Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #1

Oil spinner maintenance

hey, I just did the first oil change on my Hellcat with about 300 miles on it. Actually its the second oil change if you count the initial oil change when I first bought it. I was surprised to see it came with a magnetic oil plug. There was some gunk around it, nothing unusual, probably mostly clutch material, but I was wondering about how often you should take the clutch cover off and clean the screen and oil spinner.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #2

Most never get cleaned over the life of the bike. Once every couple years or every 10,000 miles should be enough.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:00 AM   #3

I read somewhere that you need to clean it each time you replace the clucth plates, it must come off to do clutch anyways

Old 11-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #4

I like to clean stuff, so I'd probably do it once a year. If you coat both sides of the gasket with a thin film of grease, it will likely be reusable and not leak. I learned that trick from a gentleman on the TS forum a few years ago.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-29-2018, 01:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
hey, I just did the first oil change on my Hellcat with about 300 miles on it. Actually its the second oil change if you count the initial oil change when I first bought it. I was surprised to see it came with a magnetic oil plug. There was some gunk around it, nothing unusual, probably mostly clutch material, but I was wondering about how often you should take the clutch cover off and clean the screen and oil spinner.
It would be nice to clean it at 1000 miles, or, because the Hawk odometer reads in kms, might as well go to 2000 kms. That's about 1200 miles. Clean it out over something like a coffee paper filter, so you can see what's in there. If there isn't much metal in it, I'd say you're good to go...ARH

Old 11-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Red Hunter View Post
It would be nice to clean it at 1000 miles, or, because the Hawk odometer reads in kms, might as well go to 2000 kms. That's about 1200 miles. Clean it out over something like a coffee paper filter, so you can see what's in there. If there isn't much metal in it, I'd say you're good to go...ARH
You should be able to change to MILES - press and hold reset button then turn on the bike n fiddle with it

Old 11-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

I did my old Hondas once a year when I did my spring maintenance and once over. They were all ATVs or dirt bikes so no miles to go by. They got ridden a few weekends a month except Dec., Jan., Feb.