Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX4
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2021, 09:17 PM   #16

Ah, crap. I didn’t realize Maine is a CARB state. We just moved here last year.

Is the Brozz Recon not CARB Approved?

Old 04-06-2021, 07:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidInMaine View Post
Ah, crap. I didn’t realize Maine is a CARB state. We just moved here last year.

Is the Brozz Recon not CARB Approved?
No, none of the Chinese 250 cc class dual sports are, apart from CSC's offering - the TT250. It is a separate expense, above and beyond what an importing company has to pay for federal EPA certification. Most of the importing companies are unwilling to do it, which I find really odd, since the 13 states that use CARB emissions have the majority of motorcycle riders in the US, especially California. I do not know how stringent Maine is in applying their emissions rules to motorcycle registrations, so you may be able to go with a cheaper Hawk, but you will want to confirm this from somebody who has successfully registered one before buying one yourself. There is a thread here about Hawk registration:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17919

Maine is listed as successful, so you may be in luck. I would still try and find someone who has actually done it and talk to them first, if possible. Otherwise, just get the TT250 from CSC, learn what you need to know, then sell it on for a more capable dual sport or an ADV.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #18

I had read that someone registered a Hawk in Maine before. That might be my best bet.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
Thanks for all that info.. can you post up a link to this lever if you get a chance
Order them here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_

Note that you need to modify the boss on the clutch lever that actuates the clutch safety switch. Do this by bonding a 1/8" piece of aluminum to it. This will allow it to trip the switch when the lever is not pulled in and prevent you from accidently starting the bike in gear. You can run it as is, but you will have to be ever vigilant about pulling in the lever or making sure that the bike is in neutral when you start it. Also, extended running without actuating the clutch switch will cause the ECU to throw DTC and illuminate the Check Engine light. This post over on ADVRider shows the switch and boss/tab that needs to be shimmed:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/csc-rx4.1346649/page-55

Old 04-07-2021, 11:18 AM   #20

I have tried, twice, to get compatible levers from China. Although they were listed as fitting the RX3 and RX4 the clutch side really did not fit. It was more than just the clutch switch, I can shim that as mentioned. The perch itself did not marry up with the bracket on the handlebar. It was close but just not cut with the correct angles to work correctly. For $25 it was worth trying. Now I have two sets...anyone want to see if they fit your bike better than mine?

Peter Y.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
I have tried, twice, to get compatible levers from China. Although they were listed as fitting the RX3 and RX4 the clutch side really did not fit. It was more than just the clutch switch, I can shim that as mentioned. The perch itself did not marry up with the bracket on the handlebar. It was close but just not cut with the correct angles to work correctly. For $25 it was worth trying. Now I have two sets...anyone want to see if they fit your bike better than mine?

Peter Y.
So about the clutch issue, is it that the stock clutch cant be adjusted well enough by using the spinner adjustment?
From what i read it seems to be a comfort issue where the clutch engages very close to the start of the pull, is that correct?

Also.. the stock rear shock. im 175lb, do you think it will be too stiff for me? If so, can it be adjusted by clicks to make it softer?

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 04-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tknj99 View Post
So about the clutch issue, is it that the stock clutch cant be adjusted well enough by using the spinner adjustment?
From what i read it seems to be a comfort issue where the clutch engages very close to the start of the pull, is that correct?

Also.. the stock rear shock. im 175lb, do you think it will be too stiff for me? If so, can it be adjusted by clicks to make it softer?
It's not the clutch that can't be adjusted per se, it's the lever distance from the hand grip. So yes, definitely a comfort and ergonomic issue. Stock, with the clutch properly adjusted, the lever is way out there and is very hard to reach if you have small hands or short fingers. The AliExpress lever let's you adjust the lever throw independently from the actual clutch engagement adjustment.

For the shock, yep, it's gonna be stiff for your weight; I'm 190-200 lbs, 210-220 lbs with gear and I find it pretty stiff for my taste. It has softened up some as the miles have added up, but you will probably still want a softer spring. Check with pyoungbl, he sourced a softer spring and made a spacer for his OEM shock, IIRC; he should be able to tell you what he used and what the dimensions of his spacer were. I think CSC has been working this issue as well, since I remember pyoungbl posting up on ADVRider about an experimental shock set up that he was testing for CSC. You might want to give CSC a call after you get the bike if you decide that the spring rate is too much for you and see if they have come up with anything.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #23

As to the stiff rear suspension: You can adjust the preload on the shock spring. That means if the spring is a little soft for you it's pretty easy to compress it and eliminate some of that excess sag. If, on the other hand, the spring is too stiff you really cannot do much more than back off on preload as set by the factory. If it's still too stiff you need a different spring. I weigh about 195 dry, 210 wet and had to go to a softer spring. If the bike had been loaded down with lots of gear and maybe a passenger the story would be different. Check with CSC to see if they are offering anything. My solution was pretty easy for me because I have lots of spare time (retired), a lathe, and a bunch of scrap aluminum. Most people are not so lucky.

Whey you talk about adjusting the suspension by 'clicks' you are talking about changing the way the shock (not the spring) acts. The OEM shock does have those adjustments. I have mine set for the least amount of resistance am pretty happy with the shock. it's not Ohlins but also did not cost $1K.

Old 04-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #24

While I’m absolutely ok with getting a TT250 or Hawk for the reasons mentioned earlier, I’m wondering if the RX3 is a decent answer, as well. Can an RX3 be made to run trails well? Or is it also too heavy and unwieldy for a newbie?

