Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #1

Hawk Dlx from TXPS

Maybe I’m late to the party, but has anyone else seen the Hawk 250 Dlx? I saw one on TXPS website for preorder. EFI, digital cluster, inverted forks, new graphics and who knows what else.

I sure wish my Hawk had fuel injection!

Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 PM   #2

They battle with getting a carb right...
So what could possibly go wrong with a injected budget motor bike..
Using quality components dose not fit the budget mind set..
Just don't be the first to buy one.... wait and see...

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Last edited by pete; 05-24-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:33 PM   #3

RPS actually has EPA/DOT 'on-highway' certification for 49 states for the bike, but so far...no bikes.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-25-2019, 12:00 AM   #4

We have had 2 fuel injected 4 wheelers, and one that was a carb model. We had injector problems, fuel pump problems, and on and on, and the cost? Hold on to your moths in your wallet. The carb model? Adjusted valves, that is it, and still running strong, except for problems with cv joints, drive shafts. I guess I am old school with these small engines. Carb models are so simple on these simple, inexpensive bikes. AND the knowledge base on this site is actually priceless. I remember years ago when fuel injection came about in the snowmobile industry. We had several of these over the years. Lots of problems. But today these sleds today are upwards of $13,000, all high tech. (we are more in tune with sleds than the motorcycles). Personally I had a fuel injected sled years ago, deep pow, couldn't tow it out, wouldn't start, getting dark, 30 miles or more to pickup. We thought the fuel injection was iced up somehow, and nobody had any hot coffee, and we were running out of daylight to start a fire and heat some snow. HOWEVER, some in our group had to pee, and the collective, urination process was enough to de ice whatever was frozen, and we were on our way. We had carbs back in the day that froze up, but take them apart, blow them out, etc. Easy. We always carried extra mikuni jets, when the temp dropped and we were dropping in serious elevation. This is our first experience with the china bikes, and we are really amazed at how simple they are, and how much fun a person can have without breaking the bank! The suppliers that want down payments on a non guaranteed product, that may or may not work or be reliable? They are crazy, but again greedy. Bait and switch!
I guess I and we are old school.....
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 05-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #5

Psssst.... stay away from all things "Manny" owned and operated (TxPS is one of the many).... you have been warned....

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #6

I've purchased (2) Hawks from them with no issues at all. I'm not necessarily advocating them as I've heard many forum members in the past have had problems. Just sayin', my purchases went fine.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #7

I like EFI , i really do .But ,you swap the exhaust and intake/filter on a carbed Vader, you end up needing to buy $5 worth of jets.

Now you change those same bits on an EFI Grom, you need to buy a $350 power commander to reflash the ECU.

$5 or $350 is a big deal to me, i can do a LOT of addtl mods on a China bike for that 345 dollar difference. And like pete said,my confidence level in "as absolutely cheap as possible" china produced EFI systems and all their relatively complex components is not real high,i bought a motorcycle to ride , not push down the side of the road lol.

That said, no one would be happier than me to see them pull off a EFI Hawk at near the current price point and it be found reliable.
2020 Orion RXB250L

Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #8

Chinese cheap EFI
It’s a struggle and I’d think most wouldn’t manage it
KISS keep it simple stuff comes to mind

Old 05-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCrowRides View Post
I like EFI , i really do .But ,you swap the exhaust and intake/filter on a carbed Vader, you end up needing to buy $5 worth of jets.

Now you change those same bits on an EFI Grom, you need to buy a $350 power commander to reflash the ECU.

$5 or $350 is a big deal to me, i can do a LOT of addtl mods on a China bike for that 345 dollar difference. And like pete said,my confidence level in "as absolutely cheap as possible" china produced EFI systems and all their relatively complex components is not real high,i bought a motorcycle to ride , not push down the side of the road lol.

That said, no one would be happier than me to see them pull off a EFI Hawk at near the current price point and it be found reliable.
Just add s carb worst case and tweak the CDI wires
Only real good or better thing is the USD forks compared to the twigs on the current model

PitsterPro has loads of EFI issue and that’s a cheap system too
Delphi isn’t bad not perfect but work good enough but it won’t cone on this bike
Not many bikes in China are EFI for a reason
Only the bigger real brands and not anyone from an orphan factory like the china bikes often sold in the USA

Old 05-25-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2jmpr View Post
Maybe I’m late to the party, but has anyone else seen the Hawk 250 Dlx? I saw one on TXPS website for preorder. EFI, digital cluster, inverted forks, new graphics and who knows what else.

