Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2016, 10:49 PM   #16

A2 ++
Centerstand - use only on firm surfaces. I learned that using it on grass.
Why Slime? I recommend NOT using Slime in the tubes. Makes a mess, may affect balance. It might seal a nail in the tire, but when you pull out the nail it might not. Often when you get a nail the tire will slip on the rim and the nail will tear the tube - big mess with Slime. 90% of motorcycle flat tires are rears.
You didn't say how much motorcycling experience you have; I highly recommend a motorcycle safety class, particularly if you have never taken one, no matter how many years you have been riding.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:45 AM   #17

I saw that mentioned in a post somewhere and also saw a DIY switch a guy put together on his site: http://www.rx3adventure.com/rx3_sidestand_switch.html

I'll have to be very careful with that!

Darn, I guess I should get the side stand pad for the grass, dirt and sand then.

Old 09-24-2016, 02:51 AM   #18

Thanks for the info on Slime. I am a bike racer and we use sealant in our tubeless tires and old school tubulars so I figured it would be good for this application.

Yeah, I used to have a bike and ride a lot. Road only. But it's been over 20 years so I plan on taking the intermediate and advanced road safety classes and then after getting the hang of it and playing on gentle dirt I want to take an off-road class with someone like PSSOR. But their last class of the year is next weekend and then nothing till May. May have to road trip south and take one in Cali or Arizona. Maybe I can get some lessons from Everide :-)

Old 09-24-2016, 09:37 AM   #19

Slime also adds nearly a pound of rotating mass to each wheel, which is adverse to handling.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 09-24-2016, 12:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
I saw that mentioned in a post somewhere and also saw a DIY switch a guy put together on his site: http://www.rx3adventure.com/rx3_sidestand_switch.html

I'll have to be very careful with that!
I Have fitted a similar thing,

Its a simple micro switch that sounds the horn if I leave the side stand down.

See here
http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...315#post189315

Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM   #21

I think I am going to do the setup like he did here on page 1: http://www.rx3adventure.com/rx3_sidestand_switch.html

This seems like a simple wire setup to the kill switch. I also like that I could simply put the side stand down at a stop and it will kill the engine.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:58 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Yeah, I used to have a bike and ride a lot. Road only. But it's been over 20 years so I plan on taking the intermediate and advanced road safety classes and then after getting the hang of it and playing on gentle dirt I want to take an off-road class with someone like PSSOR. But their last class of the year is next weekend and then nothing till May. May have to road trip south and take one in Cali or Arizona. Maybe I can get some lessons from Everide :-)
When I got back into motorcycling after a 20 year hiatus I debated taking the intermediate class or the beginner class. I decided on the beginner class and was glad I did. A lot of good information, particularly in the classroom, that was not even mentioned in the intermediate I took several years later. Sure, it was a bit slow going in the beginning of the on-bike portion, but that did not last long, and it was good review. The course was designed for someone with no motorcycle experience but who had a driver's incense and could ride a bicycle.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:05 AM   #23

hmmm...I'll have to think on that. I do think the beginners course would be good after all this time. just didn't know if it would be mostly too basic. I'll check it out, thank you!

Old 09-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #24

Congrats again, this time for the retirement. Since I retired 2 years ago, I've ridden to Alaska, part of the CSC Western States tour, the east coast, the Olympic peninsula including the Oregon and California coastlines and I'm leaving tomorrow for St. George, UT. If you get a chance to get to Arizona, let me know and I'll be happy to show you around,

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 09-25-2016, 05:53 PM   #25

Thanks and I will do as I'd love to do some riding down there! I have a motorhome and I'm planning on getting a stinger motorcycle trailer so I can haul the bike around,, "glamp" and ride.

Old 09-25-2016, 05:55 PM   #26

That seals it, I'm not going to 'slime' my tubes! Thanks for all the advice!

Old 09-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #27

Bike to be delivered tomorrow between 10 and 3. C A N ' T W A I T !

Once delivered I'm going to take crate and uncrating pictures, inspect everything, check over the easy to get to nuts, bolts, screws, check the fluid levels (oil, coolant, brake), Install the wind screen, mirrors, top box and hand guards, set the clock, check chain slack, check tire pressure, check brakes, throttle, clutch adjustments, install the plates and load up some basics to get fuel and then get in the first couple hundred miles before the rain hits on Friday PM. Then this weekend I'll do all the customizations and replace all the fluids, following the hints, tricks and guides from CSC and this forum. I'll try to get a couple pictures while I'm out and about and then will get photo's once all the customizations are complete.

Thanks again everyone for all your assistance!!!

Joe

Old 09-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #28

Joe, CSC ships the bike with some nice tie down straps. Make sure you save them!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:40 PM   #29

Good call, I will. I also ordered some cool straps to go with my trailer. They have rubber integrated into them so their is a bit of flex for the bike to move and also keeps them tight so the tie down hooks don't come off the soft straps.
http://www.stingertrailer.com/produc...ike-strap-kit/
Neat video on there also on how they work. Also looks to be a great trailer to tow behind my motorhome, I ordered it. Adventure awaits!

Old 09-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #30

Man this is an exciting thread, I'd probably have worn out the 'refresh' button watching the tracking! The idea of building your own custom ADV bike right from the start is a big draw to the RX3 for me. The other ADV options are so expensive, and their farkles equally expensive...there's no way I'd be able to afford it. (Not until Oklahoma decides to pay teachers more)

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the photos!

Tags
bike prep, farkles, rx3