Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #16

不要藐视叔,叔也出过书
Don't despise me (叔 uncle ie. older guy) & we written books (had more knowledge than low-life ie. U)

Old 05-28-2018, 10:46 PM   #17

Got back in town last night late, picked up the 300cc kit and took a look at it this morning. Nicely packaged to prevent shipping damage. All 8 corners of the shipping box were crushed, but not a mark on the inner box with the padding to keep the parts secure. Nice work!

I don't even know what all the extra pieces are for. The head and base gaskets come with the kit, but NZ included what looks like a complete top end gasket and seal set. I feel so spoiled. I'm due a bit of vacation on 31 May so about then I'll start the install.

I expect the bore kit with maybe a couple teeth on a new rear wheel sprocket will eliminate any craving for a 450. 250cc is fast enough for me and then some, just want more torque when loaded for a trip. 300cc should do that.

Thinking about buying another RX3 and doing some measurement on a complete teardown to see if there is room for a stroker crank. Need to get a few 300s thumping around to test durability of the rest of the driveline before spending a ton on stroker development. The 250 high rpm powerband feels like the head, cam EFI, and exhaust can provide good performance for a 350cc ADV bike stock. Won't rev like a crotch rocket, but the powerband will probably begin at idle and go steady up to 8500 to 8700rpm.

Then, there's always porting, polishing, port matching, maybe bigger valves will fit, less restrictive air filtration, and a custom exhaust. I have a potential source for cams, too. Those mods will compromise a bit of the bottom end, but if properly tuned and the ancillaries will hold up, I expect knocking on 40hp and still comfortably streetable.

Been a while since I tweeked a new engine. Always a fun project.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 AM   #18

The large brake rotor kit arrived yesterday (May 29) at my home in Virginia. I had sent NZ payment via Paypal on May 21. So I am very impressed with NZ's responsiveness and with the shipping time from Chengdu. BTW I got the kit that uses the stock RX3 caliper.

It may be a few days before I can try mounting the rotor on my RX3. But I do note that the kit uses a floating rotor style, with approximately 12.5 inch diameter. In comparison, the kit that CSC sells appears to use a non-floating rotor with an 11.5 inch diameter. So the kit NZ sourced uses a heavier, larger diameter rotor. The bracket in NZ's kit is pretty simple and a bit clunky looking, whereas a friend commented to me that the CSC kit included a nicely machined bracket. NZ included bolts for the mounting in his kit, but the CSC kit also includes new brake pads which NZ does not. I am not sure if the new brake pads in the CSC kit may be matched to the wider diameter of the rotor, or if they are just replacement pads for the stock caliper.

Presuming I have no mounting issues, NZ's kit should be a big improvement over the stock brakes. It's less than half the cost of CSC's kit including shipping. But the CSC kit would be a lighter option and may be more refined.

Further comments once I mount the kit.

Thanks to NZ for giving us this option.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
The large brake rotor kit arrived yesterday (May 29) at my home in Virginia. I had sent NZ payment via Paypal on May 21. So I am very impressed with NZ's responsiveness and with the shipping time from Chengdu. BTW I got the kit that uses the stock RX3 caliper.

It may be a few days before I can try mounting the rotor on my RX3. But I do note that the kit uses a floating rotor style, with approximately 12.5 inch diameter. In comparison, the kit that CSC sells appears to use a non-floating rotor with an 11.5 inch diameter. So the kit NZ sourced uses a heavier, larger diameter rotor. The bracket in NZ's kit is pretty simple and a bit clunky looking, whereas a friend commented to me that the CSC kit included a nicely machined bracket. NZ included bolts for the mounting in his kit, but the CSC kit also includes new brake pads which NZ does not. I am not sure if the new brake pads in the CSC kit may be matched to the wider diameter of the rotor, or if they are just replacement pads for the stock caliper.

Presuming I have no mounting issues, NZ's kit should be a big improvement over the stock brakes. It's less than half the cost of CSC's kit including shipping. But the CSC kit would be a lighter option and may be more refined.

Further comments once I mount the kit.

Thanks to NZ for giving us this option.

Welcome!
Yes I think the kit could or should improve - but at that moment I had no actual bike to test on, I had not yet seen the actual kit hence I offered at a stupid low price for you to test etc.
I think I will just offer a 4 pot version, NOW that I have an RX3 AGAIN I can look at things test things photo things and ask opinions on things so kits etc etc can be more to how most would like it to be (Priced according to the extra's etc)
I need to redo my bikes front end but the seller has such complex and confusing options I and my wife cannot work out what to actually order (SAD)
I might buy 1 of each option and work thru that to just work out what would work best mechanical price point with shipping etc.
Maybe Option A B or C etc or just drop the simple cheaper and only sell the better (Remember freight to the USA is the same on cheaper or expensive parts) The rotors for all options are the same, then either stock caliper, 4 pot caliper (3 options and master cylinder ( I think 3-5 options)
VERY confusing!

