Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2016, 09:54 PM   #1

New bike has shipped, prep and Farkles

I'm so excited that I got a message from Sara that my RX3 has shipped. Can't wait for tracking to kick in so I know when it will arrive. Since the time of my order I've been reading and researching what I should do to the bike when it arrives and what i should put on it. This forum has been AMAZING for it's great content and tutorials. I wanted to toss out a list of what I'm planning on doing and adding and see if there are any other suggestions from the group.

First, the bike is the Orange RX3 and from CSC I'm having them ship the center stand, hand guards, better front brake pad, 6 pack of oil filters, spare front and rear tubes, oil drain plug kit, a couple of aux light mounting brackets, skid plate, master cylinder cover, front and rear caliper covers, radiator covers, 13t front sprocket, 45t rear, spare chain, spare master link, spare clutch and brake levers and foot controls levers, spare clutch and throttle cables and a goodie bag of common clips, nuts and bolts. I'm going to install all the extras.

Then from a few other sources I ordered a trickle charger, slime auto pump, slime sealant, handlebar mount USB power plugs, LED headlight bulb, Offroad spot lights, iPhone handlebar mount, iPhone cable, portable jump starter, Shinko 244 tires, SpeedoDRD, Tank Protector, Reflective Tape, Hyper-Lite brake lights and built up a tool kit with tire gauge, tire levers, fuses, locktite, cable lube kit, rim protectors, instant weld, chain lube, air filter cleaner kit, bike cleaner, brake cleaner, spoke wrench, 2 part JB weld, JB water weld, tire changing station, wheel balancer, tire paste, wheel weights, gorilla duct tape, electrical tape, silicone tape, feeler gauges, chain tool kit, valve core remover, socket set, crescent wrench, locking pliers, hex set, multi-screwdriver, bailing wire, zip ties, utility knife, mini tool, rag, scissors, flashlight, pliers, WD-40, long socket extensions, patch kit, tow strap, super glue, paracord. All the tools fit in a tool roll-up that will travel on the bike with me. I also put together a nice first aid kit with all the normal stuff that comes in one but also added a splint kit and a few other things like sting pads and ibuprofen.

Now, once the bike arrives I have a list of things I want to do to it up front. These include starting by painting the skid plate with truck bed liner paint in black as I want most of the bike black or orange. Install handguards, Install SpeedoDRD, Install LED Headlight bulb, Install AUX spot lights, Install trickle charger cable, install USB power unit, install iPhone mount, Install windshield, install centerstand, verify fluid levels (oil and radiator), set clock, go through and pull as many bolts and such and locktite them, Put a dab of hot melt glue on the outside of the case hinge pins, lube clutch and brake cables, install oil changing kit, install skid plate, install nice covers, install tires with 12oz of slime in each tube, install front brake pad, install front and rear sprokets, install hyper-lites, adjust chain slack, adjust rear suspension pre-load and rebound and front rebound, lube chain, check rear brake host clearance to exhaust manifold, heat gun to remove tank warning sticker, install tank protector, rain-x windshield, fill fuel tank and add Lucas injector cleaner, test bike and set SpeedoDRD.

Finally, I purchased Lucas semi-synthetic 10w-40 oil. I've always heard good things about their products and it says it's formulated for the wet sump clutch so hoping that makes shifting and finding neutral like butter.

Now, with that gigantic list of things, what else do you suggest I get or do to the bike before I start the break in process?

Oh, BTW, I'm located in Redmond, WA. and it seems like some others on here are fairly local. Let's hook up sometime for a Zong ride!

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions! This is a great group!

Joe

Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #2

Congrats Joe, it looks like you have the important stuff covered and are well on the way to many miles of trouble free and enjoyable riding.

CSC have an electrical connector and cable to utilize the A1 and A2 switches on the right side of the handlebar for accessories. I'm sure that others will chime in with useful suggestions.