Old 04-09-2021, 09:46 PM   #25

Quote:
While I’m absolutely ok with getting a TT250 or Hawk for the reasons mentioned earlier, I’m wondering if the RX3 is a decent answer, as well. Can an RX3 be made to run trails well? Or is it also too heavy and unwieldy for a newbie?
Most of what I said applies to the RX3 also; in a stripped down configuration, without luggage, it will come in around 385 lbs. I have both an RX3 and RX4 and can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in the ease of handling between the two, with the RX3 coming out on top due to less weight. I still would not want to learn off road riding on one, however. Compared to my TT250 it's still a pig. If you do decide on a RX3 and get a used one, note that there is a difference in the size of the stock front wheel between different model years; 2015 - 2017 RX3's come with an 18" front wheel, while 2018 and newer have 19" front wheels as stock. Both have 17" rear wheels. The bikes with 18" wheels can be upgraded via CSC with a 19" wheel, which goes for $200. A larger front wheel will give better handling on rough terrain due to the larger radius being able to roll over objects easier. Here again the TT250 trumps the ADV's, since it comes with 21" front wheel, the Hawk as well; the Brozz dual sports have 19" front wheels.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Working ZS has some really good information based on his own experiences with both of the full-size bikes CSC sells and he owns

Gut feeling/opinion: as a 'newbie', the RX3 would not be a good bike to run trails. The Youtuber 'Everride' gave the RX3 a terrible review a few years back, but that was mostly based on the RX3 not being a good off-road bike. Ironically, in his scathing review, I was actually impressed by what he was complaining about in his video; the RX3 was taking some very rough terrain, and Everride was complaining the bike was not an all-out MX bike or dual-sport. Duh! It wasn't meant to be, and yet his own video showed it on terrain the RX3 was most definitely not made to be flying over! Yet, it was, and nothing was breaking off...

So, I feel comfortable telling you the bike would be okay running trails based on a negative Youtubers review, but I would NOT be comfortable telling you to get one and learn on it. It would most definitely be a bike to get for trails once you have learned the basics of trail riding on a full-size dirtbike or dual-sport, and a year or so at that. The carbed Hawk 250 would be perfect for the job of learning on because of its low price, dropping it over and over would not be as harmful to your wallet while you are learning and gaining confidence. I feel that dropping the RX3 would damage it unnecessarily (I am talking about 'nuisance' things like trim items such as the turn signals and mirrors) and would be heavy to lift back up numerous times. All things you do with a dirtbike or dual-sport (dual-sport if legal street riding factors in your general riding plans).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 04-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #27

Late to the party but.....CARB Bikes 101:
As previously mentioned, any CSC bikes and also, the SSR XF250 is legal here for the street.

Be VERY careful when researching China Bike vendor sites. Many will say their bikes are CARB Legal....which is "kinda true". They are legal for sale in CA as Green or Red stickered for the dirt but are NOT street legal. I've almost fallen for that a few times just out of wishful thinking.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 03-15-2022, 12:23 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Working_ZS View Post
Most of what I said applies to the RX3 also; in a stripped down configuration, without luggage, it will come in around 385 lbs. I have both an RX3 and RX4 and can tell you that there is a noticeable difference in the ease of handling between the two, with the RX3 coming out on top due to less weight. I still would not want to learn off road riding on one, however. Compared to my TT250 it's still a pig. If you do decide on a RX3 and get a used one, note that there is a difference in the size of the stock front wheel between different model years; 2015 - 2017 RX3's come with an 18" front wheel, while 2018 and newer have 19" front wheels as stock. Both have 17" rear wheels. The bikes with 18" wheels can be upgraded via CSC with a 19" wheel, which goes for $200. A larger front wheel will give better handling on rough terrain due to the larger radius being able to roll over objects easier. Here again the TT250 trumps the ADV's, since it comes with 21" front wheel, the Hawk as well; the Brozz dual sports have 19" front wheels.
My RX3 weighed in at 388 pounds with the stock luggage and a half tank of gas. I've since removed the luggage and made custom side racks, since CSC won't sell the tourfella racks separately from the bags. Now I run easily removable soft bags. I tend to camp at a central location and then ride crazy dirt, and having quickly removable soft bags really is the ticket for me. I do keep the stock short trunk installed, though I'm thinking about using my spare seat pan to make a mount to attach it to the passenger seat, so I can have a backrest on long trips, and then pop the topcase off easily when I'm at my campsite.

If that doesn't work out, I may replace the screws inside the topcase with knobs to facilitate easy trunk removal.

In any case, I learned trail riding on a TW200, and was terrible at it. Bike was great, I wasn't. 15 years later I gave it another try with the CSC RX3, and found I really enjoyed it and was much more competent than I was in my youth. (I am a lot more careful now, back then I thought any situation could be solved by an aggressive application of throttle. Aka: "If in doubt, gun it!").

The RX3 with the narrow seat option and no luggage is a great lightweight trail bike. The RX4 is tall, topheavy, and a behemoth in comparison. It's heavier than my Benelli Leoncino Trail, which I do take places that really only a 250 dirtbike should go... but it's not top heavy or too tall for me either.

If not for the limited highway speeds and the abysmal gas mileage the RX3 gets at 70+mph, I'd ride it to the mountains every time. But as it stands, the Benelli is a lot more comfortable on the interstate.

Charles.

Old 03-15-2022, 02:53 PM   #29

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 03-16-2022, 08:40 AM   #30

Take that video with a grain of salt, as the Himma has dual sport tires on it and the RX4 is sporting street tires.

Charles.