Old 06-03-2018, 03:07 AM   #20

RX3 320mm Front Brake 4 4 piston caliper

So I am now on the front brake upgrade - few photos to show the situation and ease/complexity of fitting it al etc (not that hard but had to tidy a couple things up)
Here's the end result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502337.jpg (87.8 KB, 476 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 03:10 AM   #21

God surface contact etc - not high or low
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502336.jpg (85.6 KB, 471 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #22

As you can see it needs bedding in still, bike is not yet ready to ride, pads are not cintered bronze or copper etc but looking at the diameter increase and surface increase I doubt any more is needed (No use to lock the front wheel!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502321.jpg (79.3 KB, 488 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 03:18 AM   #23

the bracket is flat Ali - thickness around 10mm (Damn forgot to measure that!)
Issue I had tho was the caliper bolts in the bracket to attach the caliper were maybe 0.2mm out and too far apart so a rats file on both holes to bring them just that little closer together (Really need to talk to that supplier as it should just fit directly but..... This is China and if it can be solved by the fitter then they may not care)

The caliper bolts are nice but about 4-5mm too long which does not harm anything tho.
The other bolts where caliper use to go and now mounts the bracket would look better if they were flange bolts rather then the ugly plain Jane style they are ( I am going to buy new bits to improve the kits) Something like a 4kg box tho! all that is not light
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502335.jpg (84.3 KB, 483 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 03:23 AM   #24

Master cylinder

As you can see a nice master cylinder, commonly used on like motard bikes ( It is a branded unit, not a world famous brand tho)
It has a neat wee remote reservoir and the mirror act ask the mounting bolt for the bracket.
Note this M/C does not have a place for the brake light switch but I bought a pressure switch which I need to change the wires on to directly plug into the old pair of terminal and as tidy as possible without cutting original loom area.
The stock hose was hosed and it was 90 degrees to the master and now it's underneath so a wee twist around was fine. (Making or doing things with hoses complicates regulations etc, its fine how it is or suggest a better solution)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502331.jpg (77.3 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502332.jpg (80.9 KB, 464 views)
File Type: jpg WeChat Image_201806031502333.jpg (80.5 KB, 456 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #25

Reminds me of me when I was young and not so bright. First SOHC Cb750 bored and stroked to 836cc with Mikunis and Denco top end and pipes I ever saw with triple discs and 5.10-16 tires to take advantage of the stopping ability. FUN! FUN! Stop on a dime, toss you over the bars to pick up the 9 pennies off the ground. No fade when stopping from 172mph/277kph, over and over. Best way to pass Kawasaki triples and Yamaha fours in the olden days was to out brake them.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #26

Large brake rotor kit

This is a follow up post on the large brake rotor kit I got from Nz. I noted earlier that his shipping was prompt. Unfortunately the large brake rotor and bracket combination did not work the the stock caliper.

Once I let Nz know that the rotor and mount he shipped did not work on my bike, he refunded my payment with no further questions. I think he is trying hard to get his venture to work out and I wish him the best. If I needed other RX3 parts at this point I would work with him again.

Old 06-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #27

Local dealers RX line up

Rx1 rx3srx3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1BFF9DC1-787D-44C4-8C99-EAC4CDF5682B.jpg (20.0 KB, 477 views)

Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
This is a follow up post on the large brake rotor kit I got from Nz. I noted earlier that his shipping was prompt. Unfortunately the large brake rotor and bracket combination did not work the the stock caliper.

Once I let Nz know that the rotor and mount he shipped did not work on my bike, he refunded my payment with no further questions. I think he is trying hard to get his venture to work out and I wish him the best. If I needed other RX3 parts at this point I would work with him again.
Cher’s mate
Now that I have an RX3 I can test fit and R&D so to avoid issues and so in

Old 06-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #29

Hai NzBrakelathes, I'm from Malaysia and I'm currently using the carb version of the bike. I've done a lot of reading about the 300cc kit and I'm interested in buying and testing it. How much is the cost for 1 kit shipped to Malaysia? Is it still on promo?

Old 06-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paeksukis View Post
Hai NzBrakelathes, I'm from Malaysia and I'm currently using the carb version of the bike. I've done a lot of reading about the 300cc kit and I'm interested in buying and testing it. How much is the cost for 1 kit shipped to Malaysia? Is it still on promo?
Hello hi greetings from China! But I am from New Zealand tho so relax.
it's $250 ith extras to the USA ($45 of that is shipping) So $205 plus shipping to anywhere you might be if DHL or UPS reaches you etc.
I have added in a bunch of small parts that you might need just incase so it is more then just the factory kit.
I will gladly send you a set etc just PM me