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 09-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #3

I suggest you do not use semi-synth oil during the break-in period. The parts need to rub together more during this period and synth blends will hinder the process.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 PM   #4

Thanks George. Yes, I am planning on using the A1 switch for the aux lights but don't have any plans for A2. The USB Handlebar mount is going to connect directly to the battery as it has rings and a fuse and it has it's own power switch. I also talked to CSC and confirmed that the A1/A2 plugs power off when the key is turned off on the bike so I won't accidentally leave the aux lights on. But, I do want to be able to keep a USB device charging and in worse case I have the 8000mAh jump starter to get me going again.
I'm new to offroad riding so need to get some training or I'd jump in my motorhome and come down for Moab! I just retired 2 weeks ago so I've got time :-)

Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Thanks George. Yes, I am planning on using the A1 switch for the aux lights but don't have any plans for A2. The USB Handlebar mount is going to connect directly to the battery as it has rings and a fuse and it has it's own power switch. I also talked to CSC and confirmed that the A1/A2 plugs power off when the key is turned off on the bike so I won't accidentally leave the aux lights on. But, I do want to be able to keep a USB device charging and in worse case I have the 8000mAh jump starter to get me going again.
I'm new to offroad riding so need to get some training or I'd jump in my motorhome and come down for Moab! I just retired 2 weeks ago so I've got time :-)
Sounds like your really getting in to the retirement thing with motorcycles and motorhomes. Congratulations on all. I'm sure you've earned it
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 AM   #6

Thank you Dan for this info. I'll pickup some non-synth motorcycle oil for the break-in!

Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 AM   #7

Congrats on your fast orange RX3! Sounds like a lot of planning went into this build and you have some great accessories coming. We are definitely going to want pics when you get it all together!

Don't forget to oil your air filter and check your rear wheel and chain alignment. Make sure the chain adjuster locknuts are tight.

And I may have missed it but I didn't see a sidestand foot in your list of accessories. CSC sells a good one and they help keep the sidestand from sinking in the dirt.

2015 CSC red RX3 with 19" front wheel, Shinko 804/805, skid plate, tall seat, 13T/45T sprockets, progressive shock, Winyoochanok windshield, GENSSI LED headlight, SW-Motech tankbag, Shorai Lithium battery
2014 Ural Patrol

Old 09-23-2016, 02:34 AM   #8

Thanks Detours, all good points! Do you think I'll use the side stand much since I'll have the center stand? I've never had one and was told that it would be good for dirt and sand vs the side stand.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #9

its also manditory to take delivery and uncrating pictures !

Old 09-23-2016, 10:13 AM   #10

Congrats and it sounds like you'll have a very loaded new RX3!
My only suggestion would be to put the aux lights on "A2". I don't know if it's just me and my busy hands, but there's so many times I leave for a ride in the "off " position....and when I get home and it's in the "A1" position. I don't know if this happens to anyone else.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 09-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #11

Congratulations Joe! And great choice on color! The 2016 orange is deeper and, with the new for 2016 paint scheme, a stunner!

Sounds like you have a full regimen scheduled for your RX3! But don't forget to ride it! :-P And most importantly, don't follow my break-in approach by dropping the bike off the trailer without putting a mile on it! (Yes, I was THAT guy.) Luckily the RX3 is stout and the crash bars did their job and protected the bike. A little fine sanding on the crash bars, semi-gloss black spray paint and you'd never know that it was dropped (except now since I've 'fessed up.)

Enjoy the ride and post pics of the upgrades as you do them!

Old 09-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
My only suggestion would be to put the aux lights on "A2". I don't know if it's just me and my busy hands, but there's so many times I leave for a ride in the "off " position....and when I get home and it's in the "A1" position. I don't know if this happens to anyone else.
Here here. It happens to me too, so I wired my auxiliary lights to A2. No more problems! I'm sure my thumb is nudging the switch over somehow. But in the A2 position, it's a non issue. Great suggestion!

Old 09-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #13

With this full consensus I will put it on A2!

Oh, I plan on getting the break in miles quickly and then get out for some real fun before the weather sets in!

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2016, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Thanks Detours, all good points! Do you think I'll use the side stand much since I'll have the center stand? I've never had one and was told that it would be good for dirt and sand vs the side stand.
I think you will find that you use the side stand most of the time. I only use my center stand when fueling, lubing the chain, or maintenance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The side stand does not have an idiot,,,,,, er,,,,,,, safety switch. You can ride away with the side stand still down, which makes for a thrilling first left hand turn. Keeps the heart rate up.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The side stand does not have an idiot,,,,,, er,,,,,,, safety switch. You can ride away with the side stand still down, which makes for a thrilling first left hand turn. Keeps the heart rate up.
Oh good... I thought I was the only one to do that.

Tags
bike prep, farkles, rx3