Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
View Poll Results: Which Zong tank plastic do you prefer?
Factory Tank Plastic 26 47.27%
3-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
2-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 2 3.64%
No-Fin Tank Plastic Mod 5 9.09%
Clarke 4.1 Gallon Fuel Tank 20 36.36%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 PM   #61

I had a Clarke tank on an XR 250 I ran for years and it was a good product.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
My vote is for black.
I am inclined to agree with you.

Here is a photograph of a Yamaha XT225 with the black Clarke fuel tank.

Here is a photograph of the white Clarke fuel tank.

Finally, here is a photo of the clear Clarke fuel tank.

I am anxious to order the fuel tank and begin my project. However, I am also still interested in getting more feedback regarding the color. I encourage others to offer their suggestions.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider
Also, just something to note, I would never advise you to paint that clarke tank. Any motorcycle tanks other than metal, actually very slightly expands and contracts in heat/cold and vapors are constantly being released through the polycarbonate plastic.
Well put. This is exactly the reason that decals bubble on a plastic tank.

Spud, that clear tank is kind of spooky looking, and the white won't stay that way for long. My vote is still for the black one; it will be the perfect complement to your existing orange and black scheme.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 PM   #64

Quote:
...Spud, that clear tank is kind of spooky looking...
Well, I guess it does look a little ghost-like.
Quote:
...and the white won't stay that way for long. My vote is still for the black one; it will be the perfect complement to your existing orange and black scheme.
I agree. I am going to order the black Clarke tank tomorrow morning.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 AM   #65

That black Yamaha is purdy...

Very niiiice.

Clear tank looks bizarre but at least you'd know if you were almost out of fuel.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 AM   #66

How many dang bikes do you have anyways?? 8O

Old 08-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ200cc
Apparently he's starting a Yamaha dealership without telling anyone! 8O

Old 08-28-2009, 02:45 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboT
Quote:
Apparently he's starting a Yamaha dealership without telling anyone! 8O

Fricken Jay Leno JR over here

Old 08-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #69

My white Clarke on my XR did turn yellow, but it did not bother me. It was a dual sport bike, born to be beaten.

I like that Corbin seat on that TW!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
If you are not too busy this Fall/Winter, would you consider painting my Zong fuel tank orange? I know you would do a superb job. If the fuel tank is cushioned in bubble wrap, I think it could make the trip from the Tri-Cities to Eastern Idaho without damage.

Spud

Yes it can always be shipped, I have done this type of stuff before (even to Canada). The big thing is, you need to let the CC dry for about a week+ before shipping. Even if it's dry enough to cut/polish (within 24hr's) it need's to breath for up to 90 day's. Ever have a car painted and they tell you not to wax it for atleast 90 day's ? Wax creats a barrier and will not allow it to breath, creating a multiple of problems. Wrapping the tank in bubble wrap or plastic is the same deal, not allowing solvents to be released and breath. I say in a week even though it's 90 day's, because I have an Infrared light at the shop that cure's the paint from the inside out, thus speeding up the process. Don't mean to ramble , just trying to explain it to you.

Question, why in the heck though would you want to paint the stock tank, if that awesome Clarke tank fit's. I might even be switching in the future if all goes well think the added fuel would be nice too.

If you plan on changing the color of your bike, now is the time to decide.

blue look's good then you could do the rest of the bike black ?

Do the red you wanted on the rest of your bike, and get a white tank, go's good together

Yellow would not look bad depending on what you did with the rest of the bike.

DONT get the clear one, to me it look's like a old plastic milk container on the bike

Ultimately I think black is the best choice and the most versatile if you ever want to change your mind on the color of the rest of the bike, black goes with anything right ? (that's what my wife always says ) If I decide to get one, it would most likely be the black :twisted:

Old 08-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #71

Side note : Looking at the other pic's, it look's as it should fit very nicely on our zong's. The mounting plate in the rear look's almost identical.

Also, how the seat fit's looks identical to ours in the front.

It looks as most everything is identical 8O, frame, whole front fork/hub setup, engine, air box, the list goes on. . . . . .

even the speedometer, gear indicator, and handle bar clamps.

I think it should be very minimal at most to make this tank fit. Question, what to do about the fuel petcock valve ? Get an inline one ?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #72

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
If you are not too busy this Fall/Winter, would you consider painting my Zong fuel tank orange? I know you would do a superb job. If the fuel tank is cushioned in bubble wrap, I think it could make the trip from the Tri-Cities to Eastern Idaho without damage.

