Dry, but cold enough to often get numb fingers, and such.

The ironic thing is speaking with people who have transplanted themselves from the north or the midwest (i.e. Minnesota) permanently perhaps a year or two ago; they state that they feel colder on some days than from where they came from! The only explanation (no, not scientific) that we can deduce is that since the desert is dry most of the time, a 'dry' cold is apparently worse than a 'wet' or humid cold?

But, we have gotten this weather quite quickly. Literally, a little more than a month, it was over 100 F, then for a few weeks, it dropped to the 80's, and then the past 2 and a half weeks, low 40 F in the early morning up to the low to mid-60's F during the day. It 'feels' colder much earlier this time than in the past. But it will mellow out and we will have higher temps, I believe.

But as Mudflap's photos show--it is dry, and during the day, riding around is no problem.
as someone who grew up in the midwest, i think the dry cold is easier to deal with, as it isnt damp and doesnt chill you to the bone like a wet cold... its probably a mental game of feeling cold without snow on the ground makes you feel even colder or something....

i would take a dry cold over damp cold any day of the week (the same goes for heat too...)

Old 12-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #10

Beautiful pics, Mudflap; thanks for taking the time.

May we see a closer pic of the small pickup with the camper? It looks to be very well homemade, and I'm intrigued by the design.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

I've been to Quartzsite with the airplane in the summer. I'd rather be in Alberta in the winter LOL.

I think snowbirding is the smartest thing a non-Californian can do, and I'd love to join the movement when I retire. Thanks for sharing the excellent pics.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudflap View Post
If any of you guys happen to be in the area, PM me so we can meet up. We'll be here most of the winter.
I might take a trip up next weekend if you are around--however will probably be on my TGB scooter passing through to Havasu.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 12-08-2015, 05:27 PM   #13

The top came off a 64 Ford conversion van called a Travel Wagon. Made by Calthorp in England. It folds down flat by folding the half round parts with the windows inward causing the flexible steel top to slide forward over the truck cab. The solar panels fold down on top. Works great, no leaks, but no insulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Beautiful pics, Mudflap; thanks for taking the time.

May we see a closer pic of the small pickup with the camper? It looks to be very well homemade, and I'm intrigued by the design.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #14

We're at mile marker 3 on Plamosa Rd off Hwy 95, so not to far out of your way. About 100 yards north of Plamosa Rd. Stop by if you can. Phone is 541-647-nine eight four six.

BTW I got a ride in a Slingshot that my friend bought last year. Very cool. Registered as a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
I might take a trip up next weekend if you are around--however will probably be on my TGB scooter passing through to Havasu.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:29 PM   #15

I just found out that I am going to Phoenix this weekend :( The next weekend I am off to L.A. for Christmas, but once all the hassle of the holiday season is over, I definitely have 'me' time planned. Actually thinking of getting a new battery for the TMEC and riding that instead of the scooter. It has been sitting for a while now...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150