Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

What to include with the basic bike?

Getting closer to pulling the trigger...sent off closing documents for selling our old house today. So, I was hoping on a little discussion on factory parts/accessories that you would include with the bike purchase. I am definitely going with the bigger front tire, heated grips, and having them change the front forks' oil to something heavier. Figured that I would install accessory lights myself this winter. What else should I include? Is the center stand a must have? Lots of people are talking about changing sprocket size...thoughts? Stick with the factory luggage getting softbags later when more storage is needed, or jump into Tourafella(which costs as much as my XR250L costs)? Come on guys, give me your opinions for Black Friday is coming up quick!

Jim

Old 11-14-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

My basic philosophy is to ride the stock motorcycle for a while to become familiar with it, and to add accessories later. Having said that, I would certainly exchange the stock fork oil for some quality, 10W fork oil. I would also purchase a 13T C/S sprocket. The sprocket doesn't cost much, and is easy to install. If you are climbing long hills at Reno elevations, and higher, I think you will enjoy experimenting with the lower gearing.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #3

Upon receiving the motorcycle, I would immediately replace the front brake pads with Honda, sintered brake pads, as described in the thread linked below.

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=15503

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #4

Center stand input.

Hi Jim,

I have the center stand on my Cyclone and glad to have it.
However you will notice in the CSC pic that the tab is just that, a tab to let your toe lower it to the ground. It does not have a lever extension that aids lifting the bike on to it, so it takes a bit of effort and technique development. It can also get in the way if you are doing the oil change while on the stand, causing oil to miss the drain pan and go on the floor, so creativity comes in handy there as well.

Positive side, cleaning & lubing the chain is a snap! I dismount after a ride and use the stand, pull the chemicals out of the L/H bag, wedge my right knee under the rear protection guard to raise the wheel off the ground and spray as I spin the wheel. Also makes chain adjustment much more easy and will likely aid rear wheel removal, especially on the road.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:11 AM   #5

Jay and Spud...thanks! So definitely adding the center stand, sproc
ket, and front brake pad. On the pad, thanks for the Honda tip, but I am also going to talk to CSC. Ryan, I think, mentioned a new front brake pad that they have for the RX3. Figured that the add-ons I would have them do at CSC before shipping the bike....garage is full of boxes from the move and really don't have the room to wrench.

Jim

Old 11-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer View Post
garage is full of boxes from the move and really don't have the room to wrench.

Jim
Winter wrenching is done in the dining room. Why waste an entire room for a few meals that total, what, 30-40 minutes a day?

If you are one who uses Gadgets of Technology, you might wish the auxiliary outlets also. Word of caution on the 12 volt auto *lighter* type receptacle, you can't use a real lighter in it, wire is too small gage and also the fuse will blow.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
Winter wrenching is done in the dining room. Why waste an entire room for a few meals that total, what, 30-40 minutes a day?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay In Milpitas View Post
...If you are one who uses Gadgets of Technology, you might wish the auxiliary outlets also. Word of caution on the 12 volt auto *lighter* type receptacle, you can't use a real lighter in it, wire is too small gage and also the fuse will blow.
I don't smoke, so I never considered your caveat regarding the cigarette lighter. That is good advice.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I don't smoke, so I never considered your caveat regarding the cigarette lighter. That is good advice.
My GL1200 Gold Wing has a proper lighter, so with a 3/4 helmet and the protection of the fairing I'm able to enjoy a cup of coffee and a smoke on my morning commute.

But I enjoy riding the RX3 more. The sacrifices we make.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:26 AM   #9

You know what they say, Jay. Life is hard, and then you die.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #10

Yup, auxiliary outlets.....check.

Jim

Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

Jim - are you doing the package deal that CSC put together?

Here's the 19" wheel package deal:
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-WH...p/csc-2004.htm

And here's the CSC Explorer Package:
http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/RX3-EX...p/csc-2002.htm

I know you mentioned putting on the lights yourself, but they've got a couple of packages that include lights and gives a little savings off buying each part individually. Just wanted to throw out these options.

I think getting the heavier fork oil will be helpful. That's my next project. But I think Spud and Jay's advice has you well covered.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

Thanks for the input.... I was looking at pkgs...all of 'em! That is kinda why I asked the original question...figured I would make a list of stuff and see what pkgs covered 'em. We shall see what there black Friday deals are...maybe then I may include the lights, too. :-)