I sure wish my Hawk had fuel injection!
The thought of leaving any sort of “deposit” with Manny makes my stomach turn. If you do, I’m confident that you can kiss that $500 preorder deposit goodbye. He would love to take the money and not deliver anything. That’s his specialty actually. And, he’s well covered in fine print that you would agree to when you agree to the preorder that there would be nothing you could do. Consider it a $500 donation to Manny at that point. I know slime when I come across it...avoid at all costs. I can go on, but I’ll end it here.

Old 05-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #11

There is a lot of curiosity surrounding this bike, but we will have to wait about a month in order to really find out any details. At this point I don't think anybody trusts the EFI on the bike. As far as how it responds to mods, that also depends on what type of system it runs. Pitster Pro used a Kayo EFI on their bikes, which was a self learning/adjusting setup that could actually compensate for changes like an exhaust. The problem with that system was mainly the reliability of the system itself and the related parts.

The Digital cluster it comes with will likely be inaccurate, but that is just speculation based om my own distrust of the factory supplied stuff. At least it would finally come with a tachometer.

The inverted forks would be a welcome improvement in terms of rigidity, even if they likely wont function any better in terms of damping.

I would trade all of the fancy farkles it comes with for a better rear swing arm with a progressive shock linkage to go with those new USD forks. I would also trade the EFI system for a carbureted RE250 engine so I could have a 6th gear.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 05-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #12

for mods .. pipes air box etc..
for about $10 you can build a
unit to adjust the A/F ratio just by
turning a nob...

you just tell lies to the ECU about how hot
the air temp is by the air temp sender..
tell it the air is colder ECU will richen the A/F ratio..
Hotter it will lean the A/F ratio..

I have one on my XT660R..

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
There is a lot of curiosity surrounding this bike, but we will have to wait about a month in order to really find out any details. At this point I don't think anybody trusts the EFI on the bike. As far as how it responds to mods, that also depends on what type of system it runs. Pitster Pro used a Kayo EFI on their bikes, which was a self learning/adjusting setup that could actually compensate for changes like an exhaust. The problem with that system was mainly the reliability of the system itself and the related parts.

The Digital cluster it comes with will likely be inaccurate, but that is just speculation based om my own distrust of the factory supplied stuff. At least it would finally come with a tachometer.

The inverted forks would be a welcome improvement in terms of rigidity, even if they likely wont function any better in terms of damping.

I would trade all of the fancy farkles it comes with for a better rear swing arm with a progressive shock linkage to go with those new USD forks. I would also trade the EFI system for a carbureted RE250 engine so I could have a 6th gear.
PitsterPro uses a ROJO (more common on scooter EFI conversions).
Digital cluster most likely is like yours that has the 3 wheel sizes (Common I found in China - I doubt he actually had them tune it correctly, I found the same here locally)
The USD forks I have a set from Haosen from the parts bikes I got a couple months back - not as bulky as the CQR but still thicker then the 30mm Hawk type ( I feel the USD SHOULD be the standard and they don't cost much more).

Zongshen do a 6 speed - Loncin however seem more common in China and the better bike have the Delphi EFI much like the RX3 etc - not bad not perfect but works fine without much issues.
No bike here runs the CG250 all run a CB250 be it a 223cc or a 249.9cc engine.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
for mods .. pipes air box etc..
for about $10 you can build a
unit to adjust the A/F ratio just by
turning a nob...

you just tell lies to the ECU about how hot
the air temp is by the air temp sender..
tell it the air is colder ECU will richen the A/F ratio..
Hotter it will lean the A/F ratio..

I have one on my XT660R..

Yeah just trick the MAP sensor/Air temp to be cooler etc.
But how would you do it when you are in open loop? when it no longer looks at the sensors due to high engine RPM? The RX3 Delphi at 6000 and up RPM runs on the map no longer on the sensors etc.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
Yeah just trick the MAP sensor/Air temp to be cooler etc.
But how would you do it when you are in open loop? when it no longer looks at the sensors due to high engine RPM? The RX3 Delphi at 6000 and up RPM runs on the map no longer on the sensors etc.

with a 1 ohm pentameter connected to the air temp sencer wire..

turn the nob to change the resistance..
the temp sencer still works but at a higher or lower resistance level..

don't know about the cheap Chinese units but the jap system takes info
from all sencers thought the rev range in both closed and open loops..

the system on my xt660 is to sensitive to throttle movement and jumps between
closed and open loops... creates surging effect as it keeps richening and leaning
the A/F ratio thinking you are going to accelerate...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...