Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2024, 11:15 AM   #1

Nibbi yellow coil ???

My Hawk has pretty close to 4,000 miles on it now, and has been a great bike. I have the motor modded , and it makes very noticeably more power than it did stock. I am pleased with it, and other than the fact that it's not very fuel efficient for a small bike, I can't complain.
Certain questions I don't ask in the Facebook groups, and this is one. Would it make sense to go ahead, and install one of the Nibbi hot coils?
People on the Facebook groups talk these coils up a lot, and claim better starts, and gas mileage, as well as better power. What are your thoughts? Any benefits of replacing my working stock coil? My motor has a 4 degree ignition advance key, and long duration cam, and home ported head,and is a 70 mm bore. It always starts easy, although it doesn't idle very well till warmed completely up. Thanks

Old 05-01-2024, 11:20 AM   #2

It could be an improvement over stock. I went a step farther on my Hawk. I did a coil on plug conversation. Good improvement over stock coil.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-01-2024, 11:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
My Hawk has pretty close to 4,000 miles on it now, and has been a great bike. I have the motor modded , and it makes very noticeably more power than it did stock. I am pleased with it, and other than the fact that it's not very fuel efficient for a small bike, I can't complain.
Certain questions I don't ask in the Facebook groups, and this is one. Would it make sense to go ahead, and install one of the Nibbi hot coils?
People on the Facebook groups talk these coils up a lot, and claim better starts, and gas mileage, as well as better power. What are your thoughts? Any benefits of replacing my working stock coil? My motor has a 4 degree ignition advance key, and long duration cam, and home ported head,and is a 70 mm bore. It always starts easy, although it doesn't idle very well till warmed completely up. Thanks
I've been looking at them too. The general opinion in the Fakebook Hawk groups is that this Nibbi coil is a worthy upgrade over the stock. I might get one and just save it. Mine seems to be working fine and I can't imagine it being much better. But then again. what do I know?

Old 05-01-2024, 01:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
It could be an improvement over stock. I went a step farther on my Hawk. I did a coil on plug conversation. Good improvement over stock coil.
This sounds interesting. What's involved?

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 05-01-2024, 02:13 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Bill Hilly;407743]My Hawk has pretty close to 4,000 miles on it now, and has been a great bike. I have the motor modded , and it makes very noticeably more power than it did stock. I am pleased with it, and other than the fact that it's not very fuel efficient for a small bike, I can't complain. QUOTE]

Hi Bill, if you can’t complain then it seems like everything is going good on your bike! I would leave it as is. I just changed a sprocket on my Storm 150 DLX up 2 t and didn’t even need to install the new chain I bought for a just in case. So I can’t complain about that either. My thought is I’m going to use the new before replacing with the better if it is better. My thoughts…

Old 05-01-2024, 02:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
This sounds interesting. What's involved?
Here's the thread. https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=21066
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-01-2024, 06:07 PM   #7

I used the black one, but it's the same coil. Yes, definitely an improvement, especially if you run a wider plug gap like the .9mm pregapped iridium.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-01-2024, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I used the black one, but it's the same coil. Yes, definitely an improvement, especially if you run a wider plug gap like the .9mm pregapped iridium.
I bought the black Nibbi for my TBR7 last year , because I had developed a miss, that I think was either mud up on the connection terminal of the stock coil, or a bad ground. I had it fixed, and working, but still installed the new coil. I didn't know it was the same as the yellow one. I just bought it because it was a good bit cheaper. When I say I can't complain, I mean the Hawk runs really good, other than the fact that it is a bit more pain in the neck to warm up. It fires right up after sitting for days. Just choke it and as soon as it cranks it starts, but when I push the choke ( enrichment) back down, it is way choppier , and rougher than it was before I did the motor. It just seems like it takes more time before it runs smoothly at idle now, as compared to before I did the motor. After it's warmed up and has been ran , it's fine, other than sometimes if am at a light, and it's been idling , it will die at the first touch of throttle, like it suddenly starved for gas, but it starts right up again. Also when I say it runs good, and has good power for what it is, and for my weight, I really don't know if it could be better with a hotter coil, and a wider plug gap. None of my CG bikes were really efficient on gas for their displacement, but the Hawk has really been getting it's share of gasoline. A lot of it is probably the fact that I run it more on fast roads, but compared to the KPX, it gulps the gas. I don't know if a hotter coil would improve fuel economy. I guess I will order one though.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I bought the black Nibbi for my TBR7 last year , because I had developed a miss, that I think was either mud up on the connection terminal of the stock coil, or a bad ground. I had it fixed, and working, but still installed the new coil. I didn't know it was the same as the yellow one. I just bought it because it was a good bit cheaper. When I say I can't complain, I mean the Hawk runs really good, other than the fact that it is a bit more pain in the neck to warm up. It fires right up after sitting for days. Just choke it and as soon as it cranks it starts, but when I push the choke ( enrichment) back down, it is way choppier , and rougher than it was before I did the motor. It just seems like it takes more time before it runs smoothly at idle now, as compared to before I did the motor. After it's warmed up and has been ran , it's fine, other than sometimes if am at a light, and it's been idling , it will die at the first touch of throttle, like it suddenly starved for gas, but it starts right up again. Also when I say it runs good, and has good power for what it is, and for my weight, I really don't know if it could be better with a hotter coil, and a wider plug gap. None of my CG bikes were really efficient on gas for their displacement, but the Hawk has really been getting it's share of gasoline. A lot of it is probably the fact that I run it more on fast roads, but compared to the KPX, it gulps the gas. I don't know if a hotter coil would improve fuel economy. I guess I will order one though.
There are 2 black Nibbi coils. One is 40k Volts, the other is 45k Volts and it has a different ground that requires a little wiring change to make work, which is the one I have. The Yellow coil has a similar output, but the same style of wiring as the Hawk which means it is more or less a direct bolt on, which is why most people use it.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-01-2024, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
There are 2 black Nibbi coils. One is 40k Volts, the other is 45k Volts and it has a different ground that requires a little wiring change to make work, which is the one I have. The Yellow coil has a similar output, but the same style of wiring as the Hawk which means it is more or less a direct bolt on, which is why most people use it.
I didn't know it at the time, but I evidently ordered the hotter of the black ones. I was going to return it, because there was an extra terminal on it, and you told me to hook a ground to it, and it worked just fine. I ordered the yellow one this time, because AliExpress gave me a 49 percent discount for using what they call ""coins", which are just points you get everytime you open the app. I got it for about $12.00 shipped, and it is supposed to arrive between the 8th and 15th of May .
https://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=33203