Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #16

Wheel Sound Video

Old 11-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #17

This is not a good situtation, Mike. If the bearings sounded "dry and crunchy" when you examined them, they are probably damaged. I wouldn't ride any farther than the dealership until after they diagnose, and fix the problem.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #18

I just watched your video. Either a bearing is bad, or the speedometer sensor is damaged. You should be protected by your warranty coverage; it's obvious this is a factory/dealership defect. Perhaps the dealership installed the front wheel improperly when they assembled the bike.

Once again, I advise you not to ride the bike any farther than the dealership until after they diagnose, and fix the problem. The should swap a front wheel assembly from another motorcycle, and send you away quickly as a happy customer. They can fix the bad wheel later, rather than make you wait.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #19

Thanks Spud

Yes, I agree. I was just hoping for a quick and easy fix since its a brand new bike and I want to ride and not wrench. Its parked for now and I hope to get to the dealer tomorrow. Luckily taxis are cheap enough here. I can go anywhere in town for about $1.50 USD

Old 11-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #20

Even silicone will work as a thread locker in a pinch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-23-2015, 02:06 PM   #21

Wheel Spacer

Let me start by saying that you guys and this forum are awesome. I really appreciate all of the great information, advice, stories, technical data and I am sure a few lies that get posted here daily. Last week and this week at work I have had nothing to do...yes, literally nothing to do, so I have been here and/or on other sites all day long. Ok now to the point. My bike is sitting at home with what I hope is only bad front wheel bearings waiting for me to get off work to take it for repair. I have been researching the hell out of the issue and think I may have found another issue. The buddy that helped me work on the bike yesterday and I were looking at the owners manual posted on this site (Thank you Spud) and he thinks that maybe the spacer/sleeve shown in the photo below is not in there. We didnt remove the bearings yesterday only greased everyhting well. But he thinks when he had his finger in that space that he doesnt remeber if he flt it there. This may be the reason for the bad bearings and also for the fact that the wheel gets difficult to spin the tighter you make the axle bolt. We will hopefully verify tonight. I am tempted to do the repair on the bearings myself because I am worried the dealer will want to keep the bike a day or two if I make a warranty claim. But if that spacer is missing I may be really screwed for a while since I am sure that its not a common or in stock part for them. Does anyone have any information on the specifics on the size of this part so that if needed I can have one made?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  Wheel spacer.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  16.4 KB

Old 11-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #22

Fuel line to Carb hose clamp

One other note for bikes with a carb. I noticed last night when I was looking at adding an inline fuel filter that the bike does not have a hose clamp on the carb side of the fuel line An easy fix but a sloppy mistake on someones part. Jut an FYI for those with carbs to double check their bikes. The hose is a very tight fit to the nipple on the carb but thats when the bike is cool. When everything gets hot it may be a different story.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM   #23

The bike comes with a clamp. Maybe the dealer 'forgot' to put it in for some reason

Here's a pic of mine (I'm from Argentina, its called the Corven Touring here) when I was removing the fuel tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151005_204844__.jpg (37.6 KB, 219 views)

Old 11-23-2015, 04:54 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonaMike View Post
...maybe the spacer/sleeve shown in the photo below is not in there. We didnt remove the bearings yesterday only greased everyhting well. But he thinks when he had his finger in that space that he doesnt remeber if he flt it there. This may be the reason for the bad bearings and also for the fact that the wheel gets difficult to spin the tighter you make the axle bolt...

...Does anyone have any information on the specifics on the size of this part so that if needed I can have one made?? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachment 4043
Yes, the wheel bearing spacer is necessary. It prevents side loading of the bearings. If this spacer is not installed, the wheel will definitely bind when you tighten the axle. However, this bearing is installed at the factory, and it can't come out unless your remove one of the wheel bearings.

If this wheel bearing spacer is missing, and you didn't remove it, you got a defective wheel from the factory. In that case the dealer should pull the front wheel off another motorcycle, and send you home as a happy customer.

The dimensions of the wheel bearing spacer are critical, and I don't know the dimensions. Riding a bike without this spacer will damage the bearings. If the dealer won't swap a front wheel for you, he needs to replace the bearings as well as install the missing spacer.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #25

Front wheel bearing spacer parts

There appears to be two parts between the bearings.

1. Support ring: http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Suppor...-p/z50-109.htm

2. Spacer or inner bush: http://www.cscmotorcycles.com/Inner-...-p/z50-110.htm

Depending on how the middle of the hub is machined, it's possible the bush fell below the axle line while the axle was out. The worry is on the dealer and distributor.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #26

My bike also has a bushing tube inside the hub between the two bearings. It appears to serve no purpose and I thought about leaving it out.

/

Old 11-23-2015, 08:48 PM   #27

The wheel bearing spacer (bushing) is necessary. It prevents side loading of the bearings; that is why all my motorcycle wheels have them. The support ring keeps the spacer/bushing in the middle of the hub, so it doesn't slip down, making it hard to get the axle through the hub.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #28

My new bearings I could spin the center of the bearing with my finger. When I installed the bearings that center bushing tube put pressure on the bearings and I could no longer spin the center with my finger. I am guessing they are likely spinning as needed with the hub axle but I could no longer turn them with my finger. That kind of surprised and worried me that something went together wrong.

/

Old 11-23-2015, 10:09 PM   #29

And a related question in regards to the bearings and axle. I am not sure how to phrase this correctly. When the wheel spins does the axle spin in the center of the bearings? Or does the center ring of the bearing spin?

/

Old 11-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
And a related question in regards to the bearings and axle. I am not sure how to phrase this correctly. When the wheel spins does the axle spin in the center of the bearings? Or does the center ring of the bearing spin?

/
Neither the axle, nor the center races of the bearings are supposed to spin. The axle and center races of the bearings are supposed to form a solid, or almost solid unit. This prevents lateral, or side loading on the bearings. The bearings are supposed to spin on the outer races, which are connected to the hub. This arrangement also prevents the axle and inner races of the hub from wearing down due to abrasion.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Tags
adventour, akt tt, akt tt 250, colombia