Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 PM   #1

100cc 4 wheeler CDI???'s

I sold my 200 enduro a while ago, bought a 50cc scooter for the wife, learned how to clean the carb on that, then I just found a 100cc 4 wheeler for $200. Brought it home...put a good battery in it and the kids have been hauling butt around for a week...just had to pull it down the drive way after it shut off...no spark...4 pin CDI is my suspect. I dont recall what the cheapest place there was to get one?

Its got no name on it. 100cc, wireless shut off/alarm, no shifting gears just one speed forward, no neutral even, tiny body and tires, headlight, brake light..looks a lot like this but sun faded, camo color, no flames/numbers/etc

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 PM   #2

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Is that my CDI? A little different than the one on my lifan 200...if I recall correctly

Old 06-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

That is the rectifier.

You probably need one like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-C...Q5fAccessories

Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #4

Awesome. Thanks!!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #5

you can check these two companies out for parts. I found them helpful for stuff I could not find locally.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/index_parts.php

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.ph.../vehicle/tID/1

Old 06-24-2011, 10:35 AM   #6

Just to be clear: after it was switched off you couldn't get spark again? If so, do you have a kill switch on the left handlebar that resembles a street bike turn signal switch? If you do, press the switch in and release, then try to start it again.

That device has fooled many of us.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #7

I'll double check the handle bar. Might be something we didnt notice. Does have the traditional red kill toggle on the left, and starter button. Also has an alarm/kill system on it so parents can shut it off. Wondered if that had tripped somehow and was keeping it dead. I took the CDI off the wifes 50cc scooter and tried it...didnt change anything. Going to try the 4 wheeler cdi on the scooter in a sec just to make sure its good.

got to see if there s away to bypass the alarm

Old 06-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #8

CDI from 4 wheeler work in my wifes scooter...may have a little more torque? think they could have differrent curves? any way..put the test light to her coil positive wire and have weak light when cranking. is there a known amount of voltage that needs to go into the coil?

Old 06-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #9

Could the stator be the problem? I dont know how to test it or even where it is? Suspect that its inside the cover on the side? Going to investigate now.

Back..found the stator...still dont know how to test it yet...lots of good tech in the chinese atv section at atvconnection.com

wish I had a parts one laying around to test. Reset the ground on the motor. going to give it a few minutes to think about whats it done while I take some garbage to the dump and pick up some oil for the wifes car.

HEY. I'm going to check the wifes scooter to see if she has the same one...thats using the old noggin...

Old 06-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #10

Hi yellowxj

Most likely it's not the stator, CDI or ignition coil... Most of those ATVs with the remote kill seem to be crap & the remote kill is the issue. I'll bet the box for the remote kill went south. Unplug the remote kill box & see if it has spark. If not you may need to jump any where from 2 to a few wires to get it to operate again.
Hours: Tue.-Fri. 10:00-6:00 Sat. 10:00-4:00 EST.
Dealer for: Lifan, Crossrunner ATVs.
http://www.endlessjourneycycles.net

Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 PM   #11

Thanks, I suspected that too...I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 PM   #12

Tinkered with the alarm wires a bit but need to find a diagram so I'll be searching on line... :(

Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #13

after helpful PM's and online advice I took the daughter out today and had her help me run the test light over the coil looking to see if the stator was sending pulses out or not...while testing the two wires I wound up pulling the black wire off the coil...bad connection? put a new end on it and put it on...got pulse from the stator now...also had pulled the coil mount bolt loose and retightened...dont know what fixed it for sure but it runs now.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #14

I just went through this with a buddy's SUNL ATV-115 on Friday. We picked it up from a guy for a $100 off Craigslist. He couldn't get it running so I figured I'd dive into it and see what I could find out. It had a trashed carburetor on it and we replaced that for $51. I'm actually spoiled here being that there is a guy who sells all the parts for the Chinese 4 wheelers one block up the street from me. I got the new carb in and it fired right up and was screaming! We rode the shit out of it for a bit and as I was driving it to the garage it just died. I couldn't get it working for anything. NO SPARK!!!

I got to checking everything and came to find out that there was no ground getting to the CDI module. The green wire is your ground. Although everything "looked" good it turned that when they crimped the connector onto the wire that fit into the plug that they had only gotten about one true strand of wire. I made a quick jumper that I jammed into the plug and we had spark. I checked and verified it with the continuity checker on the volt meter and was getting nothing on the factory wire. I pulled it apart, re-crimped it, and now we are riding the thing every day.

May not be your issue but it was an experience that I thought I'd share. I have the advantage of owning a few of these 110cc atvs so I was able to swap coil, cdi and regulator modules between them to see if anything was bad. I was actually thinking it was going to be a stator that was bad and was ready to pick one up for $50. I'm glad I figured out it was just a bad crimp job or I would have been out the money.