Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2024, 09:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
Just catching up on this thread. To the OP, riding on the street is really not more dangerous than on trails. I've been down 4 times now on my KLR and that's more than my 40 years of street riding combined. I use one of my bikes for commuting every day the weather permits. You certainly have to adjust your approach and watch/learn/understand signs of what people are going to do in cages, but it's a learned skill. I'd suggest you start out slow and build your skills up. if you pay close attention you will learn some of the techniques of lane positioning for better visibility and watching for clues as to others intentions. might be a slight movement of a wheel, might be eye contact with another driver, or at least seeing where their eyes are. avoidance movements on your part. when to slow down or speed up to avoid situations. these things all come with time, experience and training.
Thank you for this reply! I tend to agree. I've been riding bicycles on the road most of my adult life. I have learned to be aware out there - mirrors on my helmet, lots of flashing lights, bright clothing, no headphones. Always rode a Mountain Bike - even on the road. My theory being the fat tires and heartier build will allow me to avoid going deeper into the road to go around a pot hole or sand or something. Plus I felt better being able to "ditch" it onto the soft edge of the road if someone got REALLY close!

Never had any issues (knock on wood!) and I went out there every time knowing this could be it for me! With that mentality it kept me focused. I always remember what my Dad taught me when driving - "Everyone out there is an A**shole!"

I imagine being on a motorcycle would be no different really. My biggest fear is the people turning in front of me. On my bike I was always at the edge of the road - going slow enough for plenty of time to see that. Might be different at 50 MPH.

I have already figured out my way to work. I was trying to find quiet roads to commute by mountain bike with - but at 20 miles, the hills would kill me! I'm 50, not 25 anymore :-) I only need to be on major roads for a few miles. Most of them are slow, quiet residential backroads cutting through town. Yea, its longer - but better ride - and would be safest.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:13 PM   #32

I used to own a CSC TT250 and just received a KPX 250 a week ago. I don't think you can go wrong with CSC if that's the direction you want to go. My TT250 showed strapped to a pallet and crate. Once I took the giant cardboard box of it and unstrapped it, it rolled right off the pallet and it started right up on the first try. It had gas in it and showed up ready. Just need to put a tag on it (rode it anyway, but don't tell anyone.) With the KPX from Venom I chose to assemble it myself, I like to tinker. Took 3 hours to do and I took my time. Saved $400 bucks doing that, which will immediately go into accessories for it. I do like CSC customer support. They are prompt and try hard to be helpful and they have accessories on their website that are guaranteed to work. My understanding is that Venom also has good customer support, but the KPX does not have much (if any) accessories anywhere specifically designed for it. Some things work/fit, but it seems to be trial and error until Lifan comes through with some aftermarket partnerships. Regardless, I don't think you will have any regrets giving either one of those companies your money. Now get out there and ride!

Old 01-04-2024, 10:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeToo View Post
I used to own a CSC TT250 and just received a KPX 250 a week ago. I don't think you can go wrong with CSC if that's the direction you want to go. My TT250 showed strapped to a pallet and crate. Once I took the giant cardboard box of it and unstrapped it, it rolled right off the pallet and it started right up on the first try. It had gas in it and showed up ready. Just need to put a tag on it (rode it anyway, but don't tell anyone.) With the KPX from Venom I chose to assemble it myself, I like to tinker. Took 3 hours to do and I took my time. Saved $400 bucks doing that, which will immediately go into accessories for it. I do like CSC customer support. They are prompt and try hard to be helpful and they have accessories on their website that are guaranteed to work. My understanding is that Venom also has good customer support, but the KPX does not have much (if any) accessories anywhere specifically designed for it. Some things work/fit, but it seems to be trial and error until Lifan comes through with some aftermarket partnerships. Regardless, I don't think you will have any regrets giving either one of those companies your money. Now get out there and ride!

thank you! Yes, I think CSC is going to be my choice - I love all of the videos they have online and their website is great. The fact that THEY will actually answer the phone is very re-assuring!

The only thing holding me back from a China bike is - will my local shop EVER help me with it if something major goes screwy? I am not a very handy person with tools, and I'm not shipping it back to CA :-)

Also their financing seems like it would work for me

Old 01-26-2024, 10:09 PM   #34

Dealer near you?

Did you mention way back that there is a Lifan dealer near you? I am just north of you in Rindge, NH and I'd like to visit that dealer. Who is it?

Thanks,

Ken

Old 02-08-2024, 07:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
Did you mention way back that there is a Lifan dealer near you? I am just north of you in Rindge, NH and I'd like to visit that dealer. Who is it?

Thanks,

Ken
Hi
Yes, I think it was Biker's Outfitter right outside of Boston.

He did not have any in stock, but said he could get them. Wound't it just be cheaper to get it direct though? I am sure they are going to mark it up.

If you go that route, or get one anytime soon, let me know. I'm a few miles from you and would love to check it out.