Spud
Yes it can always be shipped, I have done this type of stuff before (even to Canada). The big thing is, you need to let the CC dry for about a week+ before shipping. Even if it's dry enough to cut/polish (within 24hr's) it need's to breath for up to 90 day's...I have an Infrared light at the shop that cure's the paint from the inside out, thus speeding up the process. Don't mean to ramble , just trying to explain it to you...
Thank you, DR. If I decide to paint the fuel tank, I will wait until the riding season ends. Therefore, I don't mind waiting for the paint to cure. Thank you for explaining the drying process; I was quite interested to learn more about it.
Quote:
...Question, why in the heck though would you want to paint the stock tank, if that awesome Clarke tank fit's. I might even be switching in the future if all goes well think the added fuel would be nice too...
Of course, you are correct. If the Clarke fuel tank looks good on the Zong, I won’t have a need to paint the stock fuel tank. Idaho is a very large state, filled with wilderness areas. I frequently ride into the “boonies,” and I would really enjoy the extra fuel capacity of the Clarke tank.
Quote:
...If you plan on changing the color of your bike, now is the time to decide….
Decisions, decisions… You are an excellent craftsman, so I am not surprised you have offered such tempting alternative color schemes!
Quote:
...DONT get the clear one, to me it look's like a old plastic milk container on the bike …
Once again, I think WG “hit the nail on the head.” The natural/clear tank looks “spooky!”
Quote:
...Ultimately I think black is the best choice and the most versatile if you ever want to change your mind on the color of the rest of the bike, black goes with anything right ? (that's what my wife always says ) If I decide to get one, it would most likely be the black :twisted:
Once again, sir, I think you are correct. I just finished ordering the black Clarke fuel tank. Needless to say, I will post my discoveries regarding the Clarke fuel tank in another thread, shortly after the tank arrives.

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM   #73

Quote:
Side note : Looking at the other pic's, it look's as it should fit very nicely on our zong's. The mounting plate in the rear look's almost identical…
You have a very good eye, DR! Indeed, the Zong fuel tank mounting plate is virtually identical to the Yamaha XT225 fuel tank mounting plate. In the photograph below, the Zong mounting plate is attached to the motorcycle; I placed a Yamaha XT225 fuel tank mounting plate just beside it, to the right.

I am very glad I decided to purchase my Zong. It is very nice to have a copy of a modern, currently produced motorcycle.

Quote:
…Also, how the seat fit's looks identical to ours in the front…
Once again, sir, you have an excellent eye for detail! In the photograph below I have mounted a stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank to my Zong. The stock tank will not seat down fully, because it has metal tabs to accommodate the Yamaha side plastic. These metal tabs are resting on the wider, Zong frame. Fortunately, the Clarke tank is not encumbered by these tabs! As you can see, the seat appears to mate fairly well with the angle of the stock Yamaha XT225 fuel tank.

Quote:
…It looks as most everything is identical 8O, frame, whole front fork/hub setup, engine, air box, the list goes on…
Actually, the Zong seems to be a mixture of Yamaha TW200 and Yamaha XT225 components. Most of the Zong is patterned after the Yamaha TW200 motorcycle, including the frame, airbox, carburetor, speedometer, and indicator lights. However, as I have demonstrated, Yamaha XT225 parts will also fit on the Zong. The Zong is a superb little motorcycle, and it is built very well. I have now traveled almost 16,000 miles on my YamaZong XT200GY-2; the more I ride it, the better I like it.
Quote:
…I think it should be very minimal at most to make this tank fit. Question, what to do about the fuel petcock valve ? Get an inline one ?
I did quite a bit of research before I selected the Clarke XT225 fuel tank. As always, I don’t want to make any modifications to my motorcycle that cannot be reversed.

The Clarke tank uses the standard Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock, which is different from the Zong petcock. However, I have discovered I can mount either a Yamaha TW200, or a Yamaha XT225 fuel petcock to the Clarke tank. I will not order the fuel petcock until I determine how well the Clarke tank mates to the Zong seat and side plastic.

The Clarke fuel tank is in stock, and it will ship out today. Stay tuned for further updates!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 08-28-2009, 01:12 PM   #74

Dang that is a very clean looking bike I like how that is done

I agree with the black, Once You go black You never go back. The zong will not look wrong, Spud will look like a stud, The bike will look quick and slick, ok that all I have. :roll:

Old 08-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #75

Quote:
Dang that is a very clean looking bike I like how that is done

I agree with the black, Once You go black You never go back. The zong will not look wrong, Spud will look like a stud, The bike will look quick and slick, ok that all I have. :roll:
AZ, you are a poet!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220