Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which YamaZong color scheme do you prefer?
KTM Orange 15 46.88%
Yamaha Blue 2 6.25%
Honda Red 1 3.13%
Stealth Black 6 18.75%
Desert Tan 5 15.63%
Kawasaki Green 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #61

Yesterday I repainted some of the Zong’s old plastic with Krylon Fusion Camouflage Ultra Flat Khaki spray paint. Below is a photograph of the repainted plastic, after it had dried for 24 hours.

I can report that Krylon Fusion Camouflage paint is very easy to apply, and it produces a nice flat finish. However, as you can see, Krylon has changed the color from the khaki posted on their website; the actual color is now more of a “battleship gray.”

Based upon these results, I can project my Zong repainted in Krylon Camo “Khaki” would look similar to the retouched photographs posted below. I'm still making up my mind; what do you think?

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #62

It is great to apply. Very easy and gives a good finish.

Honestly though I don't like the grey. Looks like primer again. Khacki or tan is the way to go, IMHO.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #63

You have a harder time making up Your mind then Brett Favre

Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #64

Orange. That color blends in too well. You need the blaze orange to be seen. :idea:

Old 10-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #65

Whoa that does look really grey, almost matches the concrete driveway.

Maybe try gander mt., bass pro, cabela's or brownells? They'd definitely have the proper tan/khacki/sand color

Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by katoranger
Orange. That color blends in too well. You need the blaze orange to be seen. :idea:
This afternoon I made one of the last trips this season up to 8,684 feet above sea level; the snow will soon close off this mountain top. :( Here's a photo I took of the Zong while descending from the summit; you can clearly see the difference in color between the new, orange rear-quarter panel, and the faded tailpiece.

My new, orange Polisport fender arrived today; I will pick it up tomorrow. After my new tailpiece arrives from Zongshen America, I will have new, orange plastic on the entire motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromedioxide
Whoa that does look really grey, almost matches the concrete driveway.

Maybe try gander mt., bass pro, cabela's or brownells? They'd definitely have the proper tan/khacki/sand color
If I wish to experiment with Desert Tan, I believe that Aervoe paint will provide the best color match.

http://www.aervoe.com/productcart/pc...duct=4#details

I can get this paint for $5-$9 per can from several vendors. The Aervoe paint specifies that its “colors are exact matches to 595 Federal Specifications,” and it is “designed to U.S. Military Designated Field Coloring standards.” The Krylon Fusion paint will provide a nice, primer base for this enamel paint.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-23-2009, 02:30 AM   #67

I agree with the others on the grey paint; it looks dull and lifeless to me, yet somehow the tan colour really popped. If you can't replicate the Desert Tan, that orange is hard to beat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #68

Glad you got another high altiture run in Spud. Snow is no factor here, but it's rainy today but supposed to be nice for the weekend.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #69

Hey spud, haven't been around for a while. My vote would be for the Kawi Green, but I have always loved that color. Not to fond of that gray, it looks like primer to me. By the way, I can't believe how faded your orange is 8O

Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #70

IIRC, DR, you acutually painted yours orange, right?

Old 10-26-2009, 02:14 PM   #71

I did my GY5 in Krylon fusion olive drab - Looks very good to my eyes and it is ace paint - really easy to get a nice quality finish.

Frog

Old 10-26-2009, 02:35 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDoc
IIRC, DR, you acutually painted yours orange, right?
yes, repainted with automotive paint and clear BC-CC, scratches buff out just like your car does.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:30 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
I did my GY5 in Krylon fusion olive drab - Looks very good to my eyes and it is ace paint - really easy to get a nice quality finish.

Frog
Will you share some photos Frog?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #74

Yesterday I installed the Polisport Universal Supermoto fender on my YamaZong. I received my new orange tailpiece this afternoon, and I will probably install it tomorrow, completing the KTM orange color scheme.

It was cold this afternoon, but I decided to take a quick ride up a local mountaintop to get the following pictures of my new Polisport fender.

I would never want to go back to the stock Zong fender! The Polisport fender is smaller, and it is constructed of thick, very high-quality plastic. Also, the orange color is molded into the fender. I paid the local Honda shop approximately $23, including tax, for my new Polisport fender.

I am enjoying my Zong’s refreshed orange color scheme quite a bit. Therefore, I am not surprised that KTM orange leads in the poll. Once again, I thank everyone for his constructive input.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-30-2009, 11:51 AM   #75

Bike look's GREAT Spud, I like the new front fender. That is also why I chose to stay with the orange. People have mistaken it for a KTM at least a dozen time's and one guy even was on a KTM at the time . Looking forward to the finished pic's