Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #1

What Tank bag do you have?

Looking to get a tank bag for the RX3, any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 10-05-2017, 11:20 PM   #2

Wolfman. Awesome product. I believe I have the expedition lite? model. Fits perfectly.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

I’ve not been a fan of tank bags. First, they cover the fuel cap so have to be removed to fill. Most have 4 clips or so to do that. Second, they hit my legs when riding off-road and I am standing up. Third, they block where I have my phone mounted. Finally, I don’t trust people as lots of stuff gets stolen and they don’t lock.
If I were to get a different one I’d probably go with a bags connection (sw-motech) one with the 115 tank ring, which works on the RX3, as they make smaller units and require a single pull to release.

Joe

Old 10-06-2017, 12:00 PM   #4

i bought the small magnetic one that C.S.C. sells the zipper only made it about six months but I like it keeps my registration phone and other miscellaneous dodads i've never locked anything my whole life that is why i live here

Old 10-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #5

I also have the bags connection (sw-motech) one with the 115 tank ring. I switch it from the RX3 to the NC700x depending on what I'm riding that day. Has worked for me for last 3 bikes going back to 2011. rj

Old 10-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #6

Never seen the Bags Connection one before. That looks interesting...

Thanks

Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
I’ve not been a fan of tank bags. First, they cover the fuel cap so have to be removed to fill. Most have 4 clips or so to do that. Second, they hit my legs when riding off-road and I am standing up. Third, they block where I have my phone mounted. Finally, I don’t trust people as lots of stuff gets stolen and they don’t lock.
I agree with all of the above. Additionally, a lot riders have these massive tank bags to hold extra luggage, and those just look awkward and intrusive to the ride- like it would cover the instrument panel and hit your chest when you lean forward. I'm sure you adapt to it so that eventually it feels normal, but I can't get passed the idea of it. So small bag or nada.

So I searched for the ideal bag and believe that I have found it in the Oxford X2 mini magnetic. It solves all of the above mentioned issues and then some. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, but I really love this bag. The size and shape are well suited to the RX3, my blue bag matches my blue bike. Unfortunately I see on Amazon and Revzilla that it is out of stock and discontinued, I bought mine just over a year ago from a local shop, maybe you can still find it somewhere.

Its magnetic and the magnets are super strong- interstates, off-road, drops, it never moves. It has a big, beefy handle at the top, so you just peel it off at the fuel station, then stick it back on, takes all of 1 second. The handle works well to carry it around in a convenience store. Or its small enough that it can fit into my helmet, then I just carry the helmet around by the chin strap with bag inside. Either it comes with me, or I pull out all the valuables, so no worries about theft.

I usually keep in it: phone, charging cable, wallet, cap, sunglasses, GoCruise, chapstick, cleaning cloth, coins, receipts, etc. and when I pull my gloves off I shove them in there too. Much nicer than having your jacket pockets loaded down, then not knowing what is in which pocket. It also has a small expansion zipper, and sometimes I keep my mirrorless camera with large zoom lens in there so I can pull over and snap a quick shot.

I have a handlebar mount for my phone, but this leaves the phone exposed to the elements (sun, rain, dust), so I rarely use it- generally I just bluetooth navigation to my helmet and don't need to see the phone. My phone is terrible about overheating, so if its sitting in the sun, charging and nav running, and the outside temp is above 75F, my phone will warm up and deplete the battery or just shut itself off all together- not a good situation when traveling an unfamiliar country. To solve this I keep the phone inside the bag and leave the bag unzipped. At first I was nervous about stuff falling out, but the design of the bag ensures that stuff can't fall/bounce out- even on crazy, bumpy offroad stuff. The only time stuff has come out of the unzipped bag is when I dropped the bike.

Another big plus for me is that the bag is like 98% waterproof. Its not a drybag, but it will keep your stuff from getting wet. Twice on this trip I've ridden through rainstorms with sidewinds that literally blew me off the road, saturated through my rain gear, and seeped into my boots. Both times the inside of the tank bag was slightly moist, but my phone and wallet were safely dry.

Oh, and the zippers are strong and glove-friendly. With one hand and a thick glove on I can unzip it, pull stuff out, and zip it back, without needing to pull over.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #8

I have a Wolfman Blackhawk - fits the bike well and all Wolfman products hold up well - I have three of their tankbags (Enduro, Blackhawk & Explorer Lite) on various bikes I own and love them all.
IBA#65836

2005 BMW F650gs
2008 Yamaha XT250
2013 Yamaha XT250
2009 Suzuki Gladius

Old 10-09-2017, 11:39 AM   #9

I'm a fan of tank bags. For me it's important to have quick access to a few key items...rain covers for my gloves, notebook and pen, hat (to protect my hairless head when I take my helmet off), a map or two, lip balm and sun block. A magnetic bag is my preference if I have a metal tank. The exposed metal part of the RX3 tank is pretty small so that limits how many magnetic tank bags fit. I'm using one sold by CSC and it's OK...but just OK. It's still much better than no bag.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC View Post
I agree with all of the above. Additionally, a lot riders have these massive tank bags to hold extra luggage, and those just look awkward and intrusive to the ride- like it would cover the instrument panel and hit your chest when you lean forward. I'm sure you adapt to it so that eventually it feels normal, but I can't get passed the idea of it. So small bag or nada.

So I searched for the ideal bag and believe that I have found it in the Oxford X2 mini magnetic. It solves all of the above mentioned issues and then some. Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch, but I really love this bag. The size and shape are well suited to the RX3, my blue bag matches my blue bike. Unfortunately I see on Amazon and Revzilla that it is out of stock and discontinued, I bought mine just over a year ago from a local shop, maybe you can still find it somewhere.

Its magnetic and the magnets are super strong- interstates, off-road, drops, it never moves. It has a big, beefy handle at the top, so you just peel it off at the fuel station, then stick it back on, takes all of 1 second. The handle works well to carry it around in a convenience store. Or its small enough that it can fit into my helmet, then I just carry the helmet around by the chin strap with bag inside. Either it comes with me, or I pull out all the valuables, so no worries about theft.

I usually keep in it: phone, charging cable, wallet, cap, sunglasses, GoCruise, chapstick, cleaning cloth, coins, receipts, etc. and when I pull my gloves off I shove them in there too. Much nicer than having your jacket pockets loaded down, then not knowing what is in which pocket. It also has a small expansion zipper, and sometimes I keep my mirrorless camera with large zoom lens in there so I can pull over and snap a quick shot.

I have a handlebar mount for my phone, but this leaves the phone exposed to the elements (sun, rain, dust), so I rarely use it- generally I just bluetooth navigation to my helmet and don't need to see the phone. My phone is terrible about overheating, so if its sitting in the sun, charging and nav running, and the outside temp is above 75F, my phone will warm up and deplete the battery or just shut itself off all together- not a good situation when traveling an unfamiliar country. To solve this I keep the phone inside the bag and leave the bag unzipped. At first I was nervous about stuff falling out, but the design of the bag ensures that stuff can't fall/bounce out- even on crazy, bumpy offroad stuff. The only time stuff has come out of the unzipped bag is when I dropped the bike.

Another big plus for me is that the bag is like 98% waterproof. Its not a drybag, but it will keep your stuff from getting wet. Twice on this trip I've ridden through rainstorms with sidewinds that literally blew me off the road, saturated through my rain gear, and seeped into my boots. Both times the inside of the tank bag was slightly moist, but my phone and wallet were safely dry.

Oh, and the zippers are strong and glove-friendly. With one hand and a thick glove on I can unzip it, pull stuff out, and zip it back, without needing to pull over.
This sounds like what I'm looking for. I just found one on Ebay and bought it. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #11

I am a tank bag fan. I use a magnetic model from Firstgear which also has strap mounting available. I had the CSC bag but the zippers failed after a month or so. I use it everyday as my work lunch bag and store all the usual little things in there...earplugs, charging cables, bandana, helmet lock. Not too big, holds my stuff, comes off the bike when I need it to, puts wear marks on the tank paint. Perfect!

Old 10-16-2017, 06:41 AM   #12

did you faced any scratches or blurry paint under the tank bag after some long tour?
I happent o use tank bag on one tour but it left marks on tank.. kind of blurry paint... had to get the tank repolished with compounds to get its shine back..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckayprod View Post
I am a tank bag fan

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap

Old 10-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #13

Magnetic tank bags will attract metallic junk if set on the ground, even iron ore from sand. Mine is good so far, I just wipe it down when I unclip my wolf man bag at gas stops (most of the time)

Old 10-17-2017, 08:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureDad View Post
Magnetic tank bags will attract metallic junk if set on the ground, even iron ore from sand. Mine is good so far, I just wipe it down when I unclip my wolf man bag at gas stops (most of the time)
I understand I do think may be a micro fiber piece of cloth b/w tank and bag itself might help... because usually here in Himalaya 80~ % track is dust, mud ... water stream.. if u want to have real ADV tour... or else tank paint will fade too soon...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20861860_10213918037923492_6112462153256190650_o.jpg (105.2 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7058.jpg (98.5 KB, 155 views)

- Adventure Touring# RX3 - 2017
- Dirt Machine# FSE-450 - 2022
- Classic# Honda CD175 - 1977
- Daily Runner# 1992 - CG125 (engine swap CB250 Sleeper)
- Project#1 : 1995 - Honda C70 w/ 180cc